1 800 222 6872

Saarella Palaa, Fire on the Island - Choral music by Jean Sibelius / Monica Groop, mezzo-soprano; Jorma Hynninen, baritone; Folke Gräsbeck, piano; Harri Viitanen, organ

Audio Samples

  1. Sibelius — Rakastava (The Lover), Op. 14, JS 160c [Version for Choir] $0.99 on iTunes
  2. Sibelius — 6 Partsongs, Op. 18: I. Sortunut aani (The Broken Voice) [Text of Kanteletar, Kalevala and Aleksis] $0.99 on iTunes
  3. Sibelius — 6 Partsongs, Op. 18: III. Venematka (The Boat Journey) [Text of Kanteletar, Kalevala and Aleksis] $0.99 on iTunes
  4. Sibelius — 6 Partsongs, Op. 18: IV. Saarella palaa (Fire On the Island) [Text of Kanteletar, Kalevala and Aleksis] $0.99 on iTunes
  5. Sibelius — 6 Partsongs, Op. 18: VI. Sydameni laulu (Song of My Heart) [Text of Kanteletar, Kalevala and Aleksis] $0.99 on iTunes
  6. Sibelius — Isanmaalle (To the Fatherland), JS 98a $0.99 on iTunes
  7. Sibelius — Costa, Oje Caruli (Oh Caroline), JS 99 $0.99 on iTunes
  8. Sibelius — Cottrau, Trippole trappole, JS 99 $0.99 on iTunes
  9. Sibelius — Listen to the Water Mill, JS 122 $0.99 on iTunes
  10. Sibelius — Ej med klagan (Not With Lamentation), JS 69 $0.99 on iTunes
  11. Sibelius — Man fran slatten och havet (People of Land and Sea), Op. 65a $0.99 on iTunes
  12. Sibelius — On lapsonen syntynyt meille (A Child Is Born Unto Us), JS 142 $0.99 on iTunes
  13. Sibelius — Cantata for the Coronation of Nicholas II, JS 104: Terve ruhtinatar (Hail, O Princess) $0.99 on iTunes
  14. Sibelius — Islossningen i Ulea alv (The Breaking of the Ice On the Oulu River), Op. 30: Nejden and as [The Landscape Breathes] $0.99 on iTunes
  15. Sibelius — Cantata for the Helsinki University Ceremonies of 1897, JS 106: Soi kunniaksi Luojan (Hymn in Praise of the Lord) [Version for Choir] $0.99 on iTunes
  16. Sibelius — Morgonens och aftonens portar (Thou Makest the Outgoings of the Morning and Evening to Rejoice) $0.99 on iTunes
  17. Sibelius — Der Konig traumata (The King Saw a Dream) $0.99 on iTunes
  18. Sibelius — Dies ist der Tag des Herren (This Is the Day Which the Lord Hath Made) $0.99 on iTunes
  19. Sibelius — Die Wasser sahen dich (The Waters Saw Thee) $0.99 on iTunes
  20. Sibelius — Herr, du bist ein Fels (Lord, You are a Rock) [Version for Choir and Piano] $0.99 on iTunes
  21. Sibelius — Kolme johdantovuorolaulua (3 Introductory Antiphons), JS 110: I. Palmusunnuntaina [On Palm Sunday] $0.99 on iTunes
  22. Sibelius — Kolme johdantovuorolaulua (3 Introductory Antiphons), JS 110: No. 3. Kristillisissa nuorisojuhlissa [For Christian Youth Ceremonies] $0.99 on iTunes
  23. Sibelius — Finlandia-hymni (Finlandia Hymn) $0.99 on iTunes

Album Summary

>Sibelius, Jean : Rakastava (The Lover), for male chorus (with or without string orchestra), JS 160
>Sibelius, Jean : The Broken Voice (Sortunut ääni), partsong for (or mixed) male chorus, Op. 18/7
>Sibelius, Jean : The Boat Journey (Venematka), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/9
>Sibelius, Jean : Fire on the Island (Saarella palaa), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/3
>Sibelius, Jean : The Song of my Heart (Sydämeni laulu), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/6
>Sibelius, Jean : The Thrush's Toiling (Min rastas raataa), partsong for male chorus, JS 129
>Sibelius, Jean : To the Fatherland (Isänmaalle), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/1
>Sibelius, Jean : Ohi "Caroli", Italian song for chorus & instruments (fragments), JS 99/1
>Sibelius, Jean : Trippole trappole, folk song arrangement for chorus & instruments (fragments), JS 99/2
>Sibelius, Jean : Listen to the Water Mill, for unison chorus, JS 122
>Sibelius, Jean : Not with Lamentations (Ej med klagan), for chorus, JS 69
>Sibelius, Jean : People of Land & Sea (Män från slätten och havet), partsong for chorus, Op. 65/1
>Sibelius, Jean : A Child Is Born Unto Us (On lapsonen syntynyt meille), for chorus, JS 142
>Sibelius, Jean : Terve ruhtinatar, for children's chorus, JS 104
>Sibelius, Jean : Nejden andas, for children's chorus (arranged from The Breaking of the Ice on the River Oulu)
>Sibelius, Jean : We praise Thee, Our Creator (Soi kunniaksi Luojan), for chorus, Op. 23/6a
>Sibelius, Jean : Work(s)
>Sibelius, Jean : Introductory Antiphons (3), for chorus and organ, Op. 107
>Sibelius, Jean : Finlandia Hymn (Finlandia Hymni), for chorus & organ (or harmonium), Op. 113/12
Performers Conductor Ensembles Composer

