- It Had Better Be Tonight (From "The Pink Panther") $0.99 on iTunes
- I Wonder What Became of Me (From "St. Louis Woman") $0.99 on iTunes
- You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby (From "Hard to Get") $0.99 on iTunes
- Blues in the Night (From "Blues in the Night") $0.99 on iTunes
- Ask Me Again $0.99 on iTunes
- Hooray for Hollywood (From "Hollywood Hotel") $0.99 on iTunes
- Out of This World (From "Out of This World") $0.99 on iTunes
- Time, You Old Gypsy Man $0.99 on iTunes
- I Fought Every Step of the Way (From "Top Banana") $0.99 on iTunes
- Midnight Sun $0.99 on iTunes
- How Little We Know (From "To Have and Have Not") $0.99 on iTunes
Reissue producer: Ken Bloom.
Recorded at Westrax, Manhattan Recording Company, New York, New York; Rock Steady Sound Studio, Los Angeles, California between August and October 1986. Originally released on Painted Smiles Records (1331).
Personnel: Eydie Gorme, Marilyn Cooper (vocals); Phil Ford (clarinet); Bob Cooper (saxophone); Michel Camilo, Peter Matz (piano).
Recording information: Manhattan Recording Company, New York, NY (10/1986); Rock Steady Sound Studio, LA, CA (10/1986); Westrax Recording Studio, New York, NY (10/1986).
Arrangers: Robby Merkin; Don Costa; Danny Hurd; Gordon Brisker; Ron Feuer; Russ Kassoff; John Oddo; Kenny Werner; Marc Shaiman; Tom "Bones" Malone; Peter Matz.
This various-artists collection of specially recorded songs in small-band arrangements does not pretend to feature Johnny Mercer's best or best-known songs, instead combining the well-known ("You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby," "Blues in the Night") with many interesting obscurities. Nor, as the title indicates, is the album given over entirely to Mercer. There are two ringers, both debut recordings: "Ask Me Again," a George and Ira Gershwin song discovered by Michael Feinstein, who accompanies Rosemary Clooney in performing it, and "Time You Old Gypsy Man," lyricist E.Y. Harburg's final song. Other performers include Eydie Gormé, Jennifer Holliday, and Anita O'Day. Highlights include "I Wonder What Became of Me" from the musical St. Louis Woman by Henrietta Valor, "Out of This World" by Judy Garland-imitator Jim Bailey, and the comic "I Fought Every Step of the Way" by Laura Kenyon, Armelia McQueen, and Mary Gordon Murray. ~ William Ruhlmann