Personnel includes: Phil Woods, Red Garland, Ray Copeland, Teddy Kotick, Nick Stabulas.
Recorded in July 1957.
Sugan, from Fantasy's Original Jazz Classics series, is essentially a bebop jam session. The quintet (altoist Phil Woods, trumpeter Ray Copeland, pianist Red Garland, bassist Teddy Kotick, and drummer Nick Stabulas) performs three Charlie Parker compositions and three originals by Woods, but the melodies are quickly discarded in favor of heated solos. Woods and the greatly underrated Copeland work together very well, and Garland is a major asset both as a soloist and as an accompanist to the horns. This little-known date is quite enjoyable. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Phil and Quill (Quill, Gene)
- Blues for New Orleans (DePaula, Irio)
- The Gershwin Affair (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Balladeer Supreme, Vol. 1 (D'Andrea, Franco)
- Play Rava (Rava, Enrico)
- Dizzy Gillespie Meets the Phil Woods Quintet (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Sing & Play the Phil Woods Songbook, Vol. 1 (Lombardi, Michela)
- NYC Sessions [Digipak] (Allyson, Karrin)
- Together for the First Time (Adams, Pepper)
- Phil's Mood: Woods Plays Pieranunzi (Pieranunzi, Enrico)
- Sextet & Octet (Jim Chapin)
- Kindred Spirits Live at Chan's [Digipak] (Abate, Greg)