1 800 222 6872

A Candle to the Glorious Sun - Milton, Peerson / MacDonald, Selwyn College Choir

Album Summary

>Milton, John : O woe is me for thee, sacred song for 5 voices
>Milton, John : If ye love me, sacred song for 4 voices
>Milton, John : Psalm 27 (York Tune, first setting), sacred song for 4 voices
>Milton, John : I am the Resurrection and the life, sacred song for 5 voices
>Peerson, Martin : O God, that no time dost despise
>Peerson, Martin : Psalm 134 (Southwell Tune), sacred song for 4 voices
>Peerson, Martin : O let me at thy footstool fall
>Peerson, Martin : Lord, ever bridle my desires
>Milton, John : O had I wings like to a dove, sacred song for 5 voices
>Milton, John : If that a sinner's sighes, sacred song for 5 voices
>Milton, John : Thou God of might, sacred song for 4 voices
>Milton, John : O Lord behold my miseries, sacred song for 5 voices
>Milton, John : Psalm 138 (York Tune, second setting), sacred song for 4 voices
>Milton, John : How doth the holy City, sacred song for 6 voices
>Peerson, Martin : Who will rise up with me?...But when I said
>Milton, John : Psalm 102 (Norwich Tune), sacred song for 4 voices
>Milton, John : When David heard that Absolon was slaine, sacred song for 5 voices
Ensemble Composers

Notes & Reviews:

John Milton and Martin Peerson were contemporaries, born within 10 years of each other in the late 1500s. Much respected in their own day, but not well know in ours, this recording offers some of their sacred songs set to texts by Sir William Leighton.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Milton, John : O woe is me for thee, sacred song for 5 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : If ye love me, sacred song for 4 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : Psalm 27 (York Tune, first setting), sacred song for 4 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : I am the Resurrection and the life, sacred song for 5 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Peerson, Martin : O God, that no time dost despise
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Peerson, Martin : Psalm 134 (Southwell Tune), sacred song for 4 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Peerson, Martin : O let me at thy footstool fall
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Peerson, Martin : Lord, ever bridle my desires
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : O had I wings like to a dove, sacred song for 5 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : If that a sinner's sighes, sacred song for 5 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : Thou God of might, sacred song for 4 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : O Lord behold my miseries, sacred song for 5 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : Psalm 138 (York Tune, second setting), sacred song for 4 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : How doth the holy City, sacred song for 6 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Peerson, Martin : Who will rise up with me?...But when I said
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : Psalm 102 (Norwich Tune), sacred song for 4 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Milton, John : When David heard that Absolon was slaine, sacred song for 5 voices
  • Ensemble: Selwyn College Choir
  • Notes: St George's Church, Chesterton, Cambridge, England (06/24/2007-06/27/2007)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque