Personnel: Marian McPartland, Oscar Peterson (piano).
Recorded on November 6, 1978. Includes liner notes by Marian McPartland.
This is part of The Jazz Alliance Piano Jazz series.
Liner Note Author: Marian McPartland.
Recording information: 11/06/1978/06/02/1980.
Photographers: Barbara Bordnick; Al Gilbert; Raymond F. Hillstrom.
Marian McPartland has taped many programs for her long-running National Public Radio series Piano Jazz, and Oscar Peterson's first guest appearance on the show ranks among her best. Peterson's virtuoso playing is matched by his willingness to share with his hostess some of the techniques that help make his style so distinctive. Peterson's dazzling solos include a stunning interpretation of "Old Folks," a very refreshing take of the frequently recorded "Body and Soul," and delightful miniatures of "Emily," "Take the 'A' Train," and his own "Place St. Henri." McPartland's solo feature is her memorable, bittersweet ballad "Willow Creek." An adventurous romp through "Cotton Tail" is the gem of their several duets together. Previously issued by Jazz Alliance in 1996, this repackaged version adds no new material, but it should be considered a mandatory acquisition by fans of either Oscar Peterson or Marian McPartland. ~ Ken Dryden
ReviewsThere are currently no reviews, be the first one!
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest John Med (Medeski, John)
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest Teddy Wi (Wilson, Teddy)
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest Lionel H (Hampton, Lionel)
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz with Guest Dizzy Gi (Gillespie, Dizzy)
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz Radio Broadcast (Brubeck, Dave)