Notes & Reviews:

BBC Music Magazine, December 2012
Fascinating manuscript fragments and student exercises appear alongside Finnish and Swedish-language choral classics...Supple, springy choral singing.

Gramophone Magazine, February 2013
Where the newcomer scores is in a clutch of real rarities, the least of which - the five student Contrapuntal Exercises written in 1887-90 - are fascinating (and also very taxing to sing)...Dominante's 40 [singers] do it [Man fran slatten och havet] proud, Christian Starke's sound superbly capturing throughout their finely nuanced interpretations.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Sibelius, Jean : Rakastava (The Lover), for male chorus (with or without string orchestra), JS 160
  • Performers: Monica Groop; Jorma Hynninen (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Ensemble: Dominante Choir
  • Running Time: 7 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1894

>Sibelius, Jean : The Broken Voice (Sortunut ääni), partsong for (or mixed) male chorus, Op. 18/7
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Sibelius, Jean : The Boat Journey (Venematka), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/9
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1893

>Sibelius, Jean : Fire on the Island (Saarella palaa), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/3
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1895

>Sibelius, Jean : The Song of my Heart (Sydämeni laulu), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/6
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 3 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Sibelius, Jean : The Thrush's Toiling (Min rastas raataa), partsong for male chorus, JS 129
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Sibelius, Jean : To the Fatherland (Isänmaalle), partsong for male chorus, Op. 18/1
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 2 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1900

>Sibelius, Jean : Ohi "Caroli", Italian song for chorus & instruments (fragments), JS 99/1
  • Performers: Folke Grasbeck (Piano); Jorma Hynninen (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1898

>Sibelius, Jean : Trippole trappole, folk song arrangement for chorus & instruments (fragments), JS 99/2
  • Performer: Folke Grasbeck (Piano)
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 2 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1897-1898

>Sibelius, Jean : Listen to the Water Mill, for unison chorus, JS 122
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 3 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1907

>Sibelius, Jean : Not with Lamentations (Ej med klagan), for chorus, JS 69
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1905

>Sibelius, Jean : People of Land & Sea (Män från slätten och havet), partsong for chorus, Op. 65/1
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 5 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1911

>Sibelius, Jean : A Child Is Born Unto Us (On lapsonen syntynyt meille), for chorus, JS 142
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 2 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1929

>Sibelius, Jean : Terve ruhtinatar, for children's chorus, JS 104
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1913

>Sibelius, Jean : Nejden andas, for children's chorus (arranged from The Breaking of the Ice on the River Oulu)
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1913

>Sibelius, Jean : We praise Thee, Our Creator (Soi kunniaksi Luojan), for chorus, Op. 23/6a
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1913-1914

>Sibelius, Jean : Work(s) :: Contrapuntal Exercises
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 5 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1875-1957

>Sibelius, Jean : Work(s) :: Contrapuntal Exercises
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 3 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1875-1957

>Sibelius, Jean : Work(s) :: Contrapuntal Exercises
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1875-1957

>Sibelius, Jean : Work(s) :: Contrapuntal Exercises
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1875-1957

>Sibelius, Jean : Work(s) :: Contrapuntal Exercises
  • Performer: Folke Grasbeck (Piano)
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 2 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1875-1957

>Sibelius, Jean : Introductory Antiphons (3), for chorus and organ, Op. 107
  • Performers: Jorma Hynninen (Baritone); Harri Viitanen (Organ)
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 1 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1925

>Sibelius, Jean : Finlandia Hymn (Finlandia Hymni), for chorus & organ (or harmonium), Op. 113/12
  • Conductor: Seppo Murto
  • Running Time: 2 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1938