- Johanna Koslowsky (Soprano)
- Mechthild Bach (Soprano)
- Wilfried Jochens (Tenor)
- Stephan Schreckenberger (Bass)
- Wolf Friedrich (Bass)
- Hans-Jorg Mammel (Voice)
- Monika Mauch (Soprano)
- Susanne Rydén (Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
Performance with solo voices has become the trademark of Cantus Cölln. In this recording of Bach's B minor Mass it should not be seen as a dogmatic position, but rather as an alternative style of interpretation. It allows the often extremely complicated contrapuntal web of Bach's polyphonic style to be presented with great clarity, illuminating many passages that are usually drowned in generalized sonic exhilaration. In such movements as the "Et incarnatus" and "Cruci? xus" the personal emotional statement becomes much more individual and striking. What is more, the altered performing conditions result in new, unexpected and surprising balances and sonorities.
CD Review - Nick Morgan
I hereby promote Cantus Cölln's new B minor Mass, 2 CDs at mid-price from Harmonia Mundi, to my top choice for this work, even in stereo.
Recording information: Église St. Osdag, Neustadt-Mandelsloh (02/2003).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsBach, Johann Sebastian : Mass in B minor, BWV 232
- Performers: Hans-Jorg Mammel (Voice); Monika Mauch (Soprano); Johanna Koslowsky (Soprano); Mechthild Bach (Soprano); Wilfried Jochens (Tenor); Stephan Schreckenberger (Bass); Wolf Friedrich (Bass); Susanne Rydén (Soprano)
- Conductor: Konrad Junghanel
- Running Time: 90 min. 9 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Form: Choral
- Written: 1748-1749