1 800 222 6872

Balakirev: Complete Piano Works / Alexander Paley, piano

Audio Samples

  1. Balakirev — Islamey, Op. 18 $0.69 on iTunes
  2. Balakirev — Phantasiestück $0.69 on iTunes
  3. Balakirev — Nocturne No. 1 in B-Flat Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  4. Balakirev — Nocturne No. 2 in B Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  5. Balakirev — Nocturne No. 3 in D Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  6. Balakirev — Capriccio
  7. Balakirev — Piano Sonata in B-Flat Minor, Op. 5: I. Andante
  8. Balakirev — Piano Sonata in B-Flat Minor, Op. 5: II. Mazurka $0.69 on iTunes
  9. Balakirev — Piano Sonata in B-Flat Minor, Op. 5: III. Andante $0.69 on iTunes
  10. Balakirev — Sonatina: I. Allegro moderato $0.69 on iTunes
  11. Balakirev — Sonatina: III. Poco a Poco piu Agitato $0.69 on iTunes
  12. Balakirev — Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-Flat Minor: I. Andantino $0.69 on iTunes
  13. Balakirev — Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-Flat Minor: II. Mazurka. Moderato $0.69 on iTunes
  14. Balakirev — Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-Flat Minor: III. Intermezzo Larghetto $0.69 on iTunes
  15. Balakirev — Piano Sonata No. 2 in B-Flat Minor: IV. Finale. Allegro non troppo ma con fuoco $0.69 on iTunes
  16. Balakirev — Kamarinskaya (arr. by Mily Balakirev) $0.69 on iTunes
  17. Balakirev — Ne govori (arr. by Mily Balakirev) $0.69 on iTunes
  18. Balakirev — Piano Concerto No. 1 in E Minor, Op. 11: II. Romance (arr. by Mily Balakirev)
  19. Balakirev — String Quartet No. 13 in B-Flat Major, Op. 130: V. Cavatina (arr. by Mily Balakirev) $0.69 on iTunes
  20. Balakirev — Beethoven: Allegretto from String Quartet No. 8 in E Minor, Op. 59 No. 2 $0.69 on iTunes
  21. Balakirev — Réverie (arr. by Mily Balakirev) $0.69 on iTunes
  22. Balakirev — Pustinya $0.69 on iTunes
  23. Balakirev — Impromptu on the Themes of Two Preludes by Chopin $0.69 on iTunes
  24. Balakirev — Jota Aragonesca (arr. by Mily Balakirev)
  25. Balakirev — Waltz No. 1 in G Major $0.69 on iTunes
  26. Balakirev — Waltz No. 2 in F Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  27. Balakirev — Waltz No. 3 in D Major $0.69 on iTunes
  28. Balakirev — Waltz No. 4 in B-Flat Major $0.69 on iTunes
  29. Balakirev — Waltz No. 5 in D-Flat Major $0.69 on iTunes
  30. Balakirev — Waltz No. 6 in F-Sharp Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  31. Balakirev — Waltz No. 7 in G-Sharp Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  32. Balakirev — Polka $0.69 on iTunes
  33. Balakirev — Tarantella $0.69 on iTunes
  34. Balakirev — 2 Walzer-Capriccios of Taneyev: No. 1 in A-Flat Major $0.69 on iTunes
  35. Balakirev — 2 Walzer-Capriccios of Taneyev: No. 2 in D-Flat Major $0.69 on iTunes
  36. Balakirev — Mazurka No. 1 in A-Flat Major $0.69 on iTunes
  37. Balakirev — Mazurka No. 2 in C-Sharp Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  38. Balakirev — Mazurka No. 3 in B Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  39. Balakirev — Mazurka No. 4 in G-Flat Major $0.69 on iTunes
  40. Balakirev — Mazurka No. 5 in D Major $0.69 on iTunes
  41. Balakirev — Mazurka No. 6 in A-Flat Major $0.69 on iTunes
  42. Balakirev — Mazurka No. 7 in E-Flat Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  43. Balakirev — Scherzo No. 1 in B Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  44. Balakirev — Scherzo No. 2 in B-Flat Minor $0.69 on iTunes
  45. Balakirev — Scherzo No. 3 in F-Sharp Major $0.69 on iTunes
  46. Balakirev — Dumka $0.69 on iTunes
  47. Balakirev — Au jardin $0.69 on iTunes

