1 800 222 6872

Bryn Terfel - We'll Keep a Welcome

Audio Samples

>James, Evan : Hen wlad fy nhadau (National Anthem, Wales)
>Welsh Traditional : Ar lan y mor (On the sea-shore)
>Welsh Traditional : Dafydd y garreg wen (David of the White Rock), folk song
>Welsh Traditional : Ymdaith Gwyr Harlech (The Men of Harlech)
>Williams, W.S. Gwynn : My little Welsh Home, song
>Hughes, John (I) : Calon lan (A pure heart)
>Welsh Traditional : Suo Gan (Lullaby), song
>Welsh Traditional : Sosban Fach (Little Saucepan)
>Lewis, Idris : Bugail Aberdyfi (The shepherd of Aberdovey)
>Hughes, John (I) : Crw rhondda, Welsh hymn (a.k.a. "Wele'n sefyll rhwng y myrtwydd")
>Parry, Joseph : Myfanwy
>Richards, David : Cymru fach
>Welsh Traditional : Ar Hyd y Nos (All Through the Night), folk song
>Troyte, A.H.D. : Sunset Poem (Eli Jenkins' Prayer)
>Jones, Mai : We'll Keep a Welcome
>Hughes, Arwel : Tydi A Roddaist for chorus & orchestra
>Jones, T. Gwynn : Diolch I'r Ior (Thank You My Lord)
>Williams, Owen : Sul y Blodau (Palm Sunday)
>Pritchard, Richard Huw : Hyfrydol
>Welsh Traditional : Hiraeth (Longing)

Album Summary

>James, Evan : Hen wlad fy nhadau (National Anthem, Wales)
>Welsh Traditional : Ar lan y mor (On the sea-shore)
>Welsh Traditional : Dafydd y garreg wen (David of the White Rock), folk song
>Welsh Traditional : Ymdaith Gwyr Harlech (The Men of Harlech)
>Williams, W.S. Gwynn : My little Welsh Home, song
>Hughes, John (I) : Calon lan (A pure heart)
>Welsh Traditional : Suo Gan (Lullaby), song
>Welsh Traditional : Sosban Fach (Little Saucepan)
>Lewis, Idris : Bugail Aberdyfi (The shepherd of Aberdovey)
>Hughes, John (I) : Crw rhondda, Welsh hymn (a.k.a. "Wele'n sefyll rhwng y myrtwydd")
>Parry, Joseph : Myfanwy
>Richards, David : Cymru fach
>Welsh Traditional : Ar Hyd y Nos (All Through the Night), folk song
>Troyte, A.H.D. : Sunset Poem (Eli Jenkins' Prayer)
>Jones, Mai : We'll Keep a Welcome
>Hughes, Arwel : Tydi A Roddaist for chorus & orchestra
>Jones, T. Gwynn : Diolch I'r Ior (Thank You My Lord)
>Williams, Owen : Sul y Blodau (Palm Sunday)
>Pritchard, Richard Huw : Hyfrydol
>Welsh Traditional : Hiraeth (Longing)
Performers Conductor Ensembles Composers

Notes & Reviews:

Welshman Bryn Terfel has long been a musical ambassador for Wales, and likes to include Welsh songs in his recitals throughout the world. This new album from DG presents Terfel in the music that is closest to his heart, accompanied by the Orchestra of Welsh National Opera. This is an album of appealing songs, some familiar, many not. Most of all, it is an album of glorious singing!

Notes & Reviews:

This album was nominated for the 2004 Grammy award for "Best Classical Crossover Album."

Bigger-than-life bass-baritone Bryn Terfel heads a seeming cast of thousands in this no-holds-barred celebration of Welsh song. There are gentle lullabies and nostalgic songs of a missed homeland as well as rip-roaring patriotic numbers. The instrumentation ranges from solo harp, as in the lovely 'Dafydd y Garreg Wen' ('David of the White Rock') to full orchestra and multiple choruses, as in 'Calon lan' ('A Pure Heart') and the hymn 'Cwn Rhondda.'

Terfel sings most of the selections in his native Welsh, including such world favorites as the carol 'Ar hyd y nos' ('All through the Night'), which has a lovely humming male choral introduction, and the lullaby 'Suo gan,' popularized by Charlotte Church. This is a welcome selection indeed, with songs of unabashedly warm emotions made all the more irresistable by Terfel's obvious sincerity and vocal charisma.



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>James, Evan : Hen wlad fy nhadau (National Anthem, Wales)
  • Performers: James James (Bass Baritone); Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Risca Male Choir
  • Notes: This work was written in collaboration with James James.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 19 sec.
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1856

>Welsh Traditional : Ar lan y môr (On the sea-shore)
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 3 min. 20 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Welsh Traditional : Dafydd y garreg wen (David of the White Rock), folk song
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 3 min. sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Welsh Traditional : Ymdaith Gwyr Harlech (The Men of Harlech)
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Black Mountain Chorus
  • Running Time: 2 min. 48 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: March
  • Written: circa 1860-1896

>Williams, W.S. Gwynn : My little Welsh Home, song
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 2 min. 55 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Vocal

>Hughes, John (I) : Calon lân (A pure heart)
  • Performers: John Hughes (Bass Baritone); Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Black Mountain Chorus
  • Running Time: 2 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Welsh Traditional : Suo Gân (Lullaby), song
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 5 min. 6 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Welsh Traditional : Sosban Fach (Little Saucepan)
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Risca Male Choir
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>Lewis, Idris : Bugail Aberdyfi (The shepherd of Aberdovey)
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 4 min. 29 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Hughes, John (I) : Crw rhondda, Welsh hymn (a.k.a. "Wele'n sefyll rhwng y myrtwydd")
  • Performers: John Hughes (Bass Baritone); Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 3 min. 41 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Parry, Joseph : Myfanwy
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Black Mountain Chorus
  • Running Time: 3 min. 30 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic

>Richards, David : Cymru fach
  • Performers: David Richards (Percussion); Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 3 min. 56 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Vocal

>Welsh Traditional : Ar Hyd y Nos (All Through the Night), folk song
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Risca Male Choir
  • Running Time: 4 min. 50 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1784

>Troyte, A.H.D. : Sunset Poem (Eli Jenkins' Prayer)
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 2 min. 41 sec.

>Jones, Mai : We'll Keep a Welcome
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 3 min. 11 sec.

>Hughes, Arwel : Tydi A Roddaist for chorus & orchestra
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Risca Male Choir
  • Running Time: 3 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern

>Jones, T. Gwynn : Diolch I'r Ior (Thank You My Lord)
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Risca Male Choir
  • Running Time: 3 min. 58 sec.

>Williams, Owen : Sul y Blodau (Palm Sunday)
  • Performers: Owen Williams (Bass Baritone); Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Running Time: 5 min. sec.

>Pritchard, Richard Huw : Hyfrydol
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Black Mountain Chorus
  • Running Time: 3 min. 32 sec.
  • Period Time: Romantic
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1844

>Welsh Traditional : Hiraeth (Longing)
  • Performer: Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Black Mountain Chorus
  • Running Time: 3 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance

>James, Evan : Hen wlad fy nhadau (National Anthem, Wales)
  • Performers: James James (Bass Baritone); Bryn Terfel (Voice)
  • Conductor: Gareth Jones
  • Ensemble: Welsh National Opera Orchestra
  • Notes: This work was written in collaboration with James James.
  • Running Time: 2 min. 19 sec.
  • Form: Choral
  • Written: 1856