1 800 222 6872

Abide With Me - 50 Favourtie Hymns

Audio Samples

>Goss, John : Hymn
>Purcell, Henry : Christ is made the sure foundation
>Teschner, Melchior : All glory, laud and honor
>Miller, Edward : Hymn
>Hymnal, New English : The Day of Resurrection! (tune Ellacombe), no 117
>Croft, William : O God Our Help in Ages Past (Tune
>     St. Anne)
>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune
>     Repton), anthem
>Haweis, Thomas : Praise to the Holiest in the height (Tune
>     Richmond)
>Hymnal, New English : Praise to the Lord (Hast du denn, Jesu) (Tune
>     Lobe den Herren (also known as Praxis pietatis)), no
>Wesley, Samuel Sebastian : The Church's One Foundation
>     Aurelia)
>Elvey, George : Crown Him with Many Crowns, song (Tune
>     Diademata)
>Stainer, John : Love Divine, all loves excelling
>Dykes, John Bacchus : Holy, holy, holy "Nicaea"
>     Nicaea), for chorus & organ
>Crüger, Johannes : Now thank we all our God (Nun danket alle Gott)
>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me
>     Eventide)
>Parry, Charles H. : O Praise Ye the Lord (Laudate Dominum)
>Gibbons, Orlando : Hymn
>Filitz : Glory be to Jesus (Tune
>     Caswall)
>Horsley, William : There is a green hill far away
>     Horsley)
>Tans'ur, William : According to Thy gracious word (Tune
>     Bangor)
>Filitz, Friedrich : Holy Father, cheer our way (Tune
>     Cape Town)
>Tallis, Thomas : Psalm Tunes (9) for Mister Parker
>     Glory to Thee, my God, this night (Ta
>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn
>     St. Clement)
>Monk, William Henry : Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (on the tune "Merton")
>Hymnal, New English : On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry (Tune
>     Winchester New)
>Sullivan, Arthur : Onward! Christian Soldiers
>Traditional, Scottish : The Lord's my shepherd (Psalm 23 "Crimond", attributed to David Grant)
>Hughes, John (II) : Guide me, O thou great Jehovah (Tune
>     Cwm Rhonda)
>Hymnal, New English : All People That on Earth Do Dwell (Old Hundredth)
>Traditional, Christmas : O come, o come, Emmanuel (Veni, veni, Emmanuel), carol
>Hymnal, New English : Forty days and forty nights (tune Aus der Tiefe or Heinlein after Herbst), no 67
>Hassler, Hans Leo : Passion Chorale, Moravian funeral chorale
>     O sacred head, now wounded
>Anonymous, English : Christ the Lord Is Risen Today, hymn (melody from Lyra Davidica)
>Hullah, John Pyke : The Head that Once Was Crowned with Thorns (St. Magnus, melody from Divine Companion, 1707)
>Redhead, Richard : Rock of ages (Tune
>     Redhead no 76)
>Dykes, John Bacchus : Eternal father, strong to save "Melita"
>Monk, William Henry : All things bright and beautiful
>Traditional, Irish : Be Thou My Vision
>Sibelius, Jean : Be Still, My Soul, hymn (based on Finlandia)
>Dykes, John Bacchus : The King of love my Shepherd is (Dominus regit me)
>Antes, John : Let Us With A Gladsome Mind (Tune
>     Monkland)
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : For All the Saints Who from Their Labours Rest, hymn ("Sine nomine")
>Croft, William : O worship the King (Tune
>     Hanover, or Tally's)
>Stainer, John : Come, thou long-expected Jesus (Tune
>     Cross of Jesus) (New English Hymnal 3)
>Traditional, Christmas : Let all mortal flesh keep silence (French)
>Webbe, Samuel : Spirit of mercy, truth and love (Tune
>     Melcombe)
>Filitz, Friedrich : Lead us, Heavenly Father, lead us (Tune
>     Mannheim)
>Welsh Traditional : Immortal, invisible, God only wise (Tune
>     St. Denio)
>Parry, John : Jesu, Lover of my soul (Tune
>     Aberystwyth)
>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)

