1 800 222 6872

Musical Banquet - Dowland, Caccini, Guédron, Holborne, etc / Monica Mauch, Nigel North

Album Summary

>Anonymous, Italian : Passava amor su arco desarmado
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lady if you so spite me, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musical Banquet)
>Caccini, Giulio : Dovro dunque morire, song for voice & continuo or lute
>Caccini, Giulio : Amarilli mia bella, for voice & continuo (from Le nuove musiche)
>Guédron, Pierre : Si le parler et le silence, chanson
>Melli, Domenico Maria : Se di farmi morire, voce e liuto
>Hales, Robert : O Eyes, leave off your weeping
>Anonymous, Spanish : Vuestros ojos tienen d'amor
>Tessier, Guillaume : In a grove most rich of shade, song (no 7 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable the Lady Rich, her Gaillard (Dowland's Bells), for lute, P 43
>Anonymous, English : Go, my flock, go get you hence, song (no 4 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
>Anonymous, Italian : O bella piu che le stelle
>Holborne, Anthony : My heavy sprite
>Bacheler, Daniel : A Galliard upon a Galliard by John Dowland, for lute (App. 2 from Selected Works for Lute)
>Bacheler, Daniel : To plead my faith
>Guédron, Pierre : Ce penser qui sans fin tirannise ma vie, chanson
>Anonymous, English : O dear life, when shall it be?, song (no 5 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Lisle (Sir Robert Sidney, his galliard), for lute, P 38 (A Musica
>Martin, Richard : Change thy mind since she doth change, song (no 2 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
>Dowland, Robert : Work(s)
>Guédron, Pierre : Vous que le Bonheur rappelle, chanson
>Dowland, John [Composer] : In darkness let me dwell, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
>Anonymous, Italian : Sta notte mi sognava
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Far from the triumphing court, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
Performers Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Published in London in 1610, Robert Dowland's 'A Musicall Banquet' is an unusal and innovative cross-section of Renaissance European lute songs. It was the first book of its kind in England to includes songs in Italian, French and Spanish. Performances both lively and subtle by two outstanding soloists in the early music scene: Monika Mauch was last heard on ECM alongside Christoph Poppen and the Hilliard ensemble on the Bach record 'Morimur'.

German soprano Monika Mauch and English luntenist Nigel North tackle songs from A Musical Banquet - Robert Dowland's 17th Century anthology of unique lute songs from England, France, Italy, and Spain. Monika Mauch's and Nigel North's subtle recording of this important cross section of Renaissance European song offers a welcome addition to the ECM 17th century discography, which recently gave us the second volume of John Potter's Dowland project. The CD-package includes 24-page illustrated booklet with an essay by Nigel North who has was professor for lute and early music at Guildhall School in London, before accepting his current posts at the Early Music Institute at Bloomington/Indiana (USA) and at the Royal conservatory Den Haag.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Anonymous, Italian : Passava amor su arco desarmado
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lady if you so spite me, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musical Banquet)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1610

>Caccini, Giulio : Dovrò dunque morire, song for voice & continuo or lute
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1602

>Caccini, Giulio : Amarilli mia bella, for voice & continuo (from Le nuove musiche)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1601

>Pierre Guédron (circa 1570-1575 - circa 1619) : Si le parler et le silence, chanson
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Melli, Domenico Maria : Se di farmi morire, voce e liuto
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Hales, Robert : O Eyes, leave off your weeping
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous, Spanish : Vuestros ojos tienen d'amor
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Tessier, Guillaume : In a grove most rich of shade, song (no 7 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable the Lady Rich, her Gaillard (Dowland's Bells), for lute, P 43
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous, English : Go, my flock, go get you hence, song (no 4 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 49 sec.

>Anonymous, Italian : O bella piú che le stelle
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Holborne, Anthony : My heavy sprite
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Bacheler, Daniel : A Galliard upon a Galliard by John Dowland, for lute (App. 2 from Selected Works for Lute)
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Bacheler, Daniel : To plead my faith
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Pierre Guédron (circa 1570-1575 - circa 1619) : Ce penser qui sans fin tirannise ma vie, chanson
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Anonymous, English : O dear life, when shall it be?, song (no 5 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.

>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Lisle (Sir Robert Sidney, his galliard), for lute, P 38 (A Musica
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1610

>Martin, Richard : Change thy mind since she doth change, song (no 2 in the collection A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, Robert : Work(s) :: Sir Thomas Monson, his Pavin and Galliard
  • Performer: Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Pierre Guédron (circa 1570-1575 - circa 1619) : Vous que le Bonheur rappelle, chanson
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : In darkness let me dwell, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1610

>Anonymous, Italian : Sta notte mi sognava
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Far from the triumphing court, for voice, lute & bass viol (A Musicall Banquet)
  • Performers: Monika Mauch (Soprano); Nigel North (Lute)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1610