- Jean-Michel Ankaoua (Baritone)
- Pascal Bertin (Countertenor)
- Florian Deuter (Violin)
- Alan Ewing (Bass)
- Charlotte Hellekant (Mezzo Soprano)
- Magdalena Kozená (Mezzo Soprano)
- Hector McDonald (Horn)
- Bejun Mehta
- Marijana Mijanovic (Alto)
- Anne von Otter (Mezzo Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
"The orchestra plays brilliantly, with the (then) novelty of Handel's horn parts ringing out in special power. One would never guess there was an audience in the house from the first-class balances and engineering." - Barker, ARG
On René Jacobs's recording Barbara Schlick is bright and nimble. But for seductiveness and subtlety she is outclassed in this "live" 2002 recording from Vienna by Magdalena Koená, who catches all the enchantment of the glorious "Parnassus" tableau. Koená brings tragic intensity to her great laments "Per pietà" and "Piangerò", using ornamentation to heighten the expression when the opening music returns.
bbc.co.uk - Andrew McGregor
Marijana Mijanovic is impressive, with a full, flexible bottom-end to the range that puts plenty of counter-tenors to shame...she's able to knock out the more virtuosic arias with impressive fire. As Cleopatra, Magdalena Koená is superb, with real beauty of tone and impressive ornamentation, never over-sentimentalising her romantic moments.
As established in the Overture, Minkowski prefers speeds on the fast side, sometimes very fast, with playing clear and clipped...[Kozena's] is a commanding performance, deeply moving in her big lyrical numbers, V'adoro and Piangero, for which Minkowksi allows full warmth and tenderness at aptly spacious speeds. Marijana Mijanovic sings powerfully in the title-role
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Puccini: Gianni Schicchi / Rahbari, Rinaldi, Lisnic, et al
Bellini: I Capuleti e i Montecchi / R. Abbado, Kasarova, Mei
Horn Concertos / Pokorny, Rosetti, Stich
Boccherini: Flute Quintets / Auser Musici
Lidarti: Violin Concertos / D'Orazio, Auser Musici
Hasse: Salve regina / Reinhard Goebel, Musica Antiqua Köln
Liszt: Male Choruses, Vol. 1
Bedrich Smetana: Libuse / Jaroslav Krombholc, et al
Senza Continuo: Bassano, Hume, Marais, Etc.
Works DetailsHandel, George Frideric : Giulio Cesare
- Performers: Jean-Michel Ankaoua (Baritone); Pascal Bertin (Countertenor); Florian Deuter (Violin); Alan Ewing (Bass); Charlotte Hellekant (Mezzo Soprano); Magdalena Kozená (Mezzo Soprano); Hector McDonald (Horn); Bejun Mehta; Marijana Mijanovic (Alto); Anne von Otter (Mezzo Soprano)
- Conductor: Marc Minkowski
- Ensemble: Les Musiciens du Louvre
- Running Time: 204 min. 31 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1724