1 800 222 6872

50 Best Hymns

Audio Samples

>Goss, John : Hymn
>Traditional, Gaelic : Morning has broken (Bunessan), song
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : English Hymnal
>Luther, Martin : A Mighty Fortress Is Our God (Ein feste Burg)
>Traditional, French : O what their joy and their glory must be (Regnator Orbis), song
>Miller, Edward : Hymn
>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune
>     Repton), anthem
>Traditional, Irish : Be Thou My Vision
>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn
>     St. Clement)
>Traditional, French : Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence, carol
>Traditional, German : Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
>Ireland, John [Composer] : My song is love unknown, hymn for chorus
>Bain, James : The Lord's my shepherd, hymn (tune Brother James)
>Hymnal, New English : Thine be the glory (tune Maccabeaus, after Handel), no 120
>Gibbons, Orlando : Hymn
>Taylor, Cyril : Glorious things of thee are spoken (tune
>     Abbot's Leigh), hymn
>Bourgeois, Louis : All People That on Earth Do Dwell
>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me
>     Eventide)
>Holst, Gustav : I vow to thee, my country
>Pritchard, Rowland Hugh : Alleluia! Sing to Jesus, hymn
>Gauntlett, Henry John : Ye choirs of new Jerusalem (St. Fulbert)
>Clarke, Jeremiah : The head that once was crowned with thorns
>Dykes, John Bacchus : Holy, holy, holy "Nicaea"
>     Nicaea), for chorus & organ
>Haweis, Thomas : Praise to the Holiest in the height (Tune
>     Richmond)
>Nicolai, Otto [Composer] : Wake, O wake
>Anonymous, German : On Jordans's bank the Baptist's cry
>Horsley, William : There is a green hill far away
>     Horsley)
>Hassler, Hans Leo : O Sacred Head, hymn
>Anonymous, English : Jesus Christ Is Risen Today, Alleluya! (from the Lyra Davidica)
>Redhead, Richard : Bright the vision that delighted (tune Redhead) (NEH 343)
>Hymnal, New English : Come, Holy Ghost, Our Souls Inspire (tune "Veni Creator") (New English Hymnal no 138)
>Gardiner, Henry Balfour : Evening Hymn
>Traditional, Swedish : O store Gud (How great thou art), hymn (tune Sanningsvittnet)
>Harwood, Basil : Let all the world in every corner sing
>Traditional, American : New Britain (Amazing Grace) [The Sacred Harp] (Philadelphia)
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : For All the Saints Who from Their Labours Rest, hymn ("Sine nomine")
>Reinagle, Alexander : How sweet the name of Jesus sounds (Tune
>     St. Peter)
>Handel, George Frideric : Rejoice, the Lord is King, HWV 286
>Maher, William : Soul of my Saviour (Anima Christi), hymn
>Watts, Isaac : Jesus shall reign where'er the sun (tune
>     Truro) no 388 (First Tune)
>Croft, William : O worship the King (Tune
>     Hanover, or Tally's)
>Anonymous, German : All Creatures of Our God and King
>Traditional, American : John Brown's Body, folk song (tune Mine eyes have seen the glory)
>Filitz, Friedrich : Lead us, Heavenly Father, lead us (Tune
>     Mannheim)
>Bennard, George : The Old Rugged Cross, hymn
>Howells, Herbert : All my hope on God is founded
>     Michael), for chorus
>Montani, Nicola A. : O Come and Mourn With Me Awhile
>Rowlands, William P. : Love Divine, All Loves Excelling (Tune
>     Blaenwern)
>Sullivan, Arthur : Onward! Christian Soldiers

