- Markus Brück (Bass)
- Andreas Conrad (Tenor)
- Stephen Gould (Tenor)
- Evelyn Herlitzius (Soprano)
- Steven Humes (Bass)
- Wolfgang Koch (Bass-Baritone)
- Michaela Schuster (Mezzo Soprano)
- Anne Schwanewilms (Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
Already brimming with symbols and transformations, the epic fairytale recounted by Strauss and his librettist Hofmannsthal in Die Frau ohne Schatten acquires a further allegorical dimension in Christoph Loy's inventive production for the Salzburg Festival. The central character, the Empress - half-spirit, half-human, and unable to bear children until she finds a shadow - here becomes a young soprano who makes a voyage of personal and professional discovery as she records the opera. A superb cast fulfils the complex vocal and dramatic demands of the piece while Christian Thielemann and the Vienna Philharmonic rise gloriously to the challenges of Strauss's most ambitious and splendid operatic score.Notes & Reviews:
Run Time: 246 min.
Picture Format: Blu-Ray, 16:9, Color
Sound Format(s): LPCM Stereo, DTS HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, German, Spanish
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Chamber Music - Rawsthorne, Berkeley, Bush / Brymer, The Music Group of London, et al
Levante: Abbi Cura di Te
Albert Roussel: The Spider's Banquet; Padmavati, suite / Royal Scottish Nat'l Orch.
Bestiario: Music of Hebert Vazquez / Nomad Ensemble
Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherezade; Stravinsky: Firebird / Myung-Whun Chung - Bastille Opera Orch.
Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 (four movement version) / Simon Rattle, Berlin PO
Constant Lambert: Piano Concerto; Piano Sonata; Eight Poems of Li-Po; Mr. Bear Squash-you-all-flat / Hawthorne, Brown, Langridge
Peter Eotvos: Three Sisters, opera / Alain Aubin, Vyatcheslav Kagan-Paley, Oleg Riabets, Albert Schagidullin
Works DetailsStrauss, Richard : Die Frau ohne Schatten, Op. 65
- Performers: Markus Brück (Bass); Andreas Conrad (Tenor); Stephen Gould (Tenor); Evelyn Herlitzius (Soprano); Steven Humes (Bass); Wolfgang Koch (Bass-Baritone); Michaela Schuster (Mezzo Soprano); Anne Schwanewilms (Soprano)
- Conductor: Christian Thielemann
- Ensemble: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Written: 1946