1 800 222 6872

Bach Transcriptions

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 140 'Wachet auf'
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu Christ, chorale setting for 4 voices, BWV 253 (BC F35)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Ach bleib' bei uns, BWV 649
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Der Tag, der ist so freudenreich
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 2 in F major, BWV 1047
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Fantasie in G major, BWV 572
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Jesu, der du meine Seele, BWV 752
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Orgelbuchlein
>Berners, Lord (Tyrwhitt) : In dulci jubilo, transcription for piano (after Bach)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Wir glauben all an einen Gott (IV), chorale prelude for organ (by J. L. Krebs, not JSB), BWV 740
>Bliss, Sir A. [Composer] : Das alte Jahr vergangen ist, transcription for piano, F. 186 (after Bach, BWV 1091)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Komm, süsser Tod, komm, sel'ge Ruh'!, BWV 478
>Walton, William : Herzlich tut mich verlangen, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 727)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Partita in E major, BWV 1006a (arranged from Partita no 3 in E major for solo violin, BWV 1003)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Sonata in D minor, BWV 964 (arranged from Sonata no 2 in A minor for solo violin, BWV 1003)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 106 'Actus Tragicus'
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 68 'Also hat Gott die Welt geliebt'
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 22 'Jesus nahm zu sich die Zwolfe'
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier, BWV 731
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 155 'Mein Gott, wie lang, ach lange?' (Be Contented, O My Soul)
>Grainger, Percy : Blithe bells
>Saint-Saëns, Camille : Sinfonia from the cantata Wir danken dir Gott, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 29)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 3 'Ach Gott, wie manches Herzeleid'
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 35 'Geist und Seele wird verwirret' (Spirit and Soul Are Bewildered)
>Kempff, Wilhelm : Largo from Concerto in F minor, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach, BWV 1056)
>Kempff, Wilhelm : Ich ruf zu dir Herr Jesus Christus, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach, BWV 639)
>Kempff, Wilhelm : Es ist gewisslich an der Zeit, transcription for piano (after J.S. Bach, BWV307)
>Kempff, Wilhelm : Nun freut euch liebe Christen g'mein, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach BWV 734)
>Kempff, Wilhelm : Jesu bleibet meine Freude, transcription for piano (after J.S. Bach, BWV 147)
>Tausig, Carl : Wir glauben all an einen Gott, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 680)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 182 'Himmelskonig, sei willkommen' (Welcome, King of Heaven)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 42 'Am Abend aber desselbigen Sabbats' (On the Evening of That Same Sabbath)
>Alkan, Charles-Valentin : Deuxieme morceau de la 2e sonate de J.S. Bach (Siciliano), transcription for piano (after BWV 1031)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Suite for Cello no 6 in D major, BWV 1012
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Suite for Cello no 1 in G major, BWV 1007
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Toccatas (after Bach, BWV 564 & 565)
>Busoni, Ferruccio : Four Chorale Preludes
>Reger, Max [Composer] : Toccata and Fugue, transcription for piano in D minor (after J.S. Bach, BWV 565)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Orchestral Suite no 3 in D major, BWV 1068
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Orchestral Suite no 2 in B minor, BWV 1067
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Pastorale in F major, BWV 590
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for organ in G minor, BWV 535
>Gray, Antony : Letzte Stunde, brich herein (Final Hour, Break Now Upon Me), transcription for piano (after Bach, BW
>Weir, Judith : Roll Off the Ragged Rocks of Sin, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 132)
>Wild, Earl [Piano] : Hommage a Poulenc, for piano (after the Sarabande from J.S. Bach's Partita no 1)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
>Blake, Michael : BWV Fragments, for piano
>Blake, Michael : Oh Clare, for piano (after Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring)
>Finnissy, Michael : Joh. Seb. Bach, for piano
>Millward, Frank : The Crucifixion Blues, for piano (after the Crucifixus from Bach's Mass in B minor)
>Toovey, Andrew : Cantus firmus, for piano
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244
>Schultz, Andrew : Sleepers Wake - Karalananga, for piano
>Jackson, Gabriel : In dulci jubilo (In Sweet Joy), carillon for piano (after Bach)
Performer Composers

Notes & Reviews:

MusicWeb International, 21st June 2013
This set represents a valuable compendium of Bach transcriptions, past and present, in performances that are largely authoritative, but sometimes just a little detached.

Sunday Times, 20th October 2013
There have been many recordings of piano arrangements of Bach, but this set stands out for its diversity...Andrew Toovey's Cantus Firmus turns Bach into boogie-woogie. Michael Finnissy's Joh. Seb. Bach subjects him to a "melting watch"effect.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 140 'Wachet auf' :: Chorus. Wachet auf (Sleepers, Wake)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 11/25/1731

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Ach bleib bei uns, Herr Jesu Christ, chorale setting for 4 voices, BWV 253 (BC F35)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 8 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1751

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Ach bleib' bei uns, BWV 649
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1748-1749

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Der Tag, der ist so freudenreich
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 51 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1713-1715

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Brandenburg Concerto no 2 in F major, BWV 1047 :: 2. Andante
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Orchestral
  • Written: 03/24/1721

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Fantasie in G major, BWV 572
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1712

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Jesu, der du meine Seele, BWV 752
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1748-1749

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Orgelbüchlein
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1713-1715

>Berners, Lord (Tyrwhitt) : In dulci jubilo, transcription for piano (after Bach)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Wir glauben all an einen Gott (IV), chorale prelude for organ (by J. L. Krebs, not JSB), BWV 740
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1781

