- Neil Jenkins (Tenor)
- Alexa Turpin (Flute)
- Lorraine Wood (Oboe d'amore)
- Stephen Roberts (Horn)
- Michael Dobson (Oboe d'amore)
- Richard Dobson (Flute)
- Felicity Lott
- John Bacon (Violin)
- William Bennett (Flute)
- Richard Adeney (Flute)
- Adam Skeaping (Bass Rebec)
- Roger Garland (Violin)
- Charles Tunnell (Cello)
Notes & Reviews:
This much loved English language performance of Bach's great setting of the Passion of Christ makes a welcome return to the Decca catalog. Outstanding vocal soloists include Welsh tenor Robert Tear as the Evangelist, Felicity Lott as soprano soloist and the alto Alfreda Hodgson. Sir David Willcocks leads the forces of the world famous Bach choir. Booklet with libretto.
The most striking thing is its lightness of touch. Tempos are brisk and businesslike, the choral tone buoyant and the orchestral playing nimble and discreet...English language recitatives can sound embarrassingly banal, but Robert Tear, all in all an excellent Evangelist, overcomes any potential pitfalls by the fluency of his delivery - clarity of diction is immaculate and the recitatives surge along with an overriding sense of purpose.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
The Essential Bach / Brandenburg Concertos; Mass in B minor; Well-Tempered Clavier; etc. [5 DVD]
Reinecke: Symphony no 1, Violin Concerto, Romances
Vanhal: Flute Quartets / Uwe Grodd, Janaki Trio
Handel: Music for the Chapel Royal / Andrew Gant, et al
Cherubini: Symphony in D major, etc / Piero Bellugi, et al
Hummel: Sappho von Mitilene, etc / Shelley, et al
Taneyev: Symphonies no 1 & 3 / Polyansky, et al
Tchaikovsky, Medtner: First Piano Concertos / Sudbin, et al
Il Duello Amoroso - Handel / Dantone, Scholl, et al
Works DetailsBach, Johann Sebastian : Saint Matthew Passion, BWV 244
- Performers: Neil Jenkins (Tenor); Alexa Turpin (Flute); Lorraine Wood (Oboe d'amore); Stephen Roberts (Horn); Michael Dobson (Oboe d'amore); Richard Dobson (Flute); Felicity Lott; John Bacon (Violin); William Bennett (Flute); Richard Adeney (Flute); Adam Skeaping (Bass Rebec); Roger Garland (Violin); Charles Tunnell (Cello)
- Conductor: David Willcocks
- Running Time: 138 min. 20 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Written: 1736