1 800 222 6872

Dowland in Dublin / Michael Slattery, tenor; La Nef

Audio Samples

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Sleep wayward thoughts, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Now, O now I needs must part, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Behold a wonder here, for voice, lute & bass viol (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Fine knacks for ladies, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Say, Love if ever thou didst find, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Away with these self-loving lads, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come again, sweet love doth now invite, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come, heavy sleep, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae Pavan, for keyboard or lute (from "Lachrimae")
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Time stands still, for voice, lute & bass viol (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Me, me, and none but me, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Work(s)
>     Kemp's Jig / Mistress Winter's Jump / My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Clear or cloudy sweet as Aprill showring, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : O sweet woods, the delight of solitariness, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Lisle (Sir Robert Sidney, his galliard), for lute, P 38 (A Musica
>Dowland, John [Composer] : A Shepherd in a shade, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : His golden locks Time has to silver turned, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)

Album Summary

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Sleep wayward thoughts, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Now, O now I needs must part, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Behold a wonder here, for voice, lute & bass viol (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Fine knacks for ladies, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Say, Love if ever thou didst find, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Away with these self-loving lads, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come again, sweet love doth now invite, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come, heavy sleep, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae Pavan, for keyboard or lute (from "Lachrimae")
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Time stands still, for voice, lute & bass viol (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Me, me, and none but me, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Work(s)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : Clear or cloudy sweet as Aprill showring, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : O sweet woods, the delight of solitariness, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Lisle (Sir Robert Sidney, his galliard), for lute, P 38 (A Musica
>Dowland, John [Composer] : A Shepherd in a shade, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
>Dowland, John [Composer] : His golden locks Time has to silver turned, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
Performers Ensemble Composer

Notes & Reviews:

"To my loving countryman, Mr. John Forster the younger, merchant of Dublin, in Ireland." - In thus dedicating the song 'From Silent Night' in his collection A Pilgrim's Solace (1612), John Dowland reveals his possible Irish origins. Was Dowland, often considered the first great English composer, actually Irish? He may have belonged to an old Irish family, the O'Dolans, who settled in Dublin in the middle of the 16th century. Dowland is mainly known today for the expressiveness of his Ayres. In putting together this project, La Nef chosen to concentrate on the more light-hearted side of Dowland. Working closely with American tenor Michael Slattery, La Nef start to strip some of Dowland's Ayres of their complex, contrapuntal accompaniments, giving them a simple, Celtic flavor.

BBC Music Magazine, July 2012 ****
La Nef has pared down Dowland's complex accompaniments, aiming for a Celtic, folky feel. Dowland-lite it may be, but the recital is beautifully performed.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Église Saint-Augustin, Mirabel, Québec, Canada (09/2010).



Reviews

Not My (Irish Breakfast) Cup of Tea

A charming idea, which perhaps should have remained just that. Not that the performances arenít good or to be respected, itís just that the Gaelicalification of Dowland doesnít work terribly well. But of course these are matters of taste, and this record is not to mine.

Submitted on 03/08/12 by Due Fuss 
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Sleep wayward thoughts, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 36 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Now, O now I needs must part, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 38 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Behold a wonder here, for voice, lute & bass viol (Third Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 4 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1603

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Fine knacks for ladies, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: by 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Say, Love if ever thou didst find, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1603

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Away with these self-loving lads, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 1 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come again, sweet love doth now invite, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 3 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Come, heavy sleep, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1597

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Lachrimae Pavan, for keyboard or lute (from "Lachrimae")
  • Performer: Sylvain Bergeron (Lute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1612

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Time stands still, for voice, lute & bass viol (Third Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 3 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1603

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Me, me, and none but me, for 4 voices & lute (Third Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1603

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Work(s) :: Kemp's Jig / Mistress Winter's Jump / My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 3 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Dowland, John [Composer] : Clear or cloudy sweet as Aprill showring, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : O sweet woods, the delight of solitariness, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 2 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Lisle (Sir Robert Sidney, his galliard), for lute, P 38 (A Musica
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 1 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1610

>Dowland, John [Composer] : A Shepherd in a shade, for 4 voices & lute (Second Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 3 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1600

>Dowland, John [Composer] : His golden locks Time has to silver turned, for 4 voices & lute (First Book of Songs)
  • Performer: Michael Slattery
  • Ensemble: La Nef
  • Running Time: 4 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: 1597