>Bliss, Sir A. [Composer] : Das alte Jahr vergangen ist, transcription for piano, F. 186 (after Bach, BWV 1091)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1932

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Komm, süsser Tod, komm, sel'ge Ruh'!, BWV 478
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1736

>Walton, William : Herzlich tut mich verlangen, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 727)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1931

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Partita in E major, BWV 1006a (arranged from Partita no 3 in E major for solo violin, BWV 1003) :: 3.
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 54 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1736-1737

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Sonata in D minor, BWV 964 (arranged from Sonata no 2 in A minor for solo violin, BWV 1003) :: 3. An
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1754

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 106 'Actus Tragicus' :: Sonatina
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1707-1708

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 68 'Also hat Gott die Welt geliebt' :: Aria. Mein gläubiges Herze (My Heart Ever Faithful
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 05/21/1725

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 22 'Jesus nahm zu sich die Zwölfe' :: Chorale. Ertödt uns durch dein' Güte (Sanctify Us B
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 7 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 02/07/1723

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier, BWV 731
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1751

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 155 'Mein Gott, wie lang, ach lange?' (Be Contented, O My Soul) :: 3. Recitativo. So sei,
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 01/19/1716

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 155 'Mein Gott, wie lang, ach lange?' (Be Contented, O My Soul) :: 4. Aria. Wirf, mein He
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 01/19/1716

>Grainger, Percy : Blithe bells
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Eugene Goossens Hall of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Ultimo Centre, Sydney (2003-07-15_2003-07-17&2003-)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1930

>Camille Saint-Saëns (1835 - 1921) : Sinfonia from the cantata Wir danken dir Gott, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 29)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 3 'Ach Gott, wie manches Herzeleid' :: Opening Chorus and Recitative. 'Wie schwerlich läs
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 01/14/1725

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 35 'Geist und Seele wird verwirret' (Spirit and Soul Are Bewildered) :: Part 2. Sinfonia
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 37 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 09/08/1726

>Kempff, Wilhelm : Largo from Concerto in F minor, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach, BWV 1056)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Concerto
  • Written: by 1935

>Kempff, Wilhelm : Ich ruf zu dir Herr Jesus Christus, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach, BWV 639)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: by 1954

>Kempff, Wilhelm : Es ist gewisslich an der Zeit, transcription for piano (after J.S. Bach, BWV307)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: by 1975

>Kempff, Wilhelm : Nun freut euch liebe Christen g'mein, transcription for piano (after J. S. Bach BWV 734)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: by 1953

>Kempff, Wilhelm : Jesu bleibet meine Freude, transcription for piano (after J.S. Bach, BWV 147)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 58 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: by 1945

>Tausig, Carl : Wir glauben all an einen Gott, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 680)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 182 'Himmelskönig, sei willkommen' (Welcome, King of Heaven) :: Sonata. Grave. Adagio
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 03/25/1714

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata, BWV 42 'Am Abend aber desselbigen Sabbats' (On the Evening of That Same Sabbath) :: Sinfonia
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 9 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Cantata/Oratorio
  • Written: 04/08/1725

>Alkan, Charles-Valentin : Deuxième morceau de la 2e sonate de J.S. Bach (Siciliano), transcription for piano (after BWV 1031)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Written: 1866

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Suite for Cello no 6 in D major, BWV 1012 :: 5. Gavotte 1 & 2
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 59 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1720

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Suite for Cello no 1 in G major, BWV 1007 :: 5. Minuetto 1 & 2
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1720

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Toccatas (after Bach, BWV 564 & 565) :: Toccata in C major, BWV 564
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 11 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 06/1899

>Busoni, Ferruccio : Four Chorale Preludes
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Notes: Composition written: 1898.
  • Running Time: 5 min. 46 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic
  • Written: 1898

>Reger, Max [Composer] : Toccata and Fugue, transcription for piano in D minor (after J.S. Bach, BWV 565)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Post Romantic

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Orchestral Suite no 3 in D major, BWV 1068 :: 2. Air
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 13 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1731

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Orchestral Suite no 2 in B minor, BWV 1067 :: 6. Menuet
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 26 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1738-1739

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Orchestral Suite no 2 in B minor, BWV 1067 :: 7. Badinerie
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1738-1739

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Pastorale in F major, BWV 590
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 12 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: after 1720

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue, for organ in G minor, BWV 535
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 9 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1705

>Gray, Antony : Letzte Stunde, brich herein (Final Hour, Break Now Upon Me), transcription for piano (after Bach, BW
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 14 sec.

>Weir, Judith : Roll Off the Ragged Rocks of Sin, transcription for piano (after Bach, BWV 132)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Wild, Earl [Piano] : Hommage à Poulenc, for piano (after the Sarabande from J.S. Bach's Partita no 1)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 57 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1995

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 45 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Blake, Michael : BWV Fragments, for piano
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)

>Blake, Michael : Oh Clare, for piano (after Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 24 sec.

>Finnissy, Michael : Joh. Seb. Bach, for piano
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Millward, Frank : The Crucifixion Blues, for piano (after the Crucifixus from Bach's Mass in B minor)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 34 sec.

>Toovey, Andrew : Cantus firmus, for piano
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : St. Matthew Passion, BWV 244 :: Chorale. O Haupt voll Blut und Wunden (O Sacred Head, Sore Wounded)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1736

>Schultz, Andrew : Sleepers Wake - Karalananga, for piano
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 33 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary
  • Written: 2003

>Jackson, Gabriel : In dulci jubilo (In Sweet Joy), carillon for piano (after Bach)
  • Performer: Antony Gray (Piano)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Contemporary