1 800 222 6872

The Complete Recorder Works of Rubbra and Britten

Album Summary

>Desprez, Josquin : Cueurs desolez, song for 5 parts
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Meditazioni sopra "Coeurs desoles", for recorder & harpsichord (or flute/oboe & piano), Op. 67
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Air & Variations for Pipes, for recorder quartet (or 4 pipes), Op. 70
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Passacaglia sopra "Plusiers regrets", for recorder & harpsichord (or flute & piano), Op. 113
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Notturno for recorder quartet (or piccolo, flute, clarinet & oboe), Op. 106
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Sonatina for treble recorder & harpichord, Op. 128
>Vasquez, Juan : En la fuente del Rosel, villancico for 4 voices
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : First Study Pieces, for recorder & piano, Op. 118
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Fantasia on a Chord, for recorder, harpsichord & viola da gamba (ad lib.), Op. 154
>Britten, Benjamin : Alpine Suite, for recorder trio
>Britten, Benjamin : Gloriana, symphonic suite for tenor (or oboe) & orchestra, Op. 53a
>Britten, Benjamin : Morris Dance (from opera "Gloriana"), for 2 descant recorders
>Britten, Benjamin : Scherzo, for recorder quartet
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Introduction, Aria, and Fugue, for harpsichord (or piano), Op. 104
>Machaut, Guillaume de : Plus dure que un dyamant
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Fantasy on a Theme by Machaut for recorder, string quartet & harpsichord, Op. 86
>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Cantata Pastorale for high voice, recorder/flute, cello & harpsichord/piano, Op. 92
Performers Ensemble Composers

Notes & Reviews:

"This superb disc not only includes the complete recorder works of Edmund Rubbra and Benjamin Britten, but also throws in three much older pieces by Josquin Des Pres, Juan Vasquez, and Guillaume De Machaut. It is most surprising that these three 'antique' works do not sound so terribly different from the modern works of Rubbra and Britten." - Parsons, American Record Guide



Reviews

There are currently no reviews, be the first one!
Login or Create an Account to write a review
 

Also Purchased



Previous


Next


Works Details

>Desprez, Josquin : Cueurs desolez, song for 5 parts
  • Ensemble: Flutadors
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 3 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Form: Choral

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Meditazioni sopra "Coeurs désolés", for recorder & harpsichord (or flute/oboe & piano), Op. 67
  • Performers: Laurence Cummings [Conductor/Harpsichord] (Harpsichord); Catherine Fleming (Alto Recorder)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 53 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1949

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Air & Variations for Pipes, for recorder quartet (or 4 pipes), Op. 70
  • Ensemble: Flutadors
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 2 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1950

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Passacaglia sopra "Plusiers regrets", for recorder & harpsichord (or flute & piano), Op. 113
  • Performers: Laurence Cummings [Conductor/Harpsichord] (Harpsichord); Ian Wilson (Alto Recorder)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 5 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1964

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Notturno for recorder quartet (or piccolo, flute, clarinet & oboe), Op. 106
  • Ensemble: Flutadors
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 25 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1962

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Sonatina for treble recorder & harpichord, Op. 128
  • Performers: Laurence Cummings [Conductor/Harpsichord] (Harpsichord); Ian Wilson (Alto Recorder)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 10 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1964

>Vasquez, Juan : En la fuente del Rosel, villancico for 4 voices
  • Ensemble: Flutadors
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Renaissance
  • Written: by 1560

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : First Study Pieces, for recorder & piano, Op. 118
  • Performers: Laurence Cummings [Conductor/Harpsichord] (Harpsichord); Catherine Fleming (Alto Recorder)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 24 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1964

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Fantasia on a Chord, for recorder, harpsichord & viola da gamba (ad lib.), Op. 154
  • Performers: Laurence Cummings [Conductor/Harpsichord] (Harpsichord); Catherine Fleming (Alto Recorder); Susanna Pell (Viola da gamba)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 4 min. 47 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1977

>Britten, Benjamin : Alpine Suite, for recorder trio
  • Performers: Fiona Russell (Cornett); Catherine Fleming (Alto Recorder); Ian Wilson (Trumpet)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 12 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1955

>Britten, Benjamin : Gloriana, symphonic suite for tenor (or oboe) & orchestra, Op. 53a :: March
  • Performer: Celia Ireland (Descant Recorder)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1954

>Britten, Benjamin : Morris Dance (from opera "Gloriana"), for 2 descant recorders
  • Performers: Catherine Fleming (Treble Recorder); Ian Wilson (Trumpet)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 1 min. 10 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1953

>Britten, Benjamin : Scherzo, for recorder quartet
  • Ensemble: Flutadors
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 18 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: 1955

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Introduction, Aria, and Fugue, for harpsichord (or piano), Op. 104
  • Performer: Laurence Cummings [Conductor/Harpsichord] (Harpsichord)
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 3 min. 23 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1959-1960

>Machaut, Guillaume de : Plus dure que un dyamant
  • Ensemble: Flutadors
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 2 min. 52 sec.
  • Period Time: Medieval
  • Written: 13th Century

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Fantasy on a Theme by Machaut for recorder, string quartet & harpsichord, Op. 86
  • Ensemble: Flutadors
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 15 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Form: Chamber Music
  • Written: 1958

>Rubbra, Edmund [Composer] : Cantata Pastorale for high voice, recorder/flute, cello & harpsichord/piano, Op. 92
  • Performers: Laurence Cummings [Conductor/Harpsichord] (Harpsichord); Catherine Fleming (Alto Recorder); Pierre Doumenge (Cello); Patricia Rozario
  • Notes: All Saint's Church, East Finchley, London, England (11/25/2003-11/28/2003)
  • Running Time: 7 min. 43 sec.
  • Period Time: Modern
  • Written: 1956