- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. I: Introduction et danse religieuse $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. I: Les jeunes filles attirent Daphnis - Danse generale $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. I: Danse grotesque de Dorcon $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. I: Danse legere et gracieuse de Daphnis - Danse de Lyceion $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. I: Une lumiere irreelle enveloppe le paysage - Danse lente et mysterieuse $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. II: Danse suppliante de Chloe $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. III: Le decor semble se fondre $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. III: Angoisse, il cherche Chloe du regard $0.99 on iTunes
- Ravel — Daphnis et Chloe, Pt. III: Entre un groupe de jeunes filles - Danse generale $0.99 on iTunes
Notes & Reviews:
This is a brilliant recording with the chorus nicely placed, which creates an evocative distance to their recorded sound. This release is of a previously unavailable live concert recorded towards the end of Haitink's tenure as Principal Conductor of the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Haitink's live releases on the LPO label all meet with high critical acclaim. With very few complete recordings available, this release is well placed to become the standout interpretation in the catalogue.
The Arts Desk
This performance has lots to commend it. Haitink has always been good at large-scale structures; he's a musician who can knit the most discursive of Mahler symphonies into a satisfying whole. This expansive Daphnis reminds us of Ravel's description of the ballet as a "symphonie chorTographique". Recurring melodic gestures are subtly highlighted, and what can become a sequence of aimless impressionist doodles becomes gripping.
Recording information: Southbank Centre's Royal Festival Hall, London (11/06/1979).
Submitted on 04/11/12 by Dan Coombs
The Charles Dutoit Montreal Symphony version of Daphnis and Chloe on London from 1990 is very special. It's both my favourite version of this great music, and one of the outstanding CDs I own. But Ravel's masterpiece has many facets, and Bernard Haitink is an outstanding guide, whether the journey starts in London or in Chicago.
Submitted on 05/01/12 by Dean Frey
Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 / Eschenbach
Julius Rontgen: Chamber Works for Winds: Serenades 1 & 2; Trio Op. 86 / Linos Ensemble
Baroque Masterpieces for Harpsichord / Trevor Pinnock, harpsichord
Haydn: Complete Symphonies Vol. 16, Nos. 90 & 92 / Thomas Fey, Heidelberg Symphony Orchestra
Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 / Roger Norrington, RSO Stuttgart
The Soviet Experience, Vol. 2: String quartets by Shostakovich & his contemporaries / Pacifica Quartet
Brahms: A German Requiem / Katharine Fuge, soprano; Matthew Brook, baritone - Gardiner
Eric Whitacre: Water Night
Mahler: Symphony No. 1; Webern: Im Sommerwind / Roth
Works DetailsRavel, Maurice : Daphnis et Chloé
- Conductor: Bernard Haitink
- Ensemble: John Alldis Choir
- Notes: Composition written: 1909-12.
- Running Time: 8 min. 6 sec.
- Period Time: Modern
- Form: Ballet
- Written: 1909-1912