Personnel includes: Phil Woods, Red Garland, Ray Copeland, Teddy Kotick, Nick Stabulas.
Recorded in July 1957.
This CD from Fantasy's Original Jazz Classics series is essentially a bebop jam session. The quintet (altoist Phil Woods, trumpeter Ray Copeland, pianist Red Garland, bassist Teddy Kotick and drummer Nick Stabulas) performs three Charlie Parker compositions and three originals by Woods, but the melodies are quickly discarded in favor of heated solos. Woods and the greatly underrated Copeland work together very well, and Garland is a major asset both as a soloist and as an accompanist to the horns. This little-known date is quite enjoyable. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Phil and Quill (Quill, Gene)
- Swingchronicity (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Bye Bye Birdie (Quill, Gene)
- Blues for New Orleans (DePaula, Irio)
- The Gershwin Affair (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Balladeer Supreme, Vol. 1 (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Play Rava (Rava, Enrico)
- Dizzy Gillespie Meets the Phil Woods Quintet (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Solitude (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Sing & Play the Phil Woods Songbook, Vol. 1 (Lombardi, Michela)
- Man With the Hat (Grace Kelly (Sax))
- Right to Swing (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Giants at Work Set 1 (Coates, John, Jr.)
- NYC Sessions [Digipak] (Allyson, Karrin)
- Together for the First Time (Adams, Pepper)
- Phil's Mood: Woods Plays Pieranunzi (Pieranunzi, Enrico)
- Kindred Spirits Live at Chan's (Abate, Greg)