Down Beat (12/94, p.64) - 4 Stars - Very Good - "...Konitz still sounds outstanding....he and his able accomplices construct a delightful outing that showcases his mature rhythmic sophistication and boundless melodic imagination..."
Full performer name: Lee Konitz Quartet/Kenny Barron.
Lee Konitz Quartet: Lee Konitz (alto saxophone); Kenny Barron (piano); James Genus (bass); Kenny Washington (drums).
Recorded at Sound On Sound Studio, New York, New York on October 5, 1992. Includes liner notes by Terry Martin.
Although never a poll winner, altoist Lee Konitz has had a more productive and consistently stimulating career than most of his contemporaries, never afraid to improvise fairly freely in his relaxed style. For this Evidence CD, Konitz digs into seven standards with an impressive rhythm section (pianist Kenny Barron, bassist James Genus and drummer Kenny Washington) and constantly comes up with interesting ideas and new twists. There are no phony disguises of familiar tunes with new titles on this date; just creative blowing. Konitz uplifts such often-overplayed material as "You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To," "Misty," "Alone Together," "Body and Soul" and "My Funny Valentine" without ever becoming predictable; Kenny Barron is in excellent form, too. This CD is recommended as a strong example of Lee Konitz's playing in the '90s. [Jazz Nocturne was reissued on an import-only CD in 1999.] ~ Scott Yanow
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- BargaLee (Orchestra BargaJazz)
- Soliloque (Imm, Paul)
- Music of Konitz (Theberge, Francois)
- Open Hearts (Bill Elgart)
- October Waltz with Lee Konitz (Wunsch, Frank)
- Play Rava (Rava, Enrico)
- Live at the Village Vanguard (Lee Konitz New Quartet)
- Knowing Lee [Digipak] (Liebman, David)
- Owl's Talk [Digipak] (Peacock, Gary)
- Owl's Talk (Peacock, Gary)
- Enfants Terribles: Live at the Blue Note [Digipak] (Peacock, Gary)
- Standarslee (Zambrini, Antonio)
- Alone & Together (Zambrini, Antonio)
- Costumes Are Mandatory (Iverson, Ethan)
- Hein Van de Geyn Meets Lee Konitz (Geyn, Hein Van De)
- First Meeting: Live in London, Vol. 1 [Digipak] (Janisch, Michael)
- Live at Laren (Lee Konitz Nonet)
- Konitz Meets Mulligan (Mulligan, Gerry)
- Conception (Mulligan, Gerry)
- Cross-Currents (Evans, Bill (Piano))