1 800 222 6872

Passion: A Passion Music By Palestrina

Audio Samples

>Palestrina, Giovanni : Stabat Mater
>Allegri, Gregorio : Miserere
>Ramsey, Robert : How Are the Mighty Fallen
>Weelkes, Thomas : When David heard
>Tallis, Thomas : Lamentations (Set 1)
>Victoria, Tomas L. de : O vos omnes, responsory for 4 voices
>Desprez, Josquin : Nymphes des bois/Requiem aeternam/Deploration de la Mort de Jehan Ockeghem
>     Déploration sur la mort
>Gesualdo, Carlo : O vos omnes
>Palestrina, Giovanni : Super flumina Babylonis
>Desprez, Josquin : Absalon, Fili Mi, motet for 4 parts (poss. spurious)
>Byrd, William : Civitas sancti tui
>Tomkins, Thomas : When David heard
>Kirbye, George : Vox in Rama
>Schütz, Heinrich : St. Matthew Passion for 2 sopranos, alto, 3 tenors, 2 basses & chorus, SWV 479
>Schütz, Heinrich : Weib, was weinest du, SWV 443
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Saint Matthew Passion, BWV 244
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Saint John Passion, BWV 245
>Purcell, Henry : Te Deum
>     [Excerpt]
>Purcell, Henry : Jubilate Deo in D major
>Purcell, Henry : My beloved spake, Z 28
>Purcell, Henry : O God, thou art my god, anthem for 2 sopranos, alto, tenor, bass, double chorus & organ, Z. 35
>Purcell, Henry : Lord, how long wilt thou be angry?, Z 25
>Purcell, Henry : Remember not, Lord, our offences, Z 50
>Purcell, Henry : Hear my prayer, O Lord
>Purcell, Henry : In the midst of life
>Handel, George Frideric : Messiah, HWV 56, Oratorio
>Telemann, Georg Philipp : Selige Erwagen des Leidens und Sterbens Jesu Christi (I), passion oratorio for soloists, chorus, orc
>Pergolesi, Giovanni : Stabat Mater
>Pergolesi, Giovanni : Salve regina, for countertenor & strings in F minor (doubtful)
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Stabat Mater, H 20 bis
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Die Sieben letzten Worte unseres Erlosers am Kreuze (The Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross), o

Album Summary

>Palestrina, Giovanni : Stabat Mater
>Allegri, Gregorio : Miserere
>Ramsey, Robert : How Are the Mighty Fallen
>Weelkes, Thomas : When David heard
>Tallis, Thomas : Lamentations (Set 1)
>Victoria, Tomas L. de : O vos omnes, responsory for 4 voices
>Desprez, Josquin : Nymphes des bois/Requiem aeternam/Deploration de la Mort de Jehan Ockeghem
>Gesualdo, Carlo : O vos omnes
>Palestrina, Giovanni : Super flumina Babylonis
>Desprez, Josquin : Absalon, Fili Mi, motet for 4 parts (poss. spurious)
>Byrd, William : Civitas sancti tui
>Tomkins, Thomas : When David heard
>Kirbye, George : Vox in Rama
>Schütz, Heinrich : St. Matthew Passion for 2 sopranos, alto, 3 tenors, 2 basses & chorus, SWV 479
>Schütz, Heinrich : Weib, was weinest du, SWV 443
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Saint Matthew Passion, BWV 244
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Saint John Passion, BWV 245
>Purcell, Henry : Te Deum
>Purcell, Henry : Jubilate Deo in D major
>Purcell, Henry : My beloved spake, Z 28
>Purcell, Henry : O God, thou art my god, anthem for 2 sopranos, alto, tenor, bass, double chorus & organ, Z. 35
>Purcell, Henry : Lord, how long wilt thou be angry?, Z 25
>Purcell, Henry : Remember not, Lord, our offences, Z 50
>Purcell, Henry : Hear my prayer, O Lord
>Purcell, Henry : In the midst of life
>Handel, George Frideric : Messiah, HWV 56, Oratorio
>Telemann, Georg Philipp : Selige Erwagen des Leidens und Sterbens Jesu Christi (I), passion oratorio for soloists, chorus, orc
>Pergolesi, Giovanni : Stabat Mater
>Pergolesi, Giovanni : Salve regina, for countertenor & strings in F minor (doubtful)
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Stabat Mater, H 20 bis
>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Die Sieben letzten Worte unseres Erlosers am Kreuze (The Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross), o
Performers Conductors Ensemble
  • >
Composers

Notes & Reviews:

This stunning 15 CD collection contains some of the greatest sacred music ever written! From the great Lamentations of Byrd, Tallis and Palestrina, the listener is taken on a remarkable spiritual journey through Bach's great St Matthew Passion, Purcell's moving and bleak funeral music for Queen Mary, and Handel radiant Messiah. Pergolesi's masterful setting of the Stabat Mater and Telemann's Passions-Oratorium are also to be found here, along with Haydn's Stabat Mater and his dark and intense masterpiece 'Die sieben letzen Worte', or The Seven Last Words of Christ. Finally, Allegri's hauntingly beautiful 'Miserere' opens this collection - a work that was copied from memory after one hearing by the child Mozart. Prior to that moment the work had only been heard in the Vatican. First-rate performances from leading choirs include Kings College and Clare College, Cambridge, and the Stuttgart Chamber Chorus.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Palestrina, Giovanni : Stabat Mater
  • Running Time: 11 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Allegri, Gregorio : Miserere
  • Running Time: 12 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 16th Century

