- Neil Rosenshein (Tenor)
- Kiri Te Kanawa
- Richard van Allan (Bass Baritone)
- Elisabeth Bainbridge (Mezzo Soprano)
- Patricia Bardon (Mezzo Soprano)
- John Connell (Bass)
- Linda Finnie
- Nicolai Gedda
- Thomas Hampson
Notes & Reviews:
The highly successful Opera in English series continues with Tchaikovsky's "Eugene Onegin". This all star cast recording, made in 1994, features singers who have made an impact internationally on the opera scene.
Mackerras conducts a loving, well-contoured reading with what were then his Welsh National forces. Above all, Sir Charles is aware of the sheer beauty of the composer's orchestral writing... The recording is excellent, as are the accompanying notes. If you want the piece in the vernacular this version will give pleasure.
The recording is sung in English, which is preferable to the Russian-on-autopilot approach that has marred many versions of the work
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Handel: Dettingen Te Deum, etc / Helbich, Mields, et al
Tchaikovsky: The Slippers / Melik-Pahayev, Nelepp, et al
Massenet: Thais / Abel, Fleming, Hampson, Sabbatini, et al
Tchaikovsky: Dances and Overtures / Kuchar, et al
Tenors of the Bolshoi / Kozlovsky, Vinogradov, Lemeshev, etc
Grand Tier - Bellini: I Puritani / Muti, Pavarotti, Freni, Bruscantini
Gemini - Music for Trumpet / Maurice Andre
Mozart: Clarinet Quintet, Flute Quartets / Aston Magna
Tchaikovsky: Symphony no 6 / Jansons, Oslo Philharmonic
Works DetailsTchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Eugen Onegin
- Performers: Elisabeth Bainbridge (Mezzo Soprano); Patricia Bardon (Mezzo Soprano); John Connell (Bass); Linda Finnie; Nicolai Gedda; Thomas Hampson; Neil Rosenshein (Tenor); Kiri Te Kanawa; Richard van Allan (Bass Baritone)
- Conductor: Charles Mackerras
- Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Chorus
- Notes: Brangwyn Hall, Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales (06/29/1992-07/06/1992)
- Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1877-1878