Album Summary

>Balakirev, Mily : Oriental Fantasy for Piano, Op. 18 "Islamey"
>Balakirev, Mily : Reminiscences on "A Life for the Czar", for piano (2nd version of Fantasy on Glinka's themes)
>Balakirev, Mily : Phantasiestück, for piano in D flat major
>Balakirev, Mily : Nocturne for piano no 1 in B flat minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Nocturne for piano no 2 in B minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Nocturne for piano no 3 in D minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Capriccio for piano in D major
>Balakirev, Mily : Sonata for Piano no 1 in B flat minor, Op. 5
>Balakirev, Mily : Esquisses (Sonatina) for Piano in G major
>Balakirev, Mily : Sonata for Piano [No. 2] in B flat minor
>Glinka, Mikhail : Kamarinskaya (Russian scherzo), fantasy for orchestra, G. ii105
>Glinka, Mikhail : Say not that it grieves the heart (Ne govori, chto serdtsu), song for voice & piano, G. x335
>Chopin, Frédéric : Concerto for Piano no 1 in E minor, B 53/Op. 11
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Quartet for Strings no 13 in B flat major, Op. 130
>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Quartet for Strings no 8 in E minor, Op. 59/2
>Zapolsky : Reverie
>Balakirev, Mily : The Wilderness (Pustïnya), song transcription for piano
>Berlioz, Hector : La Fuite en Egypte
>Balakirev, Mily : Impromptu, for piano (after Chopin's Preludes in E flat minor and B major)
>Glinka, Mikhail : Capriccio brillante on the Jota Aragonesa (Spanish Overture no 1), for orchestra, G. ii3
>Balakirev, Mily : Valse di bravura, waltz for piano no 1 in G major
>Balakirev, Mily : Valse mélancholique, waltz for piano no 2 in F minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Valse-impromptu, waltz for piano no 3 in D major
>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 4 in B flat major ("Valse de concert")
>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 5 in D flat major
>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 6 in F sharp minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 7 in G sharp minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Polka, for piano in F sharp minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Tarantella for piano in B major
>Tan, Alexander Sergeyevich : Valse-Caprice, for piano no 1 in A flat major (arr. by Balakirev)
>Tan, Alexander Sergeyevich : Valse-Caprice, for piano no 2 in D flat major (arr. by Balakirev)
>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 1 in A flat major (2nd Version)
>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 2 in C sharp minor (2nd Version)
>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 3 in B minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 4 in G flat major
>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 5 in D major
>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 6 in A flat major
>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 7 in E flat minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Scherzo for piano no 1 in B minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Scherzo for piano no 2 in B flat minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Scherzo for piano no 3 in F sharp major
>Balakirev, Mily : Dumka, for piano in E flat minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Au jardin, étude-idylle for piano in D flat major
>Balakirev, Mily : Gondellied, for piano in A minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Berceuse for piano in D flat major
>Balakirev, Mily : The Lark
>Balakirev, Mily : Mélodie espagnole, for piano in D flat major
>Balakirev, Mily : Sérénade espagnol, for piano (revision of Fandango-étude)
>Balakirev, Mily : La Fileuse, for piano in B flat minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Tyrolienne, for piano in F sharp major
>Balakirev, Mily : Chant du pêcheur, for piano in B minor
>Balakirev, Mily : Humoresque, for piano in D major
>Balakirev, Mily : Rêverie, for piano in F major
>Balakirev, Mily : Novelette, for piano in A major
>Balakirev, Mily : Toccata for piano in C sharp minor
Performer Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Founder of the group of Russian composers called 'The Mighty Handful', Mily Balakirev is known for having helped create a distinctive Russian school of music that was not reliant on the influence of the Austro German school. On these 6 CDs his entire output for piano can be found. A superb pianist, he produced one of the most taxing works ever written for the instrument, his Oriental Fantasy Islamey.

