1 800 222 6872

Rachmaninov: Piano Transcriptions / Vladimir Ashkenazy

Album Summary

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Suite from the Violin Partita in E major
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Schubert's "Wohin?" from "Die Schöne Müllerin" for piano, TN iii/10
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Mendelssohn's "Scherzo" from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" for piano, TN iii/7
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Bizet's "Minuet" from "L'Arlesienne-Suite No 1" for piano, TN iii/3
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Mussorgsky's "Hopak" from opera "Sorochintsy Fair" for piano (also for piano & vioi
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" from "The Tale of the Tsar Saltan" for
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Tchaikovsky's "Lullaby for piano, Op.16/1," TN iii/14
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Polka W.R., for piano in A flat major, TN ii/18
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Lilacs, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/5
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Daisies, song for voice & piano, Op. 38/3
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Kreisler's "Liebesleid" for piano, TN iii/5
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Kreisler's "Liebesfreud" for piano, TNiii/5
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Morceaux (6), for piano, 4 hands, Op. 11
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Pieces (2) for piano, 6 hands, TN ii/22
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Polka italienne, for piano, 4 hands in E flat minor/E flat major, TN ii/21
>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Smith's "The Star-Spangled Banner" for piano, TN iii/11
Performers Composer

Notes & Reviews:

This is the first time that Vladimir Ashkenazy has recorded the Rachmaninov Transcriptions throughout his 30 year career with Decca. The transcriptions are based on both Rachmaninov's own works and those of other composers and require a great deal of virtuosity and flair from the soloist. Included are transcriptions of music by Bach, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Bizet, Tchaikovsky, Kreisler and Mussorgsky.

BBC Music Magazine
The Bach Partita movements and the Mendelssohn Scherzo are exuberantly executed with wonderfully shaded phrasing and clear voicing.

bbc.co.uk - Paul Cutts
Ashkenazy - a long-time champion of Rachmaninov's music - rattles it all off with a technical ease that borders on prestidigitatious. But there's also an innate sympathy with the musical language...The reworking of Tchaikovsky's Lullaby embodies all that's best in the art of transcription - it's both a loving homage and a distinctly personal poetic statement.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Suite from the Violin Partita in E major :: Prelude, Gavotte & Gigue, transcription for piano after J.
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Teldec Studio, Berlin, Germany (12/18/2000-12/19/2000)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1933

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Schubert's "Wohin?" from "Die Schöne Müllerin" for piano, TN iii/10
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1925

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Mendelssohn's "Scherzo" from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" for piano, TN iii/7
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Teldec Studio, Berlin, Germany (12/18/2000-12/19/2000)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1933

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Bizet's "Minuet" from "L'Arlesienne-Suite No 1" for piano, TN iii/3
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1900

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Mussorgsky's "Hopak" from opera "Sorochintsy Fair" for piano (also for piano & vioi
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Teldec Studio, Berlin, Germany (12/18/2000-12/19/2000)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1923

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumblebee" from "The Tale of the Tsar Saltan" for
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1929

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Tchaikovsky's "Lullaby for piano, Op.16/1," TN iii/14
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1941

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Polka W.R., for piano in A flat major, TN ii/18
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Teldec Studio, Berlin, Germany (12/18/2000-12/19/2000)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1911

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Lilacs, song for voice & piano, Op. 21/5
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Teldec Studio, Berlin, Germany (12/18/2000-12/19/2000)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Daisies, song for voice & piano, Op. 38/3
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Teldec Studio, Berlin, Germany (12/18/2000-12/19/2000)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1916

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Kreisler's "Liebesleid" for piano, TN iii/5
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Teldec Studio, Berlin, Germany (12/18/2000-12/19/2000)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1921

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Kreisler's "Liebesfreud" for piano, TNiii/5
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1925

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Morceaux (6), for piano, 4 hands, Op. 11
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Vovka Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 26 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1894

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Pieces (2) for piano, 6 hands, TN ii/22 :: Waltz for piano six hands
  • Performers: Dody Ashkenazy (Piano); Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Vovka Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1890-1891

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Pieces (2) for piano, 6 hands, TN ii/22 :: Romance for piano six hands
  • Performers: Dody Ashkenazy (Piano); Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Vovka Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1890-1891

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Polka italienne, for piano, 4 hands in E flat minor/E flat major, TN ii/21
  • Performers: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano); Vovka Ashkenazy (Piano); Alastair Mackie (Trumpet)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1906

>Rachmaninov, Sergey : Transcription of Smith's "The Star-Spangled Banner" for piano, TN iii/11
  • Performer: Vladimir Ashkenazy (Piano)
  • Notes: Potton Hall, Dunwich, Suffolk, England (12/10/2000-12/12/2000)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1918