- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral": I. Allegro Ma Non Troppo, un Poco Maestoso
- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral": II. Molto Vivace
- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral": III. Adagio Molto e Cantabile - Andante Moderato
- Beethoven — Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 125, "Choral": IV. Finale. Presto - Allegro Assai
- Neal Davies (Bass)
- Helena Juntunen (Soprano)
- Katarina Karnéus (Mezzo Soprano)
- Daniel Norman (Treble)
Notes & Reviews:
Import Hybrid-SACD pressing.
Gramophone Classical Music Guide, 2010
VSnskS offers a radical re-think of Beethoven's Choral Symphony, a youthful, brave statement, free of iconic influences. Considered in purely musical terms, his version would better fit the idea of revolution through renewal.
The opening of VSnskS's Choral, though deathly quiet, is chiselled and precise, the first tutti like a fireball from the heavens, much aided by a hugely dynamic recording. Within a mere minute or two, one quality has made its mark with maximum force, namely rhythm, tight as a drum... And when the chorus enters, well... In a word, VSnska's finale is full of zeal.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Beethoven: Symphonies no 3 & 8 / Vanska, Minnesota Orchestra
Beethoven: Symphonies no 4 & 5 / Vanska, Minnesota Orchestra
Schubert: Death and the maiden / Takács Quartet
Lilburn: A Song of Islands, etc / Judd, New Zealand SO
Mahler: Symphony no 5 / Tilson Thomas, San Francisco SO
Beethoven: The Piano Sonatas Vol 3 / András Schiff
Mahler: Symphony no 6, Piano Quartet / Eschenbach
Beethoven: Symphony no 7, etc / Haitink, London SO, et al
Mahler: Symphony no 7 / Tilson Thomas, San Francisco SO
Works DetailsBeethoven, Ludwig van : Symphony no 9 in D minor, Op. 125 "Choral"
- Performers: Neal Davies (Bass); Helena Juntunen (Soprano); Katarina Karnéus (Mezzo Soprano); Daniel Norman (Treble)
- Conductor: Osmo Vanska
- Ensemble: Minnesota Chorale
- Running Time: 65 min. 46 sec.
- Period Time: Classical
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1822-1824
- Language: German
- Studio/Live: Studio