Personnel: Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone); Sonny Clark (piano); Percy Heath, Paul Chambers (bass); Roy Haynes (drums).
Recorded at Reeves Sound Studios, New York, New York on June 11, 12 & 19, 1957. Originally released on Riverside (241). Includes liner notes by Orrin Keepnews.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1987, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone); Sonny Clark (piano); Roy Haynes (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Orrin Keepnews.
Recording information: Reeves Sound Studios, New York, NY (06/11/1957-06/19/1957).
THE SOUND OF SONNY shows everything that makes Sonny Rollins one of the titans of the tenor saxophone. He has a tone which can evoke heart-rending passions with a smoothness just this side of Ben Webster. Add to that the man's warm and playful sense of humor, and you've got a sax that's every bit a full and well-rounded emotional being. Without ever cheapening humor into novelty, it's a staple of his persona. This time out he finds the wacky joy in playing "Toot, Toot, Tootsie" as if it's some kind of after hours national anthem (this is, after all the same man who recorded "I'm An Old Cowhand" on his WAY OUT WEST album). The session boasts a superlative rhythm section of Sonny Clark on piano, Paul Chambers or Percy Heath on bass, and Roy Haynes on drums--all stellar players of the post-bop era.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Cedar Walton: Cedar!
Wynton Marsalis: Standard Time, Vol. 1
Keith Jarrett/Keith Jarrett Trio: Bye Bye Blackbird
Wynton Marsalis: Thick in the South: Soul Gestures in Southern Bles, Vol.1
Thelonious Monk: At the Five Spot
Carl: Roundabout / Hartt Contemporary Players
She Sings She Screams / Richard Dirlam
Tommy Flanagan/Tommy Flanagan Trio: Overseas
Brad Mehldau: The Art of the Trio, Vol. 2: Live at the Village Vanguard
- Play Ballads [Box] (Brown, Clifford (Jazz))
- Complete 1963 Copenhagen (Don Cherry Quartet)
- Complete 1963 Stuttgart Concert (Don Cherry Quartet)
- Three Giants! (Brown, Clifford (Jazz))
- The Ultimate Doubles (Tatum, Art)
- Legendary Sessions (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Three Giants!/At Basin Street (Brown, Clifford (Jazz))
- Together at Newport 1963 (Hawkins, Coleman)
- Complete Live at the Village Gate 1962 (Cherry, Don (Trumpet))
- Great Jazz Producers: Orrin Keepnews & Bill Grauer (Baker, Chet (Trumpet/Vocals/Com)
- Newk and Bags: Studio and Live, 1953-1965 (Jackson, Milt)