1 800 222 6872

Shostakovich, Glazunov, Tchaikovsky & Rachmaninov: Works for Viola & Piano / Gerard Causse, Brigitte Engerer

Audio Samples

>Glazunov, Alexander : Elegy for viola & piano in G minor, Op. 44
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Morceaux (6) for Piano, Op. 19
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Souvenir d'un lieu cher, Op. 42
>     3. Mélodie en mi bémol majeur
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Pieces (6) for Piano, Op. 51
>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Songs (14), Op. 34
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Sonata for Viola and Piano, Op. 147

Album Summary

>Glazunov, Alexander : Elegy for viola & piano in G minor, Op. 44
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Morceaux (6) for Piano, Op. 19
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Souvenir d'un lieu cher, Op. 42
>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Pieces (6) for Piano, Op. 51
>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Songs (14), Op. 34
>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Sonata for Viola and Piano, Op. 147
Performers Composers

Notes & Reviews:

From Tchaikovsky to Shostakovich, Russian music has often found its truest voice in elegies. With Glazunov and Tchaikovsky, they are recollections of childhood, or nostalgia for another world. While Rachmaninoff evokes purity in his Vocalise, in his Sonata, Shostakovich intones a swansong, a song of death. In the warm timbre of Gérard Caussé's viola and the generous sonority of Brigitte Engerer's piano, all the melancholy, tenderness and pain of Russia find eloquent expression.

American Record Guide, September / October 2012
I can heartily recommend this for the performances of the Russian romantics, but if you dare to hear the plaint of a condemned yet innocent soul that exists in hopeless dread, Bashmet and Richter are the men, like Dante's Virgil, who can lead you to him, all the way down this spiral of Hell crafted in sound.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Fondation Singer-Polignac, Paris, France (09/2011).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Glazunov, Alexander : Elegy for viola & piano in G minor, Op. 44
  • Performers: Brigitte Engerer (Piano); Gérard Caussé (Viola)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1893

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Morceaux (6) for Piano, Op. 19
  • Performers: Brigitte Engerer (Piano); Gérard Caussé (Viola)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1873

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Souvenir d'un lieu cher, Op. 42 :: 3. Mélodie en mi bémol majeur
  • Performers: Brigitte Engerer (Piano); Gérard Caussé (Viola)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1878

>Tchaikovsky, Peter Ilyich : Pieces (6) for Piano, Op. 51
  • Performers: Brigitte Engerer (Piano); Gérard Caussé (Viola)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Waltz
  • Written: 1882

>Rachmaninov, Sergei : Songs (14), Op. 34
  • Performers: Brigitte Engerer (Piano); Gérard Caussé (Viola)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Shostakovich, Dmitri : Sonata for Viola and Piano, Op. 147
  • Performers: Brigitte Engerer (Piano); Gérard Caussé (Viola)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1975.
  • Running Time: 34 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1975