Full performer name: Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet.
Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet: Art Farmer (trumpet); Benny Golson (tenor saxophone); Curtis Fuller (trombone); McCoy Tyner (piano); Addison Farmer (bass); Lex Humphries (drums).
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois on February 6, 9 & 10, 1960. Originally released on Argo (664). Includes liner notes by Scott Yanow.
One of the top hard bop contingents of the '50s and '60s, the Art Farmer and Benny Golson co-led group known as the Jazztet featured some of the best original charts and soloing of the entire era. While the group was only in existence between 1959-1962, its excellent reputation could rest on this stunning disc alone. Cut in 1960, the ten-track date features four of Golson's classic originals ("I Remember Clifford," "Blues March," "Park Avenue Petite," and "Killer Joe") and one very fetching Farmer-penned cut ("Mox Nix"). The rest of the standards-heavy mix is given the golden touch by the sextet. And what a combo this is -- besides Farmer's svelte trumpet lines and Golson's frenetically vaporous tenor solos, one gets a chance to hear a young but already very accomplished McCoy Tyner, the tart and mercurial trombonist Curtis Fuller, and the streamlined rhythm tandem of Addison Farmer and Lex Humphries. An essential hard bop title. ~ Stephen Cook
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Complete Studio Recordings (McKusick, Hal)
- Three Trumpets (Byrd, Donald)
- In Stockholm & Hollywood 1969 (Mulligan, Gerry)
- Swiss Radio Days Jazz Live Trio Concert Series, Vo (Jordan, Clifford)
- Art Farmer Quintet Featuring Gigi Gryce (Gryce, Gigi)
- Complete Jam Sessions [Bonus Tracks] [Remastered] (Ammons, Gene)
- On Line (Raiff, Guy)
- Live in Genoa 1981 (Konitz, Lee)
- Big Blues (Hall, Jim)
- Two Trumpets [Remastered] (Byrd, Donald)