Album Summary

>Goss, John : Hymn
>Purcell, Henry : Christ is made the sure foundation
>Teschner, Melchior : All glory, laud and honor
>Miller, Edward : Hymn
>Hymnal, New English : The Day of Resurrection! (tune Ellacombe), no 117
>Croft, William : O God Our Help in Ages Past (Tune
>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune
>Haweis, Thomas : Praise to the Holiest in the height (Tune
>Hymnal, New English : Praise to the Lord (Hast du denn, Jesu) (Tune
>Wesley, Samuel Sebastian : The Church's One Foundation
>Elvey, George : Crown Him with Many Crowns, song (Tune
>Stainer, John : Love Divine, all loves excelling
>Dykes, John Bacchus : Holy, holy, holy "Nicaea"
>Crüger, Johannes : Now thank we all our God (Nun danket alle Gott)
>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me
>Parry, Charles H. : O Praise Ye the Lord (Laudate Dominum)
>Gibbons, Orlando : Hymn
>Filitz : Glory be to Jesus (Tune
>Horsley, William : There is a green hill far away
>Tans'ur, William : According to Thy gracious word (Tune
>Filitz, Friedrich : Holy Father, cheer our way (Tune
>Tallis, Thomas : Psalm Tunes (9) for Mister Parker
>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn
>Monk, William Henry : Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (on the tune "Merton")
>Hymnal, New English : On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry (Tune
>Sullivan, Arthur : Onward! Christian Soldiers
>Traditional, Scottish : The Lord's my shepherd (Psalm 23 "Crimond", attributed to David Grant)
>Hughes, John (II) : Guide me, O thou great Jehovah (Tune
>Hymnal, New English : All People That on Earth Do Dwell (Old Hundredth)
>Traditional, Christmas : O come, o come, Emmanuel (Veni, veni, Emmanuel), carol
>Hymnal, New English : Forty days and forty nights (tune Aus der Tiefe or Heinlein after Herbst), no 67
>Hassler, Hans Leo : Passion Chorale, Moravian funeral chorale
>Anonymous, English : Christ the Lord Is Risen Today, hymn (melody from Lyra Davidica)
>Hullah, John Pyke : The Head that Once Was Crowned with Thorns (St. Magnus, melody from Divine Companion, 1707)
>Redhead, Richard : Rock of ages (Tune
>Dykes, John Bacchus : Eternal father, strong to save "Melita"
>Monk, William Henry : All things bright and beautiful
>Traditional, Irish : Be Thou My Vision
>Sibelius, Jean : Be Still, My Soul, hymn (based on Finlandia)
>Dykes, John Bacchus : The King of love my Shepherd is (Dominus regit me)
>Antes, John : Let Us With A Gladsome Mind (Tune
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : For All the Saints Who from Their Labours Rest, hymn ("Sine nomine")
>Croft, William : O worship the King (Tune
>Stainer, John : Come, thou long-expected Jesus (Tune
>Traditional, Christmas : Let all mortal flesh keep silence (French)
>Webbe, Samuel : Spirit of mercy, truth and love (Tune
>Filitz, Friedrich : Lead us, Heavenly Father, lead us (Tune
>Welsh Traditional : Immortal, invisible, God only wise (Tune
>Parry, John : Jesu, Lover of my soul (Tune
>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
Performers Conductors Ensemble
  • >
Composers
Notes & Reviews:

Personnel: Heather Harper (soprano); Neil Mackie , Wilfred Brown, John Bowen (tenor); Roland Roberts (baritone); Hervey Alan (bass voice); Bruce Blyth (treble); Stephen Cleobury (descant); Timothy Byram-Wigfield , Brian Runnett, Alexander Anderson, Richard Farnes , Simon Preston (organ); James Blades (percussion).

