Album Remarks & Appraisals:
Import only boxset containing 15 CD replicas of The Beatles' original EPs released in Europe from 1962 to 1967. Each disc in this EP collection is packaged in a cardboard mini sleeve, all of which are housed in a deluxe woven box. During the first half of The Beatles' career, EPs were a popular item for record buyers. Apart from the regular seven inch singles, the Extended Play releases provided a more comprehensive look at the band, featuring album tracks that were not always singles, but were most certainly fan favorites and key tracks. The Beatles' final EP release was actually a double seven inch set containing all six tracks from their ill-fated (and ill-conceived) movie Magical Mystery Tour. 58 tracks total. Parlophone. 2003.
THE EP BOX SET contains fifteen discs of original UK EP-length reissues by the Beatles.
A companion to the CD Singles Collection, EMI/Parlophone's The EP Boxset -- released on Toshiba EMI in 1992 and in other territories in 1992 -- is a set targeted at collectors who are are looking for CD replicas of the Beatles 14 British EPs (Magical Mystery Tour was a double-EP bringing the total number of CDs in this set to 15). Each of the CDs in this set is housed in a replica EP containing the original artwork and contains no more than the original A-sides and the original B-sides for a total of no more than four songs per disc (with the exception of Magical Mystery Tour which is once again the outlier with a whopping six songs on each of its two EPs). The short length of each CD doesn't make for practical listening, but practicality isn't the point of the set, collectability is. On that level this is a pretty nice package, as it offers attractive picture sleeves and gives an idea what it was like to hear these EPs come out one after another. Of the two collector-oriented packages, this is the preferable set in terms of packaging (again, the MMT replica is the highlight) and the EPs are, in a way, more of a nostalgia trip than the singles as they feel more like a relic from a bygone era than the individual singles. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Fried Glass Onions: Memphis Meets the Beatles, Vol (Various Artists)
- Tropical Tribute to the Beatles (Various Artists)
- LOVE (Cirque Du Soleil)
- LOVE [Bonus DVD] (Cirque Du Soleil)
- LOVE (Cirque Du Soleil)
- Hello, Goodbye: Songs the Beatles Gave Away (Various Artists)
- Tribute to the Beatles [ZYX] (Various Artists)
- Stax Does the Beatles (Various Artists)
- Beatles Beginnings, Vol. 1: Quarrymen - Skiffle - (Various Artists)
- Plays Sgt. Pepper [Digipak] (Timmons, Andy)
- Liddypool: Who Put the Beat in the Beatles? (Various Artists)
- Try to Remember/The Brothers Four Sing Lennon-McCa (Brothers Four (The))
- Lieb Plays the Beatles (Liebman, David)
- Glee: Sings the Beatles (Glee)
- Let It Be (Laibach)
- Guitar Tribute to the Beatles: Come Together (Various Artists)
- Pickin' on the Beatles (On, Pickin')
- Motown Milestones: Motown Meets the Beatles (Various Artists)