- His Majestys Sagbutts and Cornetts (Cornet)
- Sandro Naglia (Tenor)
- Mark Tucker
- Michael Chance (Countertenor)
- Alastair Miles
- Ann Monoyios (Soprano)
- Nigel Robson (Tenor)
- Bryn Terfel
Notes & Reviews:
Gramophone Classical Music Guide
This large-scale live recording (Gardiner's second) was made in Venice's St Mark's Basilica. It captures the drama as well as the ceremonial aspect of the work, despite sometimes cloudy recorded sound (See Archiv 073 035-9 for the spectacular DVD).
Gardiner's second [recording of the Vespers], spectacularly recorded live in St Mark's, has a punchy choral sound, near-operatic solo singing (Bryn Terfel and Alistair Miles are among the basses), emphatic enunciation, big contrasts and deliberate exploitation of the building's spaces. Its outright theatricality sets it apart from other performances.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsMonteverdi, Claudio : Vespro della Beata Vergine
- Performers: Nigel Robson (Tenor); Bryn Terfel; His Majestys Sagbutts and Cornetts (Cornet); Sandro Naglia (Tenor); Mark Tucker; Michael Chance (Countertenor); Alastair Miles; Ann Monoyios (Soprano)
- Conductor: John Gardiner
- Ensemble: English Baroque Soloists
- Running Time: 102 min. 56 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Form: Choral
- Written: 1610