- Heather Harper (Soprano)
- John Wakefield (French Horn)
- William Lang (Trumpet)
- Leslie Pearson (Harpsichord)
- Ralph Downes (Organ)
- John Shirley-Quirk (Baritone)
Notes & Reviews:
Musically, the star of this show is soprano Heather Harper. She recorded this at age 33 with profound devotion to Handel, fine ornamentation, flawless technique and diction, and pure but solid light-middleweight lyric soprano sound. It's a pleasure to hear the subtle but artful way she darkens her enunciation on the high notes to counterbalance the inevitably lighter tone quality up there. It's fascinating to compare this with her also fine but very different (darker sound, no ornamentation) recording with Jackson two years earlier.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsHandel, George Frideric : Messiah, HWV 56, Oratorio
- Performers: Heather Harper (Soprano); John Wakefield (French Horn); William Lang (Trumpet); Leslie Pearson (Harpsichord); Ralph Downes (Organ); John Shirley-Quirk (Baritone)
- Conductor: Colin Davis
- Running Time: 136 min. 20 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Form: Cantata/Oratorio
- Written: 1741