1 800 222 6872

Bach: Transcriptions / Ensemble Contraste

Album Summary

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland, BWV 659
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 1124
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata no 12 "Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen", BWV 12 (BC A68)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied, motet for chorus, BWV 225 (BC C1)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in E major, BWV 854 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Musical Offering, BWV 1079
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Partita for Keyboard no 2 in C minor, BWV 826
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : La Passion selon Saint Matthieu, BWV 244
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, BWV 582
>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Bist du bei mir, aria arranged for voice & continuo (after Gottfried Stölzel), BWV 508
Performers Ensemble Composer

Notes & Reviews:

Transcribing his compositions for different forces was probably easy enough for Johann Sebastian Bach. The source of the sound didn't matter, because for the master of Leipzig, what counted were the thought and the intellect. The form of the work, the tonality and the melodic contours were more important than the instruments involved. In an era concerned with exchanges between the different European schools, musicians were allowed (even expected) to copy, transcribe and adapt the work of their contemporaries. Over the centuries, Busoni, Siloti, Kempff and Kurtág adapted Bach's organ, orchestral and choral music for solo piano. On this chamber music recording, the Ensemble Contraste presents its own vision that never betrays Bach's conception but allows the arabesques, lyricism, rigorous construction and complex polyphony to shine through.

American Record Guide, July/August 2013
These are rescorings of ten pieces by Bach arranged for string trio, piano quintet, viola and piano, and piano solo by Johan Farjot, Karol Beffa, and Arnaud Thorette, all members of Ensemble Contraste. They are all scored with sensitivity and performed with taste. Six of the pieces were originally for organ or for voices and organ. The C minor Passacaglia and Fugue played by a piano quintet is pretty, and it clarifies the voices nicely, as does the same scoring playing 'Weinen, Klagen', and 'Singet dem Herrn'.

Notes & Reviews:

Recording information: Fondation Singer-Polignac (Atelier Cortambert) (10/2011).



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review

Works Details

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland, BWV 659
  • Ensemble: Ensemble Contraste
  • Running Time: 4 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: by 1723

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ, BWV 1124
  • Performers: Arnaud Thorette (Violin); Maria Mosconi (Viola); Antoine Pierlot (Cello)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 34 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1713-1715

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Cantata no 12 "Weinen, Klagen, Sorgen, Zagen", BWV 12 (BC A68)
  • Ensemble: Ensemble Contraste
  • Running Time: 7 min. 28 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 04/22/1714

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied, motet for chorus, BWV 225 (BC C1)
  • Ensemble: Ensemble Contraste
  • Running Time: 4 min. 19 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1726-1727

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Prelude and Fugue in E major, BWV 854 (The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1)
  • Ensemble: Ensemble Contraste
  • Running Time: 2 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1722

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Musical Offering, BWV 1079
  • Ensemble: Ensemble Contraste
  • Running Time: 6 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 05/1747-07/1747

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Partita for Keyboard no 2 in C minor, BWV 826
  • Performers: Arnaud Thorette (Violin); Maria Mosconi (Viola); Antoine Pierlot (Cello)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 4 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1726-1731

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : La Passion selon Saint Matthieu, BWV 244 :: Aria. Erbarme dich
  • Performer: Karol Beffa (Piano)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 22 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1736

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, BWV 582
  • Ensemble: Ensemble Contraste
  • Running Time: 11 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Written: 1708-1712

>Bach, Johann Sebastian : Bist du bei mir, aria arranged for voice & continuo (after Gottfried Stölzel), BWV 508
  • Performers: Johan Farjot (Piano); Maria Mosconi (Viola)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Baroque
  • Form: Vocal
  • Written: 1722-1725