- David James (Countertenor)
- Sarah Walker (Mezzo-soprano)
- Christopher Booth-Jones (Baritone)
- John Tomlinson (Bass)
- Noel Davies (Harpsichord)
- Valerie Masterson (Soprano)
- Janet Baker (Mezzo-soprano)
- James Bowman (Countertenor)
- Della Jones (Mezzo Soprano)
Notes & Reviews:
"Seemingly stuffy 'opera seria' format was no hindrance to Handel in creating works rich in human drama and musical invention...A highly intelligent, singable English translation by Brian Trowell often comes across very clearly. It certainly works very well for Janet Baker, who shapes her words with care and imagination...most definitely acquire this Chandos set, which comes with good notes and the English text. It makes a strong case for Handel opera as ensemble theater." --Mark, ARG
Gramophone Classical Music Guide
This opera was a personal triumph for Dame Janet. As Caesar, she arms the voice with an impregnable firmness, outgoing and adventurous.
Valerie Masterson shares the honours with Dame Janet, a Cleopatra whose bright voice gains humanity through ordeal. The tinkle of surface- wear clears delightfully in her later arias, sung with a pure tone and high accomplishment.
As a total production, Julius Caesar was an outstanding achievement in ENO's history.
Strongly cast, it had a noble Cornelia in Sarah Walker, a high-spirited Sesto in Della Jones, and in James Bowman a Ptolemy whose only fault was that his voice lacked meanness of timbre appropriate to the odious character. John Tomlinson's massive bass also commands attention.
Mackerras's conducting is impeccable and the opera is given in clear, creditable English.
(See next review for the video equivalent.)
the ravishing accompaniments to the two big Cleopatra arias amply justify the use by the excellent ENO orchestra of modern rather than period instruments...The full, vivid studio sound makes this one of the very finest of the invaluable series of ENO opera recordings in English.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Works DetailsHandel, George Frideric : Giulio Cesare
- Performers: David James (Countertenor); Sarah Walker (Mezzo-soprano); Christopher Booth-Jones (Baritone); John Tomlinson (Bass); Noel Davies (Harpsichord); Valerie Masterson (Soprano); Janet Baker (Mezzo-soprano); James Bowman (Countertenor); Della Jones (Mezzo Soprano)
- Conductor: Charles Mackerras
- Ensemble: English National Opera Orchestra
- Notes: EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England (08/01/1984-08/07/1984)
- Running Time: 3 min. 3 sec.
- Period Time: Baroque
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1724