Album Summary

>Goss, John : Hymn
>Traditional, Gaelic : Morning has broken (Bunessan), song
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : English Hymnal
>Luther, Martin : A Mighty Fortress Is Our God (Ein feste Burg)
>Traditional, French : O what their joy and their glory must be (Regnator Orbis), song
>Miller, Edward : Hymn
>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune
>Traditional, Irish : Be Thou My Vision
>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn
>Traditional, French : Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence, carol
>Traditional, German : Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
>Ireland, John [Composer] : My song is love unknown, hymn for chorus
>Bain, James : The Lord's my shepherd, hymn (tune Brother James)
>Hymnal, New English : Thine be the glory (tune Maccabeaus, after Handel), no 120
>Gibbons, Orlando : Hymn
>Taylor, Cyril : Glorious things of thee are spoken (tune
>Bourgeois, Louis : All People That on Earth Do Dwell
>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me
>Holst, Gustav : I vow to thee, my country
>Pritchard, Rowland Hugh : Alleluia! Sing to Jesus, hymn
>Gauntlett, Henry John : Ye choirs of new Jerusalem (St. Fulbert)
>Clarke, Jeremiah : The head that once was crowned with thorns
>Dykes, John Bacchus : Holy, holy, holy "Nicaea"
>Haweis, Thomas : Praise to the Holiest in the height (Tune
>Nicolai, Otto [Composer] : Wake, O wake
>Anonymous, German : On Jordans's bank the Baptist's cry
>Horsley, William : There is a green hill far away
>Hassler, Hans Leo : O Sacred Head, hymn
>Anonymous, English : Jesus Christ Is Risen Today, Alleluya! (from the Lyra Davidica)
>Redhead, Richard : Bright the vision that delighted (tune Redhead) (NEH 343)
>Hymnal, New English : Come, Holy Ghost, Our Souls Inspire (tune "Veni Creator") (New English Hymnal no 138)
>Gardiner, Henry Balfour : Evening Hymn
>Traditional, Swedish : O store Gud (How great thou art), hymn (tune Sanningsvittnet)
>Harwood, Basil : Let all the world in every corner sing
>Traditional, American : New Britain (Amazing Grace) [The Sacred Harp] (Philadelphia)
>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : For All the Saints Who from Their Labours Rest, hymn ("Sine nomine")
>Reinagle, Alexander : How sweet the name of Jesus sounds (Tune
>Handel, George Frideric : Rejoice, the Lord is King, HWV 286
>Maher, William : Soul of my Saviour (Anima Christi), hymn
>Watts, Isaac : Jesus shall reign where'er the sun (tune
>Croft, William : O worship the King (Tune
>Anonymous, German : All Creatures of Our God and King
>Traditional, American : John Brown's Body, folk song (tune Mine eyes have seen the glory)
>Filitz, Friedrich : Lead us, Heavenly Father, lead us (Tune
>Bennard, George : The Old Rugged Cross, hymn
>Howells, Herbert : All my hope on God is founded
>Montani, Nicola A. : O Come and Mourn With Me Awhile
>Rowlands, William P. : Love Divine, All Loves Excelling (Tune
>Sullivan, Arthur : Onward! Christian Soldiers
Performers Conductors Ensembles Composers


Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Goss, John : Hymn
  • Performers: Thomas Williamson (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 2 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Traditional, Gaelic : Morning has broken (Bunessan), song
  • Performer: Sioned Williams (Harp)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 1 min. 50 sec.
  • Form: Vocal

>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : English Hymnal
  • Performer: Thomas Williamson (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1905

>Luther, Martin : A Mighty Fortress Is Our God (Ein feste Burg)
  • Performer: Thomas Williamson (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Ensemble: Wallace Collection (Brass Ensemble)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1529

>Traditional, French : O what their joy and their glory must be (Regnator Orbis), song
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 7 min. 54 sec.
  • Form: Vocal

>Miller, Edward : Hymn
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Choral

>Parry, Charles H. : Dear Lord and Father of mankind (Tune :: Repton), anthem
  • Performers: Benjamin Bayl (Organ); Thomas Bullard (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1888

>Traditional, Irish : Be Thou My Vision
  • Performer: Sioned Williams (Harp)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 4 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Scholefield, Clement Cotterill : Hymn :: St. Clement)
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1874

>Traditional, French : Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence, carol
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 4 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Traditional, German : Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
  • Performers: Thomas Williamson (Organ); Stephen Cleobury (Descant)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Choral

>Ireland, John [Composer] : My song is love unknown, hymn for chorus
  • Performer: Thomas Williamson (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral

>Bain, James : The Lord's my shepherd, hymn (tune Brother James)
  • Performers: Sioned Williams (Harp); Thomas Bullard (Baritone)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 2 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Hymnal, New English : Thine be the glory (tune Maccabeaus, after Handel), no 120
  • Performer: Thomas Williamson (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Ensemble: Wallace Collection (Brass Ensemble)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Gibbons, Orlando : Hymn
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 1 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Taylor, Cyril : Glorious things of thee are spoken (tune :: Abbot's Leigh), hymn
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Bourgeois, Louis : All People That on Earth Do Dwell
  • Performer: Benjamin Bayl (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Ensemble: Wallace Collection (Brass Ensemble)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Parry, Charles H. : Jerusalem ("And did those feet in ancient time"), for chorus & organ (or orchestra)
  • Performer: Oliver Brett (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1916

>Monk, William Henry : Abide with me :: Eventide)
  • Performer: Peter Stevens (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 4 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1861

