Personnel includes: Phil Woods, Red Garland, Ray Copeland, Teddy Kotick, Nick Stabulas.
Recorded in July 1957.
This CD from Fantasy's Original Jazz Classics series is essentially a bebop jam session. The quintet (altoist Phil Woods, trumpeter Ray Copeland, pianist Red Garland, bassist Teddy Kotick and drummer Nick Stabulas) performs three Charlie Parker compositions and three originals by Woods, but the melodies are quickly discarded in favor of heated solos. Woods and the greatly underrated Copeland work together very well, and Garland is a major asset both as a soloist and as an accompanist to the horns. This little-known date is quite enjoyable. ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Swingchronicity (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Dizzy Gillespie Meets the Phil Woods Quintet (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Solitude (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Man With the Hat (Grace Kelly)
- Greg Abate Quintet Featuring Phil Woods (Abate, Greg)
- Right to Swing (The DePaul University Jazz Ense)
- Rhythmstick (CTI All-Stars)
- This Is How I Feel About Jazz (Jones, Quincy)
- Jazz Alive: A Night at the Half Note (Cohn, Al)
- SWR Big Band: Jazz Matinee (SWR Big Band)