Recording information: 1960-1990.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Goss, John : Hymn
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Purcell, Henry : Christ is made the sure foundation
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral

>Teschner, Melchior : All glory, laud and honor
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Miller, Edward : Hymn
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); John Bowen (Tenor); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Choral

>Hymnal, New English : The Day of Resurrection! (tune Ellacombe), no 117
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Croft, William : O God Our Help in Ages Past (Tune :: St. Anne)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune :: Repton), anthem
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1888

>Haweis, Thomas : Praise to the Holiest in the height (Tune :: Richmond)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Hymnal, New English : Praise to the Lord (Hast du denn, Jesu) (Tune :: Lobe den Herren (also known as Praxis pietatis)), no
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Wesley, Samuel Sebastian : The Church's One Foundation :: Aurelia)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral

>Elvey, George : Crown Him with Many Crowns, song (Tune :: Diademata)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1868

>Stainer, John : Love Divine, all loves excelling
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Dykes, John Bacchus : Holy, holy, holy "Nicaea" :: Nicaea), for chorus & organ
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral

>Johannes Crüger (1598 - 1662) : Now thank we all our God (Nun danket alle Gott)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral

>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me :: Eventide)
  • Performers: Bruce Blyth (Treble); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1861

>Parry, Charles H. : O Praise Ye the Lord (Laudate Dominum)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant); Richard Farnes (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Gibbons, Orlando : Hymn
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Filitz : Glory be to Jesus (Tune :: Caswall)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. sec.

>Horsley, William : There is a green hill far away :: Horsley)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Tans'ur, William : According to Thy gracious word (Tune :: Bangor)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Filitz, Friedrich : Holy Father, cheer our way (Tune :: Cape Town)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Tallis, Thomas : Psalm Tunes (9) for Mister Parker :: Glory to Thee, my God, this night (Ta
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: circa 1567

>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn :: St. Clement)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1874

>Monk, William Henry : Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (on the tune "Merton")
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Hymnal, New English : On Jordan's bank the Baptist's cry (Tune :: Winchester New)
  • Performers: Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); Simon Preston (Organ); David Willcocks (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Sullivan, Arthur : Onward! Christian Soldiers
  • Performers: Huddersfield Society; Wyn Morris
  • Running Time: 3 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral

>Traditional, Scottish : The Lord's my shepherd (Psalm 23 "Crimond", attributed to David Grant)
  • Performers: Huddersfield Society; Wyn Morris
  • Running Time: 3 min. 33 sec.

>Hughes, John (II) : Guide me, O thou great Jehovah (Tune :: Cwm Rhonda)
  • Performers: Huddersfield Society; Wyn Morris
  • Running Time: 2 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Hymnal, New English : All People That on Earth Do Dwell (Old Hundredth)
  • Performers: West U.S.A.F. Protestant Chapel Choir (Percussion); Wilfred Brown (Tenor); Geoffrey Morgan (Organ); McCarthy Singers (Percussion); Heather Harper (Soprano); Hervey Alan (Bass); James Blades (Percussion)
  • Conductor: Charles Smart
  • Running Time: 1 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Traditional, Christmas : O come, o come, Emmanuel (Veni, veni, Emmanuel), carol
  • Performers: West U.S.A.F. Protestant Chapel Choir (Percussion); Wilfred Brown (Tenor); Geoffrey Morgan (Organ); McCarthy Singers (Percussion); Heather Harper (Soprano); Hervey Alan (Bass); James Blades (Percussion)
  • Conductor: Charles Smart
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 12th Century

