- True Love to Last (with J.D. Crowe, Don Rigsby, Stuart Duncan & Dennis Crouch) $0.99 on iTunes
- Ragged Old Dream (with Keith Little, Mike Witcher, Jason Carter, Chris Henry & Paul Knight) $0.99 on iTunes
- Doc Watson Morning (with Bryan Sutton) $0.99 on iTunes
- Drop the Bone (with Ronnie McCoury, Robbie McCoury, Alan Bartram & Mike Cleveland) $0.99 on iTunes
- Letter from Beyond (with Del McCoury, Don Rigsby, Buddy Spicher, Stuart Duncan & Dennis Crouch) $0.99 on iTunes
- O Freedom (with Keith Little, Mike Witcher, Jason Carter, Chris Henry & Paul Knight) $0.99 on iTunes
Album Remarks & Appraisals:
On The Old School, bluegrass legend Rowan delves further into his legacy as one of Bill Monroe's Bluegrass Boys with some of the first generation players who really know "the old school" while welcoming younger players considered to be the torchbearers for the future of bluegrass music. The album includes 11 Rowan originals and a rework of "Freedom Riders," the Civil Rights anthem made popular by Odetta. Rhythms Magazine wrote, "Rowan proves himself capable of composing timeless songs and delivering them with conviction and authenticity."
Audio Mixer: Jim Cooley .
Recording information: Compass Sound Studio, Nashville, TN.
Photographers: Mike Witcher; Garry West.
Peter Rowan was a member of Bill Monroe's legendary Blue Grass Boys as a vocalist and guitarist from 1964 to 1967, and he draws on that experience for The Old School, bringing together surviving members of the Blue Grass Boys with a new generation of bluegrass players who follow in the footsteps of that groundbreaking band for a set of originals (the one cover is a version of Odetta's "O Freedom") that fit in the classic Monroe style, including a touching tribute to the late Doc Watson called "Doc Watson Morning." ~ Steve Leggett