- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": I. Allegro maestoso
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": II. Andante moderato
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": III. In ruhig fliessender Bewegung
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": IV. Urlicht: Sehr feierlich, aber schlicht $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": V. Finale: Im Tempo des Scherzos
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": V. Im Tempo des Scherzo: Langsam - Misterioso $0.99 on iTunes
- Mahler — Symphony No. 2 in C minor, "Resurrection": V. Im Tempo des Scherzo: Etwas bewegter $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
Although serious illness had forced him to relinquish the Principal Conductorship of the London Philharmonic Orchestra in 1987, Klaus Tennstedt was able to return a number of times in the following years as Conductor Laureate. In February 1989 he conducted two performances of Mahler's mighty Resurrection Symphony at the Royal Festival Hall in London. The concerts quickly acquired legendary status; those present talked of an incredible interpretation shot through with emotion, conviction, musical depth and tangible atmosphere, captured here in this live recording.
"Tennstedt is well known for his Mahler interpretations...This new [1989 account] at London's Royal Festival Hall is warm and spacious, with a very clear and natural sound quality every bit the equal of the best engineered recordings today. The newer account is 5 minutes slower than his earlier  effort but has much more direction and excitement...The finale is epic...In the last five minutes of this recording, Tennstedt aims at transcendence and gets it. The chorus is at full tilt, the strings are sawing away, the organ presence is deeply felt, the winds and brass give their all, and the percussion is clanging on everything they can get their hands on - absolutely perfect. This must have been a truly remarkable concert." - American Record GuideNotes & Reviews:
Recording information: Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall, London.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Saint-Saens: Violin Concerto No.3, Grieg: Piano Concerto / Julia Fischer [DVD]
Huang Ruo: To The Four Corners / Min Xiao-Fen
Mahler: Symphony no 6 / Tennstedt, London PO
Beethoven: Symphony No 9 / Tennstedt, Popp, Murray, Johnson, Pape, et al
Johannes Brahms: Sonatas For Viola & Piano
Claude Debussy: Orchestral Works, Vol. 3
Joaquín Nin: Piano Music
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 3 in D major after the Violin Concerto
Joe Pass: Virtuoso [2010 Remaster]
Works DetailsMahler, Gustav : Symphony no 2 in C minor "Resurrection"
- Conductor: Klaus Tennstedt
- Ensemble: London Philharmonic Orchestra
- Running Time: 75 min. 23 sec.
- Period Time: Post Romantic
- Form: Orchestral
- Written: 1888-1894