>Hymnal, New English : Forty days and forty nights (tune Aus der Tiefe or Heinlein after Herbst), no 67
  • Performers: West U.S.A.F. Protestant Chapel Choir (Percussion); Wilfred Brown (Tenor); Geoffrey Morgan (Organ); McCarthy Singers (Percussion); Heather Harper (Soprano); Hervey Alan (Bass); James Blades (Percussion)
  • Conductor: Charles Smart
  • Running Time: 1 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Hassler, Hans Leo : Passion Chorale, Moravian funeral chorale :: O sacred head, now wounded
  • Performers: West U.S.A.F. Protestant Chapel Choir (Percussion); Wilfred Brown (Tenor); Geoffrey Morgan (Organ); McCarthy Singers (Percussion); Heather Harper (Soprano); Hervey Alan (Bass); James Blades (Percussion)
  • Conductor: Charles Smart
  • Running Time: 3 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous, English : Christ the Lord Is Risen Today, hymn (melody from Lyra Davidica)
  • Performers: West U.S.A.F. Protestant Chapel Choir (Percussion); Wilfred Brown (Tenor); Geoffrey Morgan (Organ); McCarthy Singers (Percussion); Heather Harper (Soprano); Hervey Alan (Bass); James Blades (Percussion)
  • Conductor: Charles Smart
  • Running Time: 3 min. 43 sec.
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1700s

>Hullah, John Pyke : The Head that Once Was Crowned with Thorns (St. Magnus, melody from Divine Companion, 1707)
  • Performers: West U.S.A.F. Protestant Chapel Choir (Percussion); Wilfred Brown (Tenor); Geoffrey Morgan (Organ); McCarthy Singers (Percussion); Heather Harper (Soprano); Hervey Alan (Bass); James Blades (Percussion)
  • Conductor: Charles Smart
  • Running Time: 1 min. 46 sec.

>Redhead, Richard : Rock of ages (Tune :: Redhead no 76)
  • Performers: Maurice Vinden (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Dykes, John Bacchus : Eternal father, strong to save "Melita"
  • Performers: Maurice Vinden (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral

>Monk, William Henry : All things bright and beautiful
  • Performers: Alexander Anderson (Organ); George McPhee (Organ); Paisley Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Traditional, Irish : Be Thou My Vision
  • Performers: Alexander Anderson (Organ); George McPhee (Organ); Paisley Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Sibelius, Jean : Be Still, My Soul, hymn (based on Finlandia)
  • Performers: Neil Mackie (Tenor); Alexander Anderson (Organ); George McPhee (Organ); Paisley Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Dykes, John Bacchus : The King of love my Shepherd is (Dominus regit me)
  • Performers: Neil Mackie (Tenor); Alexander Anderson (Organ); George McPhee (Organ); Paisley Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Antes, John : Let Us With A Gladsome Mind (Tune :: Monkland)
  • Performers: Alexander Anderson (Organ); George McPhee (Organ); Paisley Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: circa 1790

>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : For All the Saints Who from Their Labours Rest, hymn ("Sine nomine")
  • Performers: Alexander Anderson (Organ); George McPhee (Organ); Paisley Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: circa 1905

>Croft, William : O worship the King (Tune :: Hanover, or Tally's)
  • Performers: Alexander Anderson (Organ); George McPhee (Organ); Paisley Choir (Organ)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1708

>Stainer, John : Come, thou long-expected Jesus (Tune :: Cross of Jesus) (New English Hymnal 3)
  • Performers: Brian Runnett (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); George Guest (Descant)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Traditional, Christmas : Let all mortal flesh keep silence (French)
  • Performers: Brian Runnett (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); George Guest (Descant)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 26 sec.

>Webbe, Samuel : Spirit of mercy, truth and love (Tune :: Melcombe)
  • Performers: Brian Runnett (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); George Guest (Descant)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Filitz, Friedrich : Lead us, Heavenly Father, lead us (Tune :: Mannheim)
  • Performers: Brian Runnett (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); George Guest (Descant)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Welsh Traditional : Immortal, invisible, God only wise (Tune :: St. Denio)
  • Performers: Brian Runnett (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); George Guest (Descant)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Parry, John : Jesu, Lover of my soul (Tune :: Aberystwyth)
  • Performers: Brian Runnett (Organ); Cambridge King's College Choir (Organ); George Guest (Descant)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
  • Performers: Timothy Byram-Wigfield (Organ); Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra (Voice); Cambridge King's College Choir (Voice); Waynflete Singers (Voice)
  • Conductor: David Hill
  • Running Time: 2 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1916