1 800 222 6872

A Scottish Ladymass / Red Byrd

Album Summary

>Anonymous, Scottish : Gaudeamus omnes, introit 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Rex, virginum amator, kyrie 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Gloria. Per precem, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Propter veritatem, gradual 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Alleluya. Ave Maria gratia plena, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Alleluya. Virga florem germinavit, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Missus Gabriel de celis, sequence 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Hodierne lux diei, sequence 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : O vere beata sublimis, offertory 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Sanctus Mater mitis, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Sanctus Christe ierarchia, chant (10th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Sanctus. Voce vita, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Agnus Dei, Archetipi mundi, chant (10th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Agnus Dei, Factus homo, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
>Anonymous, Scottish : Principes persecuti sunt, communion 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

"The academic importance of Red Byrd's work is high, but it is the serene beauty of the singing that will attract most listeners." - ClassicsToday.com "Red Byrd's recordings have been consistently superb." - Fanfare

'The listener is left marvelling at the ingenuity and imagination that produced such an intriguing wealth of rhythmic, harmonic and textural effects from the interplay of just two voices. Red Byrd's performances convincingly recreate this distant sound-world, as well as conveying the excitement with which musicians must have explored the thrilling possibilities opened up by the idea of having two notes sounding simultaneously... an immensely rewarding disc...' (The Daily Telegraph)

'In the hands of John Potter and Richard Wistreich, the two singers who constitute Red Byrd, the music is beguiling. It's surprisingly varied, ranging from pieces conceived as note-against-note, two-part polyphony to the extraordinarily ornate Sanctus Christe ierarchia, one of the two Parisian pieces included for the sake of contrast' (Sunday Times)

'Written mostly for two voices in a stark, direct style, Red Byrd's austere performances project a wonderfully convincing harmonic picture of sacred music from the medieval Kingdom of Fife... These performances, with the skilled choral contributions of YORVOX, a York University vocal ensemble, offer something new at every listening' (Sunday Herald)

'In bringing this repertory to life in so convincing a manner, they [Red Byrd] allow the listener to share in the beauty of polyphony coming into a period of rich blossom. That they have done so with such consummate artistry places us all in their debt' (Opera Today, USA)

'Recorded in an atmospherically resonant acoustic, the singing is throaty rather than floaty, with just enough guttural emphasis to sound plausibly monkish' (International Record Review)

'beautifully performed and intelligently recorded' (BBC Music Magazine)

'a first-rate addition for any collection... Do not hesitate to acquire this, and put in a good word for more of the same' (Fanfare, USA)

'What impresses most in Red Byrd's approach is the way the clear rhythmicization of the musical phrases is yet so independent of any sense of regular, restrictive beat; this fluidity does not, however, prevent a formidably accurate sense of co-ordination' (Early Music, OUP Journal)



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Anonymous, Scottish : Gaudeamus omnes, introit 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Rex, virginum amator, kyrie 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 28 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Gloria. Per precem, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 37 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Propter veritatem, gradual 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 56 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Alleluya. Ave Maria gratia plena, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Alleluya. Virga florem germinavit, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 2 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Missus Gabriel de celis, sequence 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 26 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Hodierne lux diei, sequence 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : O vere beata sublimis, offertory 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 54 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Sanctus Mater mitis, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Sanctus Christe ierarchia, chant (10th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 54 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Sanctus. Voce vita, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 47 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Agnus Dei, Archetipi mundi, chant (10th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 58 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Agnus Dei, Factus homo, 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 12th Century

>Anonymous, Scottish : Principes persecuti sunt, communion 2 part organum (11th fascicle of W1)
  • Ensemble: Red Byrd
  • Notes: St. Alban's Church, Holborn, London, England (04/21/2001-04/22/2001)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 41 sec.
  • Written: 12th Century