- Gudrun Sieber (Soprano)
- Peter Schreier (Tenor)
- Kurt Rydl (Bass)
- Ann Murray (Mezzo Soprano)
- Edda Moser (Soprano)
- Ingrid Mayr (Soprano)
- Horst Hiestermann (Tenor)
- Zdislawa Donat (Soprano)
- Ileana Cotrubas (Soprano)
- Christian Boesch (Baritone)
Notes & Reviews:
The Magic Flute had been the sensation of the season in 1978. It received enormous and unanimous approval, endless applause on the night and brought on an unusual state of accord in the international press, where enthusiastic reviews soon gave the staging legendary status. Christian Boesch became one of the progenitors of this movement when he created a new version of Mozart's popular opera, in which Papageno becomes the storyteller. He worked with director Jean-Pierre Ponnelle to develop a concept that presents Mozart's wondrous mystery play - based on the Salzburg Festival production 1978 - in such a way that it encourages young audiences to relate to the genre and exposes them to the magic inherent in this particular work. This DVD captures the incomparable atmosphere of the first ever staging of The Magic Flute for Children.
"Delivered with energy and great expertise" -BBC Music***
American Record Guide
Christian Boesch... is charming as he explains what the children are about to see and hear, the music as well as the story... the musical numbers are sung very well.
Run Time: 106 min.
Picture Format: NTSC, 4:3, Color
Sound Format(s): LPCM Stereo,
Subtitles: English, German, French
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsMozart, Wolfgang Amadeus : Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute), K. 620
- Performers: Gudrun Sieber (Soprano); Peter Schreier (Tenor); Kurt Rydl (Bass); Ann Murray (Mezzo Soprano); Edda Moser (Soprano); Ingrid Mayr (Soprano); Horst Hiestermann (Tenor); Zdislawa Donat (Soprano); Ileana Cotrubas (Soprano); Christian Boesch (Baritone)
- Conductor: James Levine
- Ensemble: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
- Period Time: Classical
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1791