1 800 222 6872

Forever Vienna [US] [CD+DVD]

Audio Samples

>Rieu, André : Strauss and Co., medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Suite no 2 for Jazz Orchestra
>     The Second Waltz
>Rieu, André : Carnaval de Venise (Carnival of Venice), medley for pops orchestra
>Rieu, André : Strauss Party, medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Traditional, Russian : Dark eyes ("Ochi chornye," "Black Eyes"), folk song
>Lehár, Franz : Lippen schweigen (Lips Stay Silent) (from "Die lustige Witwe")
>Rieu, André : Danube Love Medley, for violin & pops orchestra
>Marchetti, Fernando : Fascination, song
>Cortez, Quirino Mendoza y : Cielito Lindo, song for voice & guitar
>Kartner, Pierre : The Red Rose Cafe
>Lehár, Franz : Vilja-Lied ("Es lebt eine Vilja") (from "Die lustige Witwe")
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Wiener Blut
>Rieu, André : Dancing Through the Skies, medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Wein, Weib und Gesang, Op. 333
>Rieu, André : On Holiday, medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Rieu, André : Czardasfurstin (The Gypsy Princess), medley for violin & pops orchestra (after Emmerich Kalman)
>Word, Spoken : Introduction by Andre Rieu
>Willson, Meredith : The Music Man
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Das Spitzentuch der Konigin
>Jackson, Michael : Ben
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : An der schonen, blauen Donau, Op. 314
>Strauss I (Senior), Johann : Radetzky March, Op. 228
>Anonymous : Scotland the Brave
>Newton, John : Amazing Grace
>Rodgers, Richard : Carousel

Album Summary

>Rieu, André : Strauss and Co., medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Suite no 2 for Jazz Orchestra
>Rieu, André : Carnaval de Venise (Carnival of Venice), medley for pops orchestra
>Rieu, André : Strauss Party, medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Traditional, Russian : Dark eyes ("Ochi chornye," "Black Eyes"), folk song
>Lehár, Franz : Lippen schweigen (Lips Stay Silent) (from "Die lustige Witwe")
>Rieu, André : Danube Love Medley, for violin & pops orchestra
>Marchetti, Fernando : Fascination, song
>Cortez, Quirino Mendoza y : Cielito Lindo, song for voice & guitar
>Kartner, Pierre : The Red Rose Cafe
>Lehár, Franz : Vilja-Lied ("Es lebt eine Vilja") (from "Die lustige Witwe")
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Wiener Blut
>Rieu, André : Dancing Through the Skies, medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Wein, Weib und Gesang, Op. 333
>Rieu, André : On Holiday, medley for violin & pops orchestra
>Rieu, André : Czardasfurstin (The Gypsy Princess), medley for violin & pops orchestra (after Emmerich Kalman)
>Word, Spoken : Introduction by Andre Rieu
>Willson, Meredith : The Music Man
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Das Spitzentuch der Konigin
>Jackson, Michael : Ben
>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : An der schonen, blauen Donau, Op. 314
>Strauss I (Senior), Johann : Radetzky March, Op. 228
>Anonymous : Scotland the Brave
>Newton, John : Amazing Grace
>Rodgers, Richard : Carousel
Performer Composers
Notes & Reviews:

If any contemporary musician merits Johann Strauss' moniker, "The Waltz King," it is assuredly the indefatigable André Rieu, whose scintillating concerts have delighted audiences around the world. Forever Vienna, Rieu's 2010 release on Decca, is a representative sampler of his lively repertoire, and the violinist/conductor and his Johann Strauss Orchestra present a jovial mix of medleys and popular waltzes by the Strausses, Franz Lehár, Dmitry Shostakovich, and other composers whose dances have become familiar light classical fare. Most of the arrangements are Rieu's, and they display his characteristic whimsy and splashy orchestration, sometimes featuring a prominent violin part for himself, but often highlighting other musicians in enviable solos. The medleys are perhaps the most surprising and clever offerings, for Rieu occasionally inserts references to masterpieces that are far from the ballroom floor: the opening horn call from Bruckner's Fourth is a quirky way to open Danube Love Medley, a potpourri of waltzes, and who would expect Rossini's William Tell Overture or Suppé's Light Cavalry in the high-spirited Strauss Party? But as unexpected as these quotations are, they always work because of the music's buoyant humor and Rieu's charming way of letting his audience in on the jokes. The sound of these recordings is full, warm, and effervescent, and the evenness of volume over the tracks allows a comfortable home listening experience.~Blair Sanderson



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : Strauss and Co., medley for violin & pops orchestra
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Suite no 2 for Jazz Orchestra :: The Second Waltz
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1938.
  • Running Time: 3 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1938

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : Carnaval de Venise (Carnival of Venice), medley for pops orchestra
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : Strauss Party, medley for violin & pops orchestra
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Traditional, Russian : Dark eyes ("Ochi chornye," "Black Eyes"), folk song
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 20 sec.
  • Written: circa 1800

>Franz Lehár (1870 - 1948) : Lippen schweigen (Lips Stay Silent) (from "Die lustige Witwe")
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : Danube Love Medley, for violin & pops orchestra
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Form: Concerto

>Marchetti, Fernando : Fascination, song
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1904-1905

>Cortez, Quirino Mendoza y : Cielito Lindo, song for voice & guitar
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 03/10/1882

>Kartner, Pierre : The Red Rose Café
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Franz Lehár (1870 - 1948) : Vilja-Lied ("Es lebt eine Vilja") (from "Die lustige Witwe")
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Vocal

>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Wiener Blut
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1873

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : Dancing Through the Skies, medley for violin & pops orchestra
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Wein, Weib und Gesang, Op. 333
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1869

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : On Holiday, medley for violin & pops orchestra
  • Performer: André Rieu (Violin)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : Czardasfürstin (The Gypsy Princess), medley for violin & pops orchestra (after Emmerich Kálmán)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Word, Spoken : Introduction by André Rieu
  • Running Time: 4 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Willson, Meredith : The Music Man
  • Running Time: 2 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1957

>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : Das Spitzentuch der Königin
  • Running Time: 6 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1880

>Jackson, Michael : Ben
  • Running Time: 3 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Strauss II (Junior), Johann : An der schönen, blauen Donau, Op. 314
  • Running Time: 5 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1867

>Strauss I (Senior), Johann : Radetzky March, Op. 228
  • Running Time: 2 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: March
  • Written: 1848

>André Rieu (1949 - ) : Strauss and Co., medley for violin & pops orchestra
  • Running Time: 3 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Anonymous : Scotland the Brave
  • Running Time: 1 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 19th Century

>Newton, John : Amazing Grace
  • Notes: Composition written: 1779.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1779

>Rodgers, Richard : Carousel
  • Running Time: 5 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern