Album Remarks & Appraisals:
Anthony Braxon - saxophones, Evan Parker - saxophones, Paul Rutherford - trombone. Recorded May 22, 1993 London.
Jazziz (2/95, p.98) - "...these musicians pay close attention to dynamics and the use of space, so these five performances have more variety and structure than one might expect....this fine outing should interest followers of the more adventurous jazz improvisers..."
/Evan Parker/Paul Rutherford.
Personnel includes: Anthony Braxton (alto saxophone); Evan Parker (soprano saxophone); Paul Rutherford (trombone).
Personnel: Anthony Braxton (soprano saxophone, alto saxophone).
Recording information: Bloomsbury Theatre, London Jazz Festival (05/22/1993).
Despite what some jazz purists may feel about Anthony Braxton's challenging, exploratory music, the saxophonist and composer has a great love for and knowledge of jazz in all its forms. That love is best expressed on TRIO (LONDON) 1993 on the opening track, "The Honker." "Honking" tenor sax is a standard sound of jump blues and R&B, and while Braxton would never be so literal-minded as to attempt to recreate that style in this surprisingly contemplative 18-minute piece, he and fellow reed player Evan Parker slip in occasional phrases that make clear their love of jazz's more raucous side. Elsewhere on this live performance with Parker and trombonist Paul Rutherford--a lineup that emphasizes the sweeter, more sonorous side of Braxton's often forbidding, sometimes abrasive music--Braxton continues his fearless exploration of what constitutes jazz. The lack of percussive instruments de-emphasizes the arrhythmic qualities of Braxton's compositional method, making TRIO (LONDON) 1993 perhaps more welcoming for newcomers to his unique style.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Zurich Concerts (Guy, Barry)
- Toronto Duets 2007 (Kyle Brenders)
- Four Duo Improvisations 2007 (Morris, Joe (Guitar))
- Duo (Heidelberg Loppem) (Leandre, Joelle)
- Creative Orchestra: Bolzano 2007 [Digipak] (Italian Instabile Orchestra)
- Old Dogs [Box] (Hemingway, Gerry)
- GTM (Syntax) 2003 (Ann Rhodes)
- Ensemble Montaigne (BAU 4) 2013 (Ensemble Montaigne)
- Improvisations (Duo) 2008 (Yakshieva, Maral)
- Trio (New Haven) 2013 [Digipak] (Fujiwara, Tomas)
- ABCD (Dahlgren, Chris)
- Duets (Pittsburgh) 2008 (Ben Opie)