MusicWeb International
Has this music in his soul. He plays with a crispness and clarity that is vital in this repertoire. Even though the recordings were made almost two decades ago, they remain fresh and worth hearing. Adding to the enjoyment is a good set of notes, including personal comments by the performer about each piece.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased

Works Details

>Balakirev, Mily : Oriental Fantasy for Piano, Op. 18 "Islamey"
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1869

>Balakirev, Mily : Reminiscences on "A Life for the Czar", for piano (2nd version of Fantasy on Glinka's themes)
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1899

>Balakirev, Mily : Phantasiestück, for piano in D flat major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1903

>Balakirev, Mily : Nocturne for piano no 1 in B flat minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1856

>Balakirev, Mily : Nocturne for piano no 2 in B minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1901

>Balakirev, Mily : Nocturne for piano no 3 in D minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Balakirev, Mily : Capriccio for piano in D major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Balakirev, Mily : Sonata for Piano no 1 in B flat minor, Op. 5
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 24 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1855-1856

>Balakirev, Mily : Esquisses (Sonatina) for Piano in G major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1909

>Balakirev, Mily : Sonata for Piano [No. 2] in B flat minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 29 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1900-1905

>Glinka, Mikhail : Kamarinskaya (Russian scherzo), fantasy for orchestra, G. ii105
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1848

>Glinka, Mikhail : Say not that it grieves the heart (Ne govori, chto serdtsu), song for voice & piano, G. x335
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1855

>Chopin, Frédéric : Concerto for Piano no 1 in E minor, B 53/Op. 11 :: Romance
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1830

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Quartet for Strings no 13 in B flat major, Op. 130 :: Cavatina
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1825-1826

>Beethoven, Ludwig van : Quartet for Strings no 8 in E minor, Op. 59/2 :: Allegretto
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Written: 1806

>Zapolsky : Reverie
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 23 sec.

>Balakirev, Mily : The Wilderness (Pustïnya), song transcription for piano
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Berlioz, Hector : La Fuite en Egypte :: Introduction
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: by 1852

>Balakirev, Mily : Impromptu, for piano (after Chopin's Preludes in E flat minor and B major)
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1907

>Glinka, Mikhail : Capriccio brillante on the Jota Aragonesa (Spanish Overture no 1), for orchestra, G. ii3
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1845

>Balakirev, Mily : Valse di bravura, waltz for piano no 1 in G major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1900

>Balakirev, Mily : Valse mélancholique, waltz for piano no 2 in F minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1900

>Balakirev, Mily : Valse-impromptu, waltz for piano no 3 in D major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1901

>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 4 in B flat major ("Valse de concert")
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1902

>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 5 in D flat major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1903

>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 6 in F sharp minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1903

>Balakirev, Mily : Waltz for piano no 7 in G sharp minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1906

>Balakirev, Mily : Polka, for piano in F sharp minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1859

>Balakirev, Mily : Tarantella for piano in B major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1901

>Tan, Alexander Sergeyevich : Valse-Caprice, for piano no 1 in A flat major (arr. by Balakirev)
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1900

>Tan, Alexander Sergeyevich : Valse-Caprice, for piano no 2 in D flat major (arr. by Balakirev)
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1900

>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 1 in A flat major (2nd Version)
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 31 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1884-1885

>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 2 in C sharp minor (2nd Version)
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1884

>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 3 in B minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1886

>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 4 in G flat major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1886

>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 5 in D major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1900

>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 6 in A flat major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Balakirev, Mily : Mazurka for piano no 7 in E flat minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1906

>Balakirev, Mily : Scherzo for piano no 1 in B minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1856

>Balakirev, Mily : Scherzo for piano no 2 in B flat minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1900

>Balakirev, Mily : Scherzo for piano no 3 in F sharp major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1901

>Balakirev, Mily : Dumka, for piano in E flat minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1900

>Balakirev, Mily : Au jardin, étude-idylle for piano in D flat major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1884

>Balakirev, Mily : Gondellied, for piano in A minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1901

>Balakirev, Mily : Berceuse for piano in D flat major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1901

>Balakirev, Mily : The Lark
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: circa 1864

>Balakirev, Mily : Mélodie espagnole, for piano in D flat major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Balakirev, Mily : Sérénade espagnol, for piano (revision of Fandango-étude)
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Balakirev, Mily : La Fileuse, for piano in B flat minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1906

>Balakirev, Mily : Tyrolienne, for piano in F sharp major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902

>Balakirev, Mily : Chant du pêcheur, for piano in B minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1903

>Balakirev, Mily : Humoresque, for piano in D major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1903

>Balakirev, Mily : Rêverie, for piano in F major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1903

>Balakirev, Mily : Novelette, for piano in A major
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1906

>Balakirev, Mily : Toccata for piano in C sharp minor
  • Performer: Alexander Paley (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 17 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1902