>Ramsey, Robert : How Are the Mighty Fallen
  • Running Time: 7 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Weelkes, Thomas : When David heard
  • Running Time: 4 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Tallis, Thomas : Lamentations (Set 1)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Tomás Luis de Victoria (Composer) (circa 1548 - 1611) : O vos omnes, responsory for 4 voices
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Desprez, Josquin : Nymphes des bois/Requiem aeternam/Deploration de la Mort de Jehan Ockeghem :: Déploration sur la mort
  • Running Time: 4 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1497

>Gesualdo, Carlo : O vos omnes
  • Running Time: 2 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: circa 1610

>Palestrina, Giovanni : Super flumina Babylonis
  • Running Time: 3 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1584

>Desprez, Josquin : Absalon, Fili Mi, motet for 4 parts (poss. spurious)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1497

>Byrd, William : Civitas sancti tui
  • Running Time: 4 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1589

>Tomkins, Thomas : When David heard
  • Notes: Composition written: By 1622.
  • Running Time: 4 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: by 1622

>Kirbye, George : Vox in Rama
  • Running Time: 4 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Heinrich Schütz (Composer) (1585 - 1672) : St. Matthew Passion for 2 sopranos, alto, 3 tenors, 2 basses & chorus, SWV 479
  • Performers: Gerd Türk (Tenor); Gerd Türk (Tenor); Matteo Messori (Organ); Matteo Messori (Organ); Bas Ramselaar (Bass); Bas Ramselaar (Bass)
  • Conductor: Matteo Messori
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1666
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Heinrich Schütz (Composer) (1585 - 1672) : Weib, was weinest du, SWV 443
  • Performers: Gerd Türk (Tenor); Gerd Türk (Tenor); Matteo Messori (Organ); Matteo Messori (Organ); Bas Ramselaar (Bass); Bas Ramselaar (Bass)
  • Conductor: Matteo Messori
  • Running Time: 4 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1645
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Saint Matthew Passion, BWV 244
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 141 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1736

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Saint John Passion, BWV 245
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Notes: King's College Chapel, Cambridge (03/18/1996-03/21/1996)
  • Running Time: 108 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 04/07/1724

>Purcell, Henry : Te Deum :: [Excerpt]
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 11 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1694

>Purcell, Henry : Jubilate Deo in D major
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 7 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1681

>Purcell, Henry : My beloved spake, Z 28
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 9 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1677

>Purcell, Henry : O God, thou art my god, anthem for 2 sopranos, alto, tenor, bass, double chorus & organ, Z. 35
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 3 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1681

>Purcell, Henry : Lord, how long wilt thou be angry?, Z 25
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 3 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1681

>Purcell, Henry : Remember not, Lord, our offences, Z 50
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 2 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1681

>Purcell, Henry : Hear my prayer, O Lord
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1681

>Purcell, Henry : In the midst of life
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 2 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Handel, George Frideric : Messiah, HWV 56, Oratorio
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 118 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 1741
  • Studio/Live: Live

>Telemann, Georg Philipp : Selige Erwägen des Leidens und Sterbens Jesu Christi (I), passion oratorio for soloists, chorus, orc
  • Conductor: Wolfgang Schafer
  • Running Time: 3 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Pergolesi, Giovanni : Stabat Mater
  • Performers: Angharad Jones (Soprano); Angharad Jones (Soprano); Julia Bishop (Violin); Julia Bishop (Violin); Joanna Levine (Cello); Joanna Levine (Cello); Peter Whiskin (Viola); Peter Whiskin (Viola); Timothy Brown (Organ); Timothy Brown (Organ); Lawrence Zazzo (Countertenor); Lawrence Zazzo (Countertenor); Joanna Parker (Violin); Joanna Parker (Violin); Mark Levy (Violone); Mark Levy (Violone)
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 33 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1736-1736

>Pergolesi, Giovanni : Salve regina, for countertenor & strings in F minor (doubtful)
  • Performers: Angharad Jones (Soprano); Angharad Jones (Soprano); Julia Bishop (Violin); Julia Bishop (Violin); Joanna Levine (Cello); Joanna Levine (Cello); Peter Whiskin (Viola); Peter Whiskin (Viola); Timothy Brown (Organ); Timothy Brown (Organ); Lawrence Zazzo (Countertenor); Lawrence Zazzo (Countertenor); Joanna Parker (Violin); Joanna Parker (Violin); Mark Levy (Violone); Mark Levy (Violone)
  • Conductor: Timothy Brown
  • Running Time: 12 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Stabat Mater, H 20 bis
  • Performers: Claes-Håkan Ahnsjo; Claes-Håkan Ahnsjo; Richard Anlauf (Bass); Richard Anlauf (Bass); Krisztina Laki (Voice); Krisztina Laki (Voice)
  • Conductor: Frieder Bernius
  • Running Time: 67 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1767

>Haydn, Franz Joseph : Die Sieben letzten Worte unseres Erlösers am Kreuze (The Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross), o
  • Performers: Daniel Sans (Tenor); Daniel Sans (Tenor); Christof Fischesser; Christof Fischesser; Petra Labitzke (Soprano); Petra Labitzke (Soprano)
  • Conductor: Nicol Matt
  • Notes: Hotel Wartburg, Mannheim, Germany (01/07/2002-01/09/2002)
  • Running Time: 52 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 1795-1796