1 800 222 6872

A Hand for Holmboe - Deconstructions by Katrine Ring / Danish Nat'l Chamber Orchestra

Audio Samples

>Ring, Katrine : A Nice Cup of Tea, Please! (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 4)
>Ring, Katrine : Kaningrin (Rabbit Laughter) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 4)
>Ring, Katrine : Skynd dig! (Hurry Hurry!) (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 1)
>Ring, Katrine : Helikopter (Helicopter) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 8)
>Ring, Katrine : Fuglene (The Birds) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 2)
>Ring, Katrine : Undervejs (Ongoing) (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 7)
>Ring, Katrine : Bjornen kommer (The Bear is Coming) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concert
>Ring, Katrine : Avra for Laura (Na na na na na) (Deconstruction of the 3rd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto No
>Ring, Katrine : Vagn og Gunnar ryger pibe (Vagn & Gunnar Smoking Pipes)
>Ring, Katrine : Vagn og Gunnar ryger pibe (Vagn & Gunnar Smoking Pipes) (Basic jump style)
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 4, Op. 30
>     2. Andante un poco tranquillo
>     1. Allegro non troppo, ma con brio
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 1, Op. 17
>     2. Molto allegro
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 8, Op. 38 'Sinfonia Concertante'
>     1. Allegro con brio
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 2, Op. 20
>     1. Allegro con brio
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 7, Op. 37
>     2. Allegretto con moto
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 6, Op. 33
>     1. Andante - Allegro con brio
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 9, Op. 92
>     3. Finale. Allegro

Album Summary

>Ring, Katrine : A Nice Cup of Tea, Please! (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 4)
>Ring, Katrine : Kaningrin (Rabbit Laughter) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 4)
>Ring, Katrine : Skynd dig! (Hurry Hurry!) (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 1)
>Ring, Katrine : Helikopter (Helicopter) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 8)
>Ring, Katrine : Fuglene (The Birds) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 2)
>Ring, Katrine : Undervejs (Ongoing) (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 7)
>Ring, Katrine : Bjornen kommer (The Bear is Coming) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concert
>Ring, Katrine : Avra for Laura (Na na na na na) (Deconstruction of the 3rd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto No
>Ring, Katrine : Vagn og Gunnar ryger pibe (Vagn & Gunnar Smoking Pipes)
>Ring, Katrine : Vagn og Gunnar ryger pibe (Vagn & Gunnar Smoking Pipes) (Basic jump style)
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 4, Op. 30
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 1, Op. 17
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 8, Op. 38 'Sinfonia Concertante'
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 2, Op. 20
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 7, Op. 37
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 6, Op. 33
>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 9, Op. 92
Performers Conductor Ensembles Composers

Notes & Reviews:

The Danish DJ, composer and producer Katrine Ring is one of the few DJs at the international level who has specialized in classical music. On this album she remixes and deconstructs a number of chamber concertos by the composer Vagn Holmboe in a musical game of hide-and-seek that breathes new life into the works in a constant play of memory and recognition. The original recordings by the Danish National Chamber Orchestra and the conductor Hannu Koivula are included as a bonus CD. Katrine Ring has worked with classical music since 2006 as a member of the Danish fraction of the German DJ and clubbing concept Yellow Lounge. As a composer she works with real-world sounds, computer and effects for both concerts and audio productions.



Reviews

A Hand for Holmboe/Katrine Ring/Dacapo
We all hate giving bad reviews. Ms. Ring means well but this is a nightmare I had once. The record industry, in its death throws, decides itís a good idea to have an untrained DJ, remix orchestra works by a neo-romantic/classic Danish composer. Katrine Ring is that DJ who decides to tackle some of Vagn Holmboe chamber concertos (which mysteriously seem to be missing all the EQ high end). There is very little multitracking -itís almost like a 1950ís monophonic tape splicing instructional CD.

Here is the rundown:
1.A Nice Cup of Tea
Chopped up phrases of an orchestra piece interrupted by large Ďfurímatas by a cat purring and tea pouring. It canít get worse than this, can it?
Kaningrin
2.Four measure loop interrupted by brief varied string orchestral phrase. Please shoot me now. Then it stutters with some signal processing, some sound effects and laughing and clearing throats. Have you shot me yet?
Skynd digt
3. A two measure loop of piano going through a plugin with more interrupting orchestral parts. Elementary my dear Watson. Then a long cantabile passage of pianoónot hearing a lot of manipulation-or am I missing something? Then is goes into reverb. Here comes the 2 measure loop, then back to a primitive da capo. Why hasnít someone shot me yet?
4. Helikopter
This is a little more creatively mashed-up featuring a long granular pedal but very little signal-processing on anything-just samples of Holmboeís music overtop. The word Ďgeniusí springs to mind. Again another da capo. You canít make this stuff up.
5.Fuglene
Opens with warmed-over Hindemith interspersed by bird chirps. Is anyone making my coffin? This is more brief samples of the composer with some tiny effects then the da capo.
6.Undervejs
Another pedal, only this time in the form of a timpani loop, with a few excerpts floating by. Genius.

The remaining pieces, Bjornen, Avra for Laura, and Vagn og Gunnar smoking pipes
are more of the same---why donít you try and review them when you pick up the CD.
See how far you get.

Submitted on 07/24/12 by Mike Maguire 
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Ring, Katrine : A Nice Cup of Tea, Please! (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 4)
  • Ensemble: Danish National Chamber Orchestra
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Kaningrin (Rabbit Laughter) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 4)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Skynd dig! (Hurry Hurry!) (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 1)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 44 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Helikopter (Helicopter) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 8)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Fuglene (The Birds) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 2)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 49 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Undervejs (Ongoing) (Deconstruction of the 2nd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto no 7)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Bjornen kommer (The Bear is Coming) (Deconstruction of the 1st movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concert
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Avra for Laura (Na na na na na) (Deconstruction of the 3rd movement of Holmboe's Chamber Concerto No
  • Running Time: 3 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Vagn og Gunnar ryger pibe (Vagn & Gunnar Smoking Pipes)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Ring, Katrine : Vagn og Gunnar ryger pibe (Vagn & Gunnar Smoking Pipes) (Basic jump style)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 4, Op. 30 :: 2. Andante un poco tranquillo
  • Performers: Mikkel Futtrup (Violin); Anne Oland (Piano); Niels Ullner (Cello)
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 5 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1942-1945

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 4, Op. 30 :: 1. Allegro non troppo, ma con brio
  • Performers: Anne Oland (Piano); Niels Ullner (Cello); Mikkel Futtrup (Violin)
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 6 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1942-1945

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 1, Op. 17 :: 2. Molto allegro
  • Performer: Anne Oland (Piano)
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 6 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1939

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 8, Op. 38 'Sinfonia Concertante' :: 1. Allegro con brio
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 6 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1945

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 2, Op. 20 :: 1. Allegro con brio
  • Performers: Mikkel Futtrup (Violin); Eva Ostergaard (Flute)
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 10 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1940

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 7, Op. 37 :: 2. Allegretto con moto
  • Performer: Max Artved (Oboe)
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 5 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1944-1945

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 6, Op. 33 :: 1. Andante - Allegro con brio
  • Performer: Mikkel Futtrup (Violin)
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 7 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1943

>Holmboe, Vagn : Chamber Concerto no 9, Op. 92 :: 3. Finale. Allegro
  • Performers: Mikkel Futtrup (Violin); Tim Frederiksen (Viola)
  • Conductor: Hannu Koivula
  • Running Time: 7 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: 1968