1 800 222 6872

Works for Celo Ensemble

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Suite for solo cello no 1 in G major, BWV 1007
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations for cello & piano in F major on Mozart's "Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen," Op. 66
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Concerto for Cello no 1 in C major, H 7b no 1
>Dvorak, Antonin : Concerto for Cello in B minor, Op. 104/B 191
>Saint-Saëns, Camille : Concerto for Cello no 1 in A minor, Op. 33
>Schumann, Robert : Concerto for Cello in A minor, Op. 129
>Brahms, Johannes : Concerto for Violin and Cello in A minor, Op. 102 "Double"
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Variations for Cello and Orchestra on a Rococo theme, Op. 33
>Brahms, Johannes : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 2 in F major, Op. 99
>Prokofiev, Sergey : Sinfonia Concertante for cello & orchestra in E minor, Op. 125
>Britten, Benjamin : Suite for solo cello no 1, Op. 72
>Dutilleux, Henri : Tout un monde lointain. . ., concerto for cello & orchestra
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Concerto for Piano, Violin and Cello in C major, Op. 56 "Triple Concerto"
>Villa-Lobos, Heitor : Bachiana brasileira no 1 for 8 Cellos
>Stravinsky, Igor : Chanson russe, for cello & piano ("Parasha's Aria")
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Concerto for Cello no 1 in E flat major, Op. 107
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Suite of Romances (7) for soprano & piano trio, Op. 127
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composers

Notes & Reviews:

"as an overview of the greatest cellist of the second half of the 20th century's EMI recordings, this particular random collection can't bettered... includes Rostropovich's masterful performances of the finale of Brahms' Double Concerto with violinist David Oistrakh and of the finale of Beethoven's Triple Concerto with Oistrakh and pianist Sviatoslav Richter as well as his virtually definitive performances of the opening movement of Shostakovich's First Concerto, the closing movement of Prokofiev's Symphonie Concertante, the fourth movement of Britten First Suite and the fifth movement of Dutilleux's Concerto. Although the recordings range chronologically from 1957 through 1997 and geographically from Moscow to London, EMI's digital re-mastering does the best that can be done considering the multiplicity of sources." -All Music



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Suite for solo cello no 1 in G major, BWV 1007
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Running Time: 15 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1720

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Variations for cello & piano in F major on Mozart's "Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen," Op. 66
  • Performers: Vasso Devetzi (Piano); Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1796

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Concerto for Cello no 1 in C major, H 7b no 1 :: 3. Allegro molto
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Mstislav Rostropovich
  • Notes: Composition written: By 1765.
  • Running Time: 6 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: by 1765

>Dvorak, Antonin : Concerto for Cello in B minor, Op. 104/B 191 :: 2. Adagio ma non troppo
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Carlo Giulini
  • Running Time: 12 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto

>Saint-Saëns, Camille : Concerto for Cello no 1 in A minor, Op. 33 :: 1. Allegro non troppo
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Carlo Giulini
  • Running Time: 5 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1872

>Schumann, Robert : Concerto for Cello in A minor, Op. 129 :: 2. Langsam
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Leonard Bernstein
  • Notes: Composition written: 1850.
  • Running Time: 5 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1850

>Schumann, Robert : Concerto for Cello in A minor, Op. 129 :: 3. Sehr lebhaft
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Leonard Bernstein
  • Notes: Composition written: 1850.
  • Running Time: 8 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1850

>Brahms, Johannes : Concerto for Violin and Cello in A minor, Op. 102 "Double" :: 3. Finale
  • Performers: David Oistrakh (Violin); Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: George Szell
  • Running Time: 8 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1887

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Variations for Cello and Orchestra on a Rococo theme, Op. 33
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Gennady Rozhdestvensky
  • Running Time: 17 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1876

>Brahms, Johannes : Sonata for Cello and Piano no 2 in F major, Op. 99 :: 2. Adagio affetuoso
  • Performers: Alexander Dedyuhkin (Piano); Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1886

>Prokofiev, Sergey : Sinfonia Concertante for cello & orchestra in E minor, Op. 125 :: 3. Andante con moto - Allegro
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Malcolm Sargent
  • Running Time: 10 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 1952

>Britten, Benjamin : Suite for solo cello no 1, Op. 72 :: 6. Moto perpetuo e canto quatro
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1964

>Dutilleux, Henri : Tout un monde lointain. . ., concerto for cello & orchestra :: 5. Hymne
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Serge Baudo
  • Running Time: 5 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1967-1970

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Concerto for Piano, Violin and Cello in C major, Op. 56 "Triple Concerto" :: 3. Rondo alla
  • Performers: David Oistrakh (Violin); Sviatoslav Richter (Piano); Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Herbert Karajan
  • Running Time: 13 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1803-1804

>Villa-Lobos, Heitor : Bachiana brasileira no 1 for 8 Cellos :: 2. Preludio (modhina)
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Mstislav Rostropovich
  • Ensemble: Ensemble de violoncelles
  • Running Time: 8 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1930

>Stravinsky, Igor : Chanson russe, for cello & piano ("Parasha's Aria")
  • Performers: Alexander Dedyuhkin (Piano); Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1937

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Concerto for Cello no 1 in E flat major, Op. 107 :: 1. Allegretto
  • Performer: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
  • Conductor: Gennady Rozhdestvensky
  • Notes: Composition written: 1959.
  • Running Time: 6 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1959

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Suite of Romances (7) for soprano & piano trio, Op. 127 :: Nous étions ensemble
  • Performers: Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello); Galina Vishnevskaya (Soprano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1967