- Nicolai Gedda
- Kiri Te Kanawa
- Thomas Hampson
- John Connell (Bass)
- Linda Finnie
- Elisabeth Bainbridge (Mezzo Soprano)
- Neil Rosenshein (Tenor)
- Richard van Allan (Bass Baritone)
- Patricia Bardon (Mezzo Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
The highly successful Opera in English series continues with Tchaikovsky's "Eugene Onegin". This all star cast recording, made in 1994, features singers who have made an impact internationally on the opera scene.
Mackerras conducts a loving, well-contoured reading with what were then his Welsh National forces. Above all, Sir Charles is aware of the sheer beauty of the composer's orchestral writing... The recording is excellent, as are the accompanying notes. If you want the piece in the vernacular this version will give pleasure.
The recording is sung in English, which is preferable to the Russian-on-autopilot approach that has marred many versions of the work
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsTchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Eugen Onegin
- Performers: Nicolai Gedda; Kiri Te Kanawa; Thomas Hampson; John Connell (Bass); Linda Finnie; Elisabeth Bainbridge (Mezzo Soprano); Neil Rosenshein (Tenor); Richard van Allan (Bass Baritone); Patricia Bardon (Mezzo Soprano)
- Conductor: Charles Mackerras
- Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Chorus
- Notes: Brangwyn Hall, Swansea, Glamorgan, Wales (06/29/1992-07/06/1992)
- Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1877-1878