- Elisabeth Jansson (Mezzo Soprano)
- Lars Waage (Bass)
- Johan Reuter (Baritone)
- Peter Oskarson (Voice)
- Bengt-Ola Morgny (Tenor)
- Hans Lawaetz (Bass)
- Gert Henning-Jensen (Tenor)
- Mogens Hansen (Tenor)
- Sten Byriel (Baritone)
- Djina Mai-Mai (Soprano)
- Gitta-Maria Sj÷berg (Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
Bo Holten's (b. 1948) new opera 'The Visit of the Royal Physician' was a great success with both audience and reviewers at the premiere in 2009. It is a tragic love story from one of the most dramatic periods in the history of Denmark, when new ideas almost overturned the social order. It is the 1770s, and the young, idealistic doctor Struensee dreams of creating a new and better world. He is given the chance to put his ideas into practice when, almost by coincidence, he becomes royal physician to the insane King Christian VII. Soon he is also the lover of the young Queen Caroline Mathilde. The result is a disaster for all those involved – while the old order is allowed to endure. 'The Visit of the Royal Physician' is based on the best-selling novel by Per Olov Enquist. The performance was recorded at the Opera in Copenhagen and is conducted by the composer.
the music superbly articulates the mixture of noble intent and unease.
Run Time: 191 min.
Picture Format: NTSC, Color
Sound Format(s): LPCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English, Germann, Danish
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsHolten, Bo : The Visit of the Royal Physician
- Performers: Elisabeth Jansson (Mezzo Soprano); Lars Waage (Bass); Gitta-Maria Sjöberg (Soprano); Johan Reuter (Baritone); Peter Oskarson (Voice); Bengt-Ola Morgny (Tenor); Hans Lawaetz (Bass); Gert Henning-Jensen (Tenor); Mogens Hansen (Tenor); Sten Byriel (Baritone); Djina Mai-Mai (Soprano)
- Conductor: Bo Holten
- Ensemble: Royal Danish Opera Orchestra
- Period Time: Contemporary
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 2008