1 800 222 6872

English Song Series 13 - Britten - Folksong Arrangements 2

Album Summary

>Britten, Benjamin : Folk Song Arrangements (8), for high voice & harp
>Britten, Benjamin : The Holly and the Ivy, folksong arrangement for chorus
>Britten, Benjamin : King Herod and the Cock, for unison chorus & piano
>Britten, Benjamin : The Twelve Apostles, for tenor, unison voices & piano
>Britten, Benjamin : The Bitter Withy, folk song for tenor, boys' chorus & piano (unfinished)
>Britten, Benjamin : French Folk Songs (5), for baritone & orchestra
>Britten, Benjamin : The Salley Gardens, folk song for high voice & strings
>Britten, Benjamin : Little Sir William, folk song (version for high voice & orchestra)
>Britten, Benjamin : The Bonny Earl o' Moray, folk song for high voice & orchestra
>Britten, Benjamin : O Can Ye Sew Cushions? (Benjamin Britten)
>Britten, Benjamin : Oliver Cromwell, folk song for high voice & orchestra
>Britten, Benjamin : The Plough Boy, folk song for high voice & orchestra
>Britten, Benjamin : O Waly, Waly, folk song for high voice & strings
>Britten, Benjamin : Come you not from Newcastle?, folk song for high voice & orchestra
>Britten, Benjamin : The Salley Gardens, folk song for high or medium voice, bassoon or cello, harp or piano & strings
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Britten was throughout his life drawn to folk song, possessing a special gift for word-setting and vocal writing. This release, and the first volume (8.557220), both resurrected from the Collins Classics catalog, present all the known folk songs, including 10 world premiere recordings of arrangement published as recently as 2001.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Britten, Benjamin : Folk Song Arrangements (8), for high voice & harp
  • Performers: Osian Ellis (Harp); Philip Langridge
  • Notes: St Giles Cripplegate, London, England (02/20/1995-02/25/1995)
  • Running Time: 18 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1976

>Britten, Benjamin : The Holly and the Ivy, folksong arrangement for chorus
  • Performers: Margaret Feaviour (Soprano); Judith Harris; Vernon Kirk (Tenor); Graham Titus (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Simon Joly
  • Ensemble: Northern Sinfonia
  • Running Time: 3 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1957

>Britten, Benjamin : King Herod and the Cock, for unison chorus & piano
  • Performers: Philip Langridge; David Norris (Piano)
  • Conductor: Christopher Barnett
  • Notes: Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Snape, Suffolk, England (01/21/1995-01/22/1995)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1965

>Britten, Benjamin : The Twelve Apostles, for tenor, unison voices & piano
  • Performers: Philip Langridge; David Norris (Piano)
  • Conductor: Christopher Barnett
  • Notes: Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Snape, Suffolk, England (01/21/1995-01/22/1995)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1962

>Britten, Benjamin : The Bitter Withy, folk song for tenor, boys' chorus & piano (unfinished)
  • Performers: Philip Langridge; David Norris (Piano)
  • Conductor: Christopher Barnett
  • Notes: Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Snape, Suffolk, England (01/21/1995-01/22/1995)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Britten, Benjamin : French Folk Songs (5), for baritone & orchestra
  • Performer: Thomas Allen (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 9 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1945-1946

>Britten, Benjamin : The Salley Gardens, folk song for high voice & strings
  • Performer: Thomas Allen (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1942

>Britten, Benjamin : Little Sir William, folk song (version for high voice & orchestra)
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 2 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1942

>Britten, Benjamin : The Bonny Earl o' Moray, folk song for high voice & orchestra
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1942

>Britten, Benjamin : O Can Ye Sew Cushions? (Benjamin Britten)
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 2 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1944

>Britten, Benjamin : Oliver Cromwell, folk song for high voice & orchestra
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1942

>Britten, Benjamin : The Plough Boy, folk song for high voice & orchestra
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 1 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1946

>Britten, Benjamin : O Waly, Waly, folk song for high voice & strings
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 3 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Britten, Benjamin : Come you not from Newcastle?, folk song for high voice & orchestra
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 1 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: ?1959

>Britten, Benjamin : The Salley Gardens, folk song for high or medium voice, bassoon or cello, harp or piano & strings
  • Performer: Philip Langridge
  • Conductor: Steuart Bedford
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: circa 1955