1 800 222 6872

Eleanor Hovda Collection

Audio Samples

>Hovda, Eleanor : Onyx, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Song in High Grasses, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Snapdragon, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Leaning Into and Away, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Ariadne Music, for chamber ensemble
>Unspecified : Untitled CD-ROM Track
>Hovda, Eleanor : Coastal Traces
>     Tidepools 1, for ensemble
>     Tidepools 2, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Shenai Sky, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Record of an Ocean Cliff, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Crossings in a Mountain Dream, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Glacier Track, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Glosses/Glacier, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Beginnings, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Borealis Music, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Boundaries, for unspecified performers
>Hovda, Eleanor : Cymbalmusic
>     Centerflow/Trail 2, for bowed cymbals
>Hovda, Eleanor : Journey Music, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Lemniscates
>Hovda, Eleanor : Regions, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Jo Ha Kyu, for oboe
>Hovda, Eleanor : Ikima, for shakuhachi
>Hovda, Eleanor : Breathing, for flute
>Hovda, Eleanor : Music from "The Proclamation", for flute
>Hovda, Eleanor : Dancing in Place, for harp
>Hovda, Eleanor : Spring Music with Wind, for piano
>Hovda, Eleanor : 40 Million Gallons of Music, for 3 players

Album Summary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Onyx, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Song in High Grasses, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Snapdragon, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Leaning Into and Away, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Ariadne Music, for chamber ensemble
>Unspecified : Untitled CD-ROM Track
>Hovda, Eleanor : Coastal Traces
>Hovda, Eleanor : Shenai Sky, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Record of an Ocean Cliff, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Crossings in a Mountain Dream, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Glacier Track, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Glosses/Glacier, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Beginnings, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Borealis Music, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Boundaries, for unspecified performers
>Hovda, Eleanor : Cymbalmusic
>Hovda, Eleanor : Journey Music, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Lemniscates
>Hovda, Eleanor : Regions, for ensemble
>Hovda, Eleanor : Jo Ha Kyu, for oboe
>Hovda, Eleanor : Ikima, for shakuhachi
>Hovda, Eleanor : Breathing, for flute
>Hovda, Eleanor : Music from "The Proclamation", for flute
>Hovda, Eleanor : Dancing in Place, for harp
>Hovda, Eleanor : Spring Music with Wind, for piano
>Hovda, Eleanor : 40 Million Gallons of Music, for 3 players
Performers Conductor Ensembles Composers

Notes & Reviews:

There are any number of ways to describe artists who work at the margins: underrated, overlooked, a musician's musician. But if many slip into the cracks, there are a few who actively relish those cracks, a few who seek to split the rocks apart with inexorable innovation and provocatively big musical ears. Eleanor Hovda (1940 - 2009) was such an artist, and innova is honored to present The Eleanor Hovda Collection, the definitive 4CD archive of her mind-blowing works. [Eleanor has an] "exquisitely refined musical personality, overflowing imagination and constantly inventive craft." - Robert Carl of Fanfare Magazine

Fanfare Magazine, July / August 2012
A final word of thanks and recognition to Philip Blackburn and the entire Innova organization, as this is yet another of the incredibly important rescue operations they're performing for composers who might otherwise slip through the cracks (I think of their great Henry Brant series, for example). Every music library in America, for example, should have this collection. Bravo; it gives us all a little faith in lean times. And this is unquestionably on the next Want List.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Hovda, Eleanor : Onyx, for ensemble
  • Ensemble: PRISM Players
  • Running Time: 13 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Song in High Grasses, for ensemble
  • Ensemble: PRISM Players
  • Running Time: 12 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Snapdragon, for ensemble
  • Ensemble: PRISM Players
  • Running Time: 8 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Leaning Into and Away, for ensemble
  • Ensemble: PRISM Players
  • Running Time: 12 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Ariadne Music, for chamber ensemble
  • Ensemble: PRISM Players
  • Running Time: 14 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Written: 1984

>Unspecified : Untitled CD-ROM Track
  • Period Time: Modern

>Hovda, Eleanor : Coastal Traces :: Tidepools 1, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 11 min. 5 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Shenai Sky, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Record of an Ocean Cliff, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Crossings in a Mountain Dream, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Glacier Track, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 1 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Glosses/Glacier, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Beginnings, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 39 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Coastal Traces :: Tidepools 2, for ensemble
  • Performers: Eleanor Hovda (Piano); Jack Vees (Guitar)
  • Running Time: 8 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Borealis Music, for ensemble
  • Ensemble: Relâche
  • Running Time: 10 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Boundaries, for unspecified performers
  • Running Time: 7 min. 14 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Cymbalmusic :: Centerflow/Trail 2, for bowed cymbals
  • Running Time: 9 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Journey Music, for ensemble
  • Conductor: William McGlaughlin
  • Running Time: 8 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Lemniscates
  • Running Time: 17 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Written: 1988

>Hovda, Eleanor : Regions, for ensemble
  • Ensemble: California EAR Unit
  • Running Time: 12 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Unspecified : Untitled CD-ROM Track
  • Period Time: Modern

>Hovda, Eleanor : Jo Ha Kyu, for oboe
  • Performer: Libby Cleve (Oboe)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Ikima, for shakuhachi
  • Performer: Eleanor Hovda (Shakuhachi)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 40 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Breathing, for flute
  • Performer: Jan Weller (Flute)
  • Running Time: 13 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Music from "The Proclamation", for flute
  • Performer: David Gilbert (Flute)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 16 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Dancing in Place, for harp
  • Performer: Elizabeth Panzer (Harp)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Hovda, Eleanor : Spring Music with Wind, for piano
  • Performer: Lee Humphries (Piano)
  • Running Time: 11 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Written: 1973

>Hovda, Eleanor : 40 Million Gallons of Music, for 3 players
  • Running Time: 31 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Unspecified : Untitled CD-ROM Track
  • Period Time: Modern