>Holst, Gustav : I vow to thee, my country
  • Performer: Peter Stevens (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 2 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1921

>Pritchard, Rowland Hugh : Alleluia! Sing to Jesus, hymn
  • Performer: Oliver Brett (Organ)
  • Conductor: Stephen Cleobury
  • Running Time: 3 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1830

>Gauntlett, Henry John : Ye choirs of new Jerusalem (St. Fulbert)
  • Performer: Ian Hare (Organ)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Clarke, Jeremiah : The head that once was crowned with thorns
  • Performers: Ian Hare (Organ); David Willcocks (Descant)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral

>Dykes, John Bacchus : Holy, holy, holy "Nicaea" :: Nicaea), for chorus & organ
  • Performer: Ian Hare (Organ)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral

>Haweis, Thomas : Praise to the Holiest in the height (Tune :: Richmond)
  • Performer: Ian Hare (Organ)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Nicolai, Otto [Composer] : Wake, O wake
  • Performer: Adrian Partington (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Ledger
  • Running Time: 3 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Anonymous, German : On Jordans's bank the Baptist's cry
  • Performers: Philip Ledger (Descant); Adrian Partington (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Ledger
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.

>Horsley, William : There is a green hill far away :: Horsley)
  • Conductor: Philip Ledger
  • Running Time: 2 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Hassler, Hans Leo : O Sacred Head, hymn
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1601

>Anonymous, English : Jesus Christ Is Risen Today, Alleluya! (from the Lyra Davidica)
  • Performer: Ian Hare (Organ)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 3 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral

>Redhead, Richard : Bright the vision that delighted (tune Redhead) (NEH 343)
  • Performers: Ian Hare (Organ); David Willcocks (Descant)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Hymnal, New English : Come, Holy Ghost, Our Souls Inspire (tune "Veni Creator") (New English Hymnal no 138)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 2 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Gardiner, Henry Balfour : Evening Hymn
  • Performer: James Lancelot (Organ)
  • Conductor: David Willcocks
  • Running Time: 5 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1910

>Traditional, Swedish : O store Gud (How great thou art), hymn (tune Sanningsvittnet)
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 3 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: after 1886

>Harwood, Basil : Let all the world in every corner sing
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 1 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Traditional, American : New Britain (Amazing Grace) [The Sacred Harp] (Philadelphia)
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 4 min. 1 sec.
  • Written: 1860

>Vaughan Williams, Ralph : For All the Saints Who from Their Labours Rest, hymn ("Sine nomine")
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 5 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: circa 1905

>Reinagle, Alexander : How sweet the name of Jesus sounds (Tune :: St. Peter)
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 2 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Handel, George Frideric : Rejoice, the Lord is King, HWV 286
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: circa 1747

>Maher, William : Soul of my Saviour (Anima Christi), hymn
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 2 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Watts, Isaac : Jesus shall reign where'er the sun (tune :: Truro) no 388 (First Tune)
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 1 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque

>Croft, William : O worship the King (Tune :: Hanover, or Tally's)
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 3 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: circa 1708

>Anonymous, German : All Creatures of Our God and King
  • Performer: John Whiteley (Organ)
  • Conductor: Philip Moore
  • Running Time: 4 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Traditional, American : John Brown's Body, folk song (tune Mine eyes have seen the glory)
  • Performers: Ian Wells (Organ); Ian Tracey (Descant)
  • Conductor: Ian Tracey
  • Running Time: 2 min. 53 sec.

>Filitz, Friedrich : Lead us, Heavenly Father, lead us (Tune :: Mannheim)
  • Performer: Ian Wells (Organ)
  • Conductor: Ian Tracey
  • Running Time: 1 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Bennard, George : The Old Rugged Cross, hymn
  • Performer: Ian Wells (Organ)
  • Conductor: Ian Tracey
  • Running Time: 4 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1913

>Howells, Herbert : All my hope on God is founded :: Michael), for chorus
  • Performer: Ian Wells (Organ)
  • Conductor: Ian Tracey
  • Running Time: 3 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1930s

>Montani, Nicola A. : O Come and Mourn With Me Awhile
  • Performer: Ian Wells (Organ)
  • Conductor: Ian Tracey
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Choral

>Rowlands, William P. : Love Divine, All Loves Excelling (Tune :: Blaenwern)
  • Performer: Ian Wells (Organ)
  • Conductor: Ian Tracey
  • Running Time: 2 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Choral

>Sullivan, Arthur : Onward! Christian Soldiers
  • Performer: Ian Wells (Organ)
  • Conductor: Ian Tracey
  • Running Time: 4 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Choral