- Christopher Booth-Jones (Baritone)
- Lesley Garrett (Soprano)
- Valerie Masterson (Soprano)
- Ann Murray (Mezzo Soprano)
- Jean Rigby (Mezzo Soprano)
- Christopher Robson (Countertenor)
Notes & Reviews:
Nicholas Hytner's highly innovative production of Handel's comic opera won the coveted Laurence Olivier Opera Award. This live recording from the English National Opera stars Lesley Garrett and Ann Murray as Xerxes, whose love for Romilda, sung by Valerie Masterson, sets off a series of love intrigues. Sir Charles Mackerras conducts the English National Opera orchestra in an edition prepared by himself.
It is very difficult to obtain a recording of a Handel opera that is not updated in some way. This classic excellently sung production, conducted by Sir Charles Mackerras, manages to break this mould and portray the work in a meaningful natural context and staging.
Run Time: 186 min.
Picture Format: NTSC, 16:9, Color
Sound Format(s): LPCM Stereo,
Subtitles: German, French, English, Italian, Dutch, Greek
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsHandel, George Frideric : Xerxes, HWV 40
- Performers: Christopher Booth-Jones (Baritone); Lesley Garrett (Soprano); Valerie Masterson (Soprano); Ann Murray (Mezzo Soprano); Jean Rigby (Mezzo Soprano); Christopher Robson (Countertenor)
- Conductor: Charles Mackerras
- Ensemble: English National Opera Chorus
- Period Time: Baroque
- Written: 1738