Notes & Reviews:
- The complete Jephtha HWV 70, performed on period instruments according to the traditions of the time
- Jephta was Handel's last work of great dimensions.
- A 2012 concert recording from the church of the German UNESCO World Heritage Site Maulbronn Monastery.
- Prof. Jurgen Budday is conductor, director of church music, music teacher and artistic director of Maulbronn Abbey.
American Record Guide, May/June 2014
This is the latest in a long series of Handel oratorios that Budday has recorded (in public performances) for K&K's "Maulbronn Monastery Edition". Above all, tenor Hulett places very honorably. The chorus is particularly energetic and expressive this time. I have some reservations about the recorded sound. It is extraordinarily vivid, to be sure, with individual singers and even sections of the chorus, very precisely placed in the sonic spread. Ten recordings (in English) over the years, and so many of them of value - that's a good showing for Handel's profoundly moving, valedictory masterpiece.
Recording information: Maulbronn Monastery (2013).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Music from the Peterhouse Partbooks, vol. 2 / Ludford: Missa Regnum mundi; Pygott: Salve regina / Blue Heron, Scott Metcalfe, director
American Grace - Piano music from Steven Mackey and John Adams / Orli Shaham, Jon Kimura Parker
Hindemith: Complete Viola Works, Vol. 2 - Sonatas for Viola & Piano and Solo Viola / Tabea Zimmermann, viola; Thomas Hoppe, piano
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis / Jennifer Johnson, James Gilchrist, Lucy Crowe and Matthew Rose. Gardiner
Tchaikovsky: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 / Denis Matsuev, piano; Mariinsky SO, Gergiev
Brahms & Mozart: Clarinet Quintets / Maximiliano Martin, clarinet
Sonic Philosophy: Colour and Effect - works by Part; Messiaen, Webern, Takemitsu, Marmen, Economou / Hugo Ticciati, violin; Henrick Mawe, piano
Chamber music of Austin Jaquith (b.1980): 'The One and the Many' - String Sextet; String Quartet No. 2; Brass Quintet
Claude Debussy: Estampes, Images Book I & II; 12 Etudes / Craig Sheppard, piano
Works DetailsHandel, George Frideric : Jephtha
- Conductor: Jürgen Budday
- Ensemble: Maulbronn Chamber Choir
- Notes: Composition written: 1752.
- Running Time: 141 min. 12 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Form: Cantata/Oratorio
- Written: 1752