1 800 222 6872

Bortnyansky: Sacred Concertos Vol 4 / Polyansky, et al

You may experience problems playing the sound clips on this page. We are aware of this problem and are working on it.
> Sacred Concerto No. 24, "Vozvedokh ochi moi v hory" (I will lift up mine eyes to the mountains) - I. I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills —
> Sacred Concerto No. 24, "Vozvedokh ochi moi v hory" (I will lift up mine eyes to the mountains) - II. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved —
> Sacred Concerto No. 24, "Vozvedokh ochi moi v hory" (I will lift up mine eyes to the mountains) - III. The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in
> Sacred Concerto No. 25, "Ne umolchim nikohda, Bohoroditse" (We will never be silent, Mother of God) - I. We, the unworthy, shall not cease —
> Sacred Concerto No. 25, "Ne umolchim nikohda, Bohoroditse" (We will never be silent, Mother of God) - II. We shall not renounce you —
> Sacred Concerto No. 25, "Ne umolchim nikohda, Bohoroditse" (We will never be silent, Mother of God) - III. For you are the eternal saviour of us
> Sacred Concerto No. 26, "Hospodi, Bozhe Izrailev" (Lord, God of Israel) - I. Lord God of Israel, there is no God like thee —
> Sacred Concerto No. 26, "Hospodi, Bozhe Izrailev" (Lord, God of Israel) - II. Lord God of Israel! That thine eyes may be open —
> Sacred Concerto No. 26, "Hospodi, Bozhe Izrailev" (Lord, God of Israel) - III. … and forgive thy people that have sinned against thee —
> Sacred Concerto No. 26, "Hospodi, Bozhe Izrailev" (Lord, God of Israel) - IV. … that this house, which I have builded
> Sacred Concerto No. 27, "Hlasom moim ko Hospodu vozvakh" (With my voice unto the Lord have I cried) - I. I cried to the Lord with my voice —
> Sacred Concerto No. 27, "Hlasom moim ko Hospodu vozvakh" (With my voice unto the Lord have I cried) - II. He sent from above, he took me —
> Sacred Concerto No. 27, "Hlasom moim ko Hospodu vozvakh" (With my voice unto the Lord have I cried) - III. According to the cleanliness of my hands —
> Sacred Concerto No. 27, "Hlasom moim ko Hospodu vozvakh" (With my voice unto the Lord have I cried) - IV. … and I did not put away his statutes from me
> Sacred Concerto No. 28, "Blazhen muzh, boyaysya Hospoda" (Blessed is the man, that feareth the Lord) - I. Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord —
> Sacred Concerto No. 28, "Blazhen muzh, boyaysya Hospoda" (Blessed is the man, that feareth the Lord) - II. His seed shall be mighty upon the earth —
> Sacred Concerto No. 28, "Blazhen muzh, boyaysya Hospoda" (Blessed is the man, that feareth the Lord) - III. The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David —
> Sacred Concerto No. 28, "Blazhen muzh, boyaysya Hospoda" (Blessed is the man, that feareth the Lord) - IV. His enemies will I clothe with shame
> Sacred Concerto No. 29, "Voskhvalyu imya Boha moyeho" (I will praise the name of my God) - I. I will praise the name of God with a song —
> Sacred Concerto No. 29, "Voskhvalyu imya Boha moyeho" (I will praise the name of my God) - II. … and will magnify him with thanksgiving —
> Sacred Concerto No. 29, "Voskhvalyu imya Boha moyeho" (I will praise the name of my God) - III. For his merciful kindness is great toward us —
> Sacred Concerto No. 29, "Voskhvalyu imya Boha moyeho" (I will praise the name of my God) - IV. … and the truth of the Lord endureth for ever

Album Summary

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 24 ("I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills")
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 25 "We, unworthy, shall never cease glorifying the power, O mother of God"
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 26 "Lord, God of Israel" (no 94)
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 27 ("I cried to the Lord with my voice") (Glasom moim ko Gospodu vozzvakh)
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 28, "Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord"
>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 29 ("I will praise the name of God with a song")
Composer


Reviews

Not mainstream, but essential
As we filed out of the Russian Orthodox Cathedral in Uglich, Russia, following a concert by the cathedral choir, I paused at the sales table maned by members of the choir selling the choir's CDs. I picked up one Cd and, as I was reviewing the selections, the choir member/salesman, pointed to one track and said, "Look. Gretchanov. He is the greatest Russian composer."
I looked him in the eye and said, "No. Bortnyansky." (sometimes spelled Bortniansky), and bought all the CDs he had for sale because one can never get too much classic Russian Orthodox church music, which is one of the most interesting side streams of western classical music, and an essential addition to any musical library.

From the beginning of time, the Russian Orthodox Church has been and still is a bastion of male chauvinist pigs. Russian Orthodox Church music was written for only male voices, and it should only be performed by an a cappella male choir. The complex inner details of the music is at its best with a small choir of only 6-8 voices.

In a stroke of genius, Chandos produced a 7 volume set of all Bortnyansky's Sacred Concerti (for unaccompanied male choir). This is as essential to your music library as is a set of Beethoven's symphonies. Seek out and buy all 7 CDs, but if you want to start with a sample, I think Vol #5 is the best.
Submitted on 12/30/14 by wastch 
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 24 ("I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills")
  • Running Time: 3 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 25 "We, unworthy, shall never cease glorifying the power, O mother of God"
  • Running Time: 6 min. 35 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 26 "Lord, God of Israel" (no 94)
  • Notes: Composition written: Jewish.
  • Running Time: 3 min. 42 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 27 ("I cried to the Lord with my voice") (Glasom moim ko Gospodu vozzvakh)
  • Running Time: 6 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 28, "Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord"
  • Running Time: 2 min. 27 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto

>Bortnyansky, Dimitry : Sacred Concerto no 29 ("I will praise the name of God with a song")
  • Running Time: 1 min. 21 sec.
  • Period Time: Classical
  • Form: Concerto