- Ulrich Studer (Baritone)
- Olaf Schroder (Voice)
- Jordi Molina (Tenor)
- Anke Berndt (Soprano)
- Jürgen Trakel
- Eva Bátori (Soprano)
- Michaela Schuster (Mezzo-Soprano)
- Ki-Hyun Park (Bass)
- Nils Giesecke (Baritone)
- Roman Trekel (Baritone)
- Richard Brünner
- Gerd Vogel (Bass)
Notes & Reviews:
Siegfried Wagners eighth opera, Sonnenflammen, was completed in the spring of 1912 but not premiered until October 30th 1918. The doomsday atmosphere of the work corresponds to the symptoms in evidence during the time of the operas composition. In May 1910 the Halley Comet had caused unrest in Europe, and a clairvoyant in Vienna had predicted the end of the world. This live recording was captured over a series of live performances in January 2003.
Siegfried Wagner's operas have fared well at the hands of CPO and now comes Sonnenflammen, eighth of the 18 he wrote. The music settles a few obvious debts to his father but has its own energy and lyricism, and a good ear for orchestral colour. Roger Epple gives an enthusiastic lead to his Halle forces and to his cast, including vigorous portrayals of Iris by Eva Bátori and of the tormented Fridolin by Richard Brunner.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Pfitzner: Das Christelflein / Flor, Munich Radio SO, et al
Quincy Porter: String Quartets no 1-4 / Ives Quartet
Weingartner: Sextet & Octet / Oliver Triendl, Ensemble Acht
Friedrich Ernst Fesca: Symphony no 1, etc / Beermann, et al
American Classics - Rorem: Piano Concerto no 2, etc
Penderecki: Symphony no 8 / Wit, et al
Charles-Auguste de Bériot: Violin Concertos / Quint, Trevor
American Classics - Nicolas Flagello, Arnold Rosner
Rontgen: Symphony no 3, Suite "Aus Jotunheim"
Works DetailsWagner, Siegfried : Sonnenflammen, Op. 8
- Performers: Ulrich Studer (Baritone); Olaf Schroder (Voice); Jordi Molina (Tenor); Anke Berndt (Soprano); Jürgen Trakel; Eva Bátori (Soprano); Michaela Schuster (Mezzo-Soprano); Ki-Hyun Park (Bass); Nils Giesecke (Baritone); Roman Trekel (Baritone); Richard Brünner; Gerd Vogel (Bass)
- Conductor: Roger Epple
- Ensemble: Halle Opera House Chorus
- Notes: Georg-Friedrich-Händel-Halle (01/27/2003-01/31/2003)
- Running Time: 10 min. 7 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1914
- Studio/Live: Live