1 800 222 6872

Shura Charkassky - The Historic 1940s Recordings

Album Summary

>Saint-Saëns, Camille : Suite for piano in F major, Op. 90
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Polka W.R., for piano in A flat major, TN ii/18
>Poulenc, Francis : Trois pièces, for piano, FP 48
>Chaminade, Cécile L. : Pièces Humoristiques, for piano, Op. 87
>Brahms, Johannes : Sonata for Piano no 3 in F minor, Op. 5
>Liszt, Franz : Liebesträume, notturno for piano no 3 in A flat major ("O Lieb, so lang du lieben kannst"), S. 541/
>Liszt, Franz : Gnomenreigen, for piano (Zwei Konzertetüden no 2), S. 145/2 (LW A218/2)
>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsody, for piano no 5 in E minor ("Héroïde-élégiaque"), S. 244/5 (LW A132/5)
>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsodies (19) for Piano, S 244
>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsody, for piano no 15 in A minor (Rákóczi-Marsch III), S. 244/15 (LW A132/15)
>Khachaturian, Aram : Toccata for piano in E flat minor
>Medtner, Nikolai : Fairy Tales (Skazki) (4) for piano, Op. 34
>Prokofiev, Sergey : Pieces (4) for piano, Op. 4
>Liadov, Anatole : Musical snuffbox, Op. 32
>Glinka, Mikhail : Tarantella, for piano in A minor, G. vi217
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Preludes (24) for Piano, Op. 34
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude for piano in D minor, Op. 34/24
>Scriabin, Alexander : Pieces (2) for Piano left hand, Op. 9
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Les saisons, Op. 37b
>Rebikov, Vladimir I. : Waltz from "Yolka" ("The Christmas Tree"), for piano, Op. 21
>Gould, Morton : Prelude & Toccata
>Gould, Morton : Boogie Woogie Etude
>Chopin, Frédéric : Polonaise for piano no 6 in A flat major ("Héroique"), Op. 53, CT. 155
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 46 in C major, Op. 68/1, CT. 96
>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 24 in C major, Op. 33/3, CT. 74
>Chopin, Frédéric : Impromptu for Piano no 2 in F sharp major, B 129/Op. 36
>Chopin, Frédéric : Fantasy-Impromptu for piano in C sharp minor, Op. 66, CT. 46
>Chopin, Frédéric : Fantasie for Piano in F minor/A flat major, B 137/Op. 49
>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 12 in C minor ("Revolutionary"), Op. 10/12, CT. 25
>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 4 in C sharp minor, Op. 10/4, CT. 17
Performer Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Shura Cherkassky, as a pupil of the legendary Josef Hofmann, was imbued in the nineteenth-century tradition of Romantic piano-playing. His recordings and performances are testaments to an art form that few could master. In this 2-CD set, Ivory Classics presents Cherkassky's recordings made during the 1940s. Compiled and restored for the first time using state-of-the-art technology, this two-disc release also includes a lavishly illustrated and annotated 28-page booklet.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Saint-Saëns, Camille : Suite for piano in F major, Op. 90 :: Prelude and Fugue in F minor
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1891

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Polka W.R., for piano in A flat major, TN ii/18
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1911

>Poulenc, Francis : Trois pièces, for piano, FP 48 :: Toccata
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1928

>Chaminade, Cécile L. : Pièces Humoristiques, for piano, Op. 87 :: Autrefois
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Brahms, Johannes : Sonata for Piano no 3 in F minor, Op. 5
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 29 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1853

>Liszt, Franz : Liebesträume, notturno for piano no 3 in A flat major ("O Lieb, so lang du lieben kannst"), S. 541/
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1843-1850

>Liszt, Franz : Gnomenreigen, for piano (Zwei Konzertetüden no 2), S. 145/2 (LW A218/2)
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1862-1863

>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsody, for piano no 5 in E minor ("Héroïde-élégiaque"), S. 244/5 (LW A132/5)
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1847

>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsodies (19) for Piano, S 244
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1847

>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsodies (19) for Piano, S 244
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1847

>Liszt, Franz : Hungarian Rhapsody, for piano no 15 in A minor (Rákóczi-Marsch III), S. 244/15 (LW A132/15)
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1853

>Khachaturian, Aram : Toccata for piano in E flat minor
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1932

>Medtner, Nikolai : Fairy Tales (Skazki) (4) for piano, Op. 34 :: no 2 in E minor
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: ?1916-17

>Prokofiev, Sergey : Pieces (4) for piano, Op. 4 :: no 4, Suggestion Diabolique
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1908

>Liadov, Anatole : Musical snuffbox, Op. 32
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1893

>Glinka, Mikhail : Tarantella, for piano in A minor, G. vi217
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1843

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Preludes (24) for Piano, Op. 34
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1932-33.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1932-1933

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Prelude for piano in D minor, Op. 34/24
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1932-33.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1932-1933

>Scriabin, Alexander : Pieces (2) for Piano left hand, Op. 9
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1894

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Les saisons, Op. 37b
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1875-1876

>Rebikov, Vladimir I. : Waltz from "Yolka" ("The Christmas Tree"), for piano, Op. 21
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Christmas

>Gould, Morton : Prelude & Toccata
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Gould, Morton : Boogie Woogie Etude
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1943

>Chopin, Frédéric : Polonaise for piano no 6 in A flat major ("Héroique"), Op. 53, CT. 155
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1842-1843

>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 46 in C major, Op. 68/1, CT. 96
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: circa 1830

>Chopin, Frédéric : Mazurka for piano no 24 in C major, Op. 33/3, CT. 74
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1837

>Chopin, Frédéric : Impromptu for Piano no 2 in F sharp major, B 129/Op. 36
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1839

>Chopin, Frédéric : Fantasy-Impromptu for piano in C sharp minor, Op. 66, CT. 46
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1834

>Chopin, Frédéric : Fantasie for Piano in F minor/A flat major, B 137/Op. 49
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 12 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1841

>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 12 in C minor ("Revolutionary"), Op. 10/12, CT. 25
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1830-1832

>Chopin, Frédéric : Etude for piano no 4 in C sharp minor, Op. 10/4, CT. 17
  • Performer: Shura Cherkassky (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1832