- Beethoven — Mass in D Major, Op. 123, "Missa Solemnis": Kyrie. Assai sostenuto (Mit Andacht)
- Beethoven — Mass in D Major, Op. 123, "Missa Solemnis": Gloria. Allegro vivace
- Beethoven — Mass in D Major, Op. 123, "Missa Solemnis": Credo. Allegro ma non troppo
- Beethoven — Mass in D Major, Op. 123, "Missa Solemnis": Sanctus. Adagio (Mit Andacht)
- Beethoven — Mass in D Major, Op. 123, "Missa Solemnis": Agnus Dei. Adagio
Notes & Reviews:
American Record Guide, November/December 2014
This remarkable performance comes from a 1982 concert in the Royal Albert Hall; it was part of the BBC Proms in Solti's final season as principal conductor of the LPO. Indeed, it is Solti who is able to bring the last ounce of strength and energy to the entire piece. I am thinking here mainly of the Edinburgh Chorus, which is incredibly loud and powerful from beginning to end. The soloists are all satisfactory. It is certainly listenable.
The Missa Solemnis is one of Beethoven's great works; nothing he composed surpasses it for scale, sincerity or sheer vision. The 1982 BBC Proms live recording features an outstanding array of soloists. Sir Georg Solti recorded the Missa Solemnis twice, once with the Chicago Symphony in 1978 and later a live recording with the Berlin Philharmonic, both only available digitally or as part of boxed sets. Mr. Solti was one of the most influential and most recorded 20th century conductors.Notes & Reviews:
Recording information: Royal Albert Hall, London (09/10/1982).
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
J.S. Bach: Sacred Choral Works - Christmas Oratorio; St. Matthew Passion; St. John Passion; Mass in B minor / Helmuth Rilling [10 CDs]
Zdenek Fibich: Symphonic Poems - Othello, Zaboj, Slavoj, Ludek, Toman and the Wood Nymph, The Tempest, Spring / Czech Nat'l SO
Berlioz: Harold in Italy; Reverie et Caprice; Roman Carnival; Benvenuto Cellini / Lise Berthaud, viola; Giovanni Radivo, violin
Muzio Clementi (1752-1832): Piano Concerto, Op. 33/3; Symphonies Op. 18/1 & 2 / Bruno Canino, piano
The Romantic Violin Concerto Vol. 16: Busoni: Violin Concerto Op. 35a; Strauss: Violin Concerto Op. 8 / Tanja Becker-Bender, violin
Howells: Stabat Mater / Benjamin Hulett, tenor; Alison Hill, soprano; The Bach Choir; Bournemouth SO; Hill
Bartok: Kossuth, symphonic poem; Two Portraits, Op. 5; Suite No. 1, Op. 3 / Michael Ludwig, violin. JoAnn Falletta, Buffalo PO
Brahms: Violin Sonatas Opp. 78, 100 & 108 / Kristof Barati, violin; Klara Wurtz, piano
Scriabin: The Complete Préludes for Piano, Vol. 2 / Piers Lane, piano
Works DetailsBeethoven, Ludwig van : Missa solemnis in D major, Op. 123
- Performers: Helen Donath; Siegfried Jerusalem (Tenor); Doris Soffel (Alto); Hans Sotin (Bass)
- Conductor: Georg Solti
- Ensemble: London Philharmonic Orchestra
- Running Time: 79 min. 16 sec.
- Period Time: Classical
- Form: Choral
- Written: 1819-1823
- Studio/Live: Live