- Ettore Bastianini (Baritone)
- Maria Callas (Voice)
- Virgilio Carbonari (Baritone)
- Franco Corelli (Tenor)
- Piero de Palma (Tenor)
- Giuseppe Morresi (Bass Baritone)
- Rinaldo Pelizzoni (Voice)
- Nicola Zaccaria (Bass)
Notes & Reviews:
Callas and Corelli are together again for another operatic rarity. Donizetti's Poliuto, a work which suffered obscurity not because of uninteresting music but because of the censor's pen - the story about martyrs in early Christian times was too controversial for those who thought staging religious stories was blasphemous. Poliuto actually contains some of Donizetti's most exciting music, especially the thrilling final duet between Calllas and Corelli.
Callas and Corelli are together again for another operatic rarity, which suffered obscurity due to the censor's pen. Live performance, December 7, 1960.
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Berlioz: La Marseillaise, etc / Zinman, Baltimore SO
Schoenberg: Piano & Violin Concertos; Berg: Violin Concerto
Recitals - Giulietta Simionato Vol 2 - Arias & Scenes
Bernstein Century - Copland: Symphony no 3, etc / Biggs
Gilbert and Sullivan: Mikado /Mackerras, Rolfe-Johnson et al
Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor / Renata Scotto, Giuseppe di Stefano, Ettore Bastianini, et al. / La Scala, Milan; Nino Sanzogno
Tchaikovsky: 8 Symphonies, including 'Manfred'; 'Symphony of Life' / Fedoseyev; Kogan; Skripka; Ivanov
Works DetailsDonizetti, Gaetano : Poliuto, opera
- Performers: Ettore Bastianini (Baritone); Maria Callas (Voice); Virgilio Carbonari (Baritone); Franco Corelli (Tenor); Piero de Palma (Tenor); Giuseppe Morresi (Bass Baritone); Rinaldo Pelizzoni (Voice); Nicola Zaccaria (Bass)
- Conductor: Antonino Votto
- Ensemble: Milan Teatro alla Scala Chorus
- Running Time: 4 min. 57 sec.
- Period Time: Romantic
- Form: Opera/Operetta
- Written: 1838