- Shostakovich — Symphony No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 65: I. Adagio
- Shostakovich — Symphony No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 65: II. Allegretto $0.99 on iTunes
- Shostakovich — Symphony No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 65: III. Allegro Non Troppo $0.99 on iTunes
- Shostakovich — Symphony No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 65: IV. Largo $0.99 on iTunes
- Shostakovich — Symphony No. 8 In C Minor, Op. 65: V. Allegretto
Notes & Reviews:
Not until later on, in his posthumously published memoirs, did Shostakovich provide a personal insight into his Symphony No. 8 in C minor, Op. 65, which he completed on September 9, 1943 in only two months' time, following a short, yet agonizingly dry creative period: "The Seventh and the Eighth are my 'Requiem'." At the time, his first comments on the new work were very different, and (as was usual during Stalin's regime, one should add) meaningless: "This work mirrors my thoughts and feelings following the joyous reports on the first victories of the Red Army." For sure...After all, it would be hard to come up with another 20th-century symphony that sounds as inscrutable and sadly fateful as Shostakovich's Eighth. "An Eighth that ranks with the interpretations of Mravinsky, Haitink or Sanderling. I've never heard such musical sense made of the final flickering embers of this, Shostakovich's greatest symphony. Even the recording seems a notch above other recent RNO productions on Pentatone." - Hi-Fi News
David Hurwitz, classicstoday.com
There's no question that Berglund delivers an intelligent, moving and fully formed conception of this powerful and emotionally draining symphony.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Shostakovich: Symphony no 11 / Pletnev, et al
Bruckner: Symphony no 7 / Kreizberg, Vienna PO
Mahler: Symphony no 5 / Bernard Haitink, et al
Shostakovich: Symphonies no 5 & 9 / Yakov Kreizberg, et al
Mahler: Symphony no 8 / Haitink, Royal Concertgebouw, et al
Paganini, Spohr: Violin Concertos / Hilary Hahn, Eiji Oue
Stravinsky: Le sacre du printemps; Bartok, etc / Salonen
Mahler: Symphony no 6, Piano Quartet / Eschenbach
Janacek: The Operas / Mackerras, Vienna Philharmonic
Works DetailsShostakovich, Dmitri : Symphony no 8 in C minor, Op. 65
- Conductor: Paavo Berglund
- Ensemble: Russian National Orchestra
- Notes: Composition written: 1943.
- Running Time: 